Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jun 30, 2005, 2:43 PM   #1

Has anyone successfully used the Nikon EN-EL1 battery in a Minolta A200?

According to Steve's Digicams A200 Review: 'the NP-800 is functionally and physically identical to Nikon's EN-EL1'

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_.../a200_pg3.html

Just wanted to know if this is definitely the case, or will my A200 start smoking?

Reason for my question: I've seen some Hahnel batteries at a very good price which are sold as Nikon EN-EL1 substitutes, which means they should be fine in the A200 too.

Many thanks,
Paul
Unit-7285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2005, 7:32 PM   #2

I have a Nikon 995 and an A-200 and use th batteries interchangebly with no problem. I always carried a lithium 2cr5 single use as a backup for the nikon but it won't go in the A-200 holder.
carrollhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 8:06 PM   #3

carrollhale wrote:
Quote:
I have a Nikon 995 and an A-200 and use th batteries interchangebly with no problem. I always carried a lithium 2cr5 single use as a backup for the nikon but it won't go in the A-200 holder.
Many thanks for that info - it's set my mind at rest!

Paul
Old Jul 1, 2005, 3:15 AM   #4

I have a 'no-name' EN-EL1 and it goes into my A200 OK, but it's just fractionally bigger than the NP-800 and takes a little persuading to get it out. I try to avoid using it and just keep it as a standby.

Jim, on the DPR forum did a mountain of tests and found that many of the cheaper EN-EL1 batteries did not have adequate protection built into the product. It has been suggested that this could cause problems in the event of a battery failure. That said, I've never heard of anyone having such a problem.
Phranque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 6:12 AM   #5

Thanks for that very useful pointer, Phranque. I just took a look and, as you say, Jim Attfield has loads of incredibly detailed info about various clone manufacturers/resellers (including photos of stripped down batteries) on the DPR Forums. Plus, the whole lot is summarised on his own site at:

http://t5r.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/e1/clonetests.htm

(Click on the pictures for a slide show of stripped down components)

Jim's tests are done on Olympus clones, but the basic information is obviously applicable to other camera makes.

I feel a lot happier, after reading this research, about buying a Hahnel clone for my A200.

Paul
Old Jul 1, 2005, 7:13 AM   #6

OK Paul, yes, that's right, I'd remembered it as an EN-EL1 test.

Cheers

Frank
Phranque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2005, 5:18 PM   #7

I recently bought an replacement for EN-EL1, made by LENMAR (DLEN-EL1), and the problem is, that KM A200's changer won't accept that battery and refuses to charge it (led blinks), so, be carefull!
A-lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 2:59 AM   #8

That's strange A-lex. I've had a Lenmar EN-EL1 replacement for several weeks now and it works 100%. Maybe you have a faulty battery...
Frank Pappa is offline   Reply With Quote