Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jun 28, 2005, 6:56 AM   #1

I got my wonderful new gadget yesterday, and I'm keen to finding all the appropriate settings for my needs.

In AF mode, the camera is searching for the best spot in the picture to adjust the distance properly. I'd like to prevent the field from wandering around. I'd like to fix the measuring field right in the center of the picture. How can I manage that?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Felix
SWISS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 28, 2005, 8:00 AM   #2

Press the centre button on the control pad and the focus frame will turn blue. Use the control wheel to scroll through the focus modes until you see a load of recatangles. Use the pad to select the rectangle you want to use to focus, and then press the centre button again to return to shooting mode. The camera will now focus only on objects inside that small rectangle.

Hope this helps,

Simon
simonknutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 3:03 PM   #3

Your advice worked perfectly well, Simon. Thanks a lot! It's a great help to me to work with a rectangle that keeps its place!

Felix
SWISS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2005, 10:53 AM   #4

That's brilliant - I've been trying to work that one out by combinations of buttons for months!
How does that compare to Flex Point Focus??
Basically I am the same - I want it to focus in the middle.
However - I would prefer the Exposure to average the whole image (think I can do that one - 256 segment) Got confused as the exposure uses the word Flex Point as well. So I think I have been trying to set the focus in the centre and setting the exposure in the centre instead.
Thanks for the helpfull pointer.
Geoff Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2005, 11:16 AM   #5

That moving frame had me puzzled, until I realised what was happening - the frame shows the actual point of focus, and if you are moving the camera while focussing, the frame remains on the point at which you actually focussed, even though the centre of the viewfinder is now pointing to a slightly different position. Hope that is understandable!

I've only just bought my A200, but I find the flex-point focussing mode more accurate - I just leave it in the middle, lock focus and then compose the frame.

One thing I'm really disappointed with is the poor focussing in low light conditions - in dim light, the auto focus missses at least 50% of the time, and I'm finding that manual focussing is the only solution - I'd be interested to hear other users views on this subject.
Jo G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2005, 4:00 AM   #6

I can agree that the Autofocus on the A200 can be a bit hit and miss in low light conditions.

Most cameras in the prosumer range have this tendency, but that doesn't mean it's not less annoying.

The reason behind this is how the focusing system works. It works by trying to determine contrast between objects in the picture. When shooting in low light/objects with low contrast it can hunt and often miss.

Advice: When shooting in low light, try finding something with vertical detail where you want focus to be. This can often help out.

Happy shooting!
Particle_Man is offline   Reply With Quote