Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jul 7, 2005, 12:01 PM   #11

Call me overly cautious,but, as this firmware is for the US or Japan market and nothing has been posted on the KM UK site to date, I am a little concerned that this firmware is not suitable. I always understood one should use the firmware from the relevant region. So I contacted KM UK via email and have just received a response.

Perhaps KM UK are also being overly cautious so as to not have any come back on them in the event a problem arises but I quote :

"Yes you are not supposed to update the firmware of the camera with a different letter as this could damage the camera software, however we have already tested 4GB cards with this camera and they work fine."

Firstly, to Phranque. As long as your camera seems to be working fine, then I shouldn't worry, they do say 'it could' rather than it will.

Maybe the 'E' version (for Europe) is imminent.

Along with my question on using the 'U' version I also asked if this update changed anything else, other than the ability to use 4Gb cards. They did not answer this specifically. Perhaps it does, (change something else), perhaps it doesn't.

While I am not mocking anyone at all, I've a feeling a placebo effect may have been created by updating. Meaning some of you may think that something is working differently or better,but is probably not. You just may not have noticed how brilliant these cameras were in the first place .

Sorry if this is a bit like closing the barn door after the horse has bolted for some, but I have only just received a response.

Once again, they did state it may cause a problem, and not that it definitely will, so any of you wishing to update with a different letter firmware, please bear this in mind.

Stevekin.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2005, 2:31 PM   #12

Thanks Stevekin, you've been busy. I guess we'll have to see what happens. Actually I think their 'bellow" file was a spelling error for 'below' .

Anyway, it's so far, so good! In fact now I'm five months into using the camera I'm becoming more pleased with it the more familiar I get.

Frank
Phranque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2005, 5:25 PM   #13

The firmware update is on the UK site. But it only mentions the 4Gb support.

As for the focus problem, I don't seem to have one anyway,
alrhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2005, 4:02 AM   #14

alrhodes, I would appreciate a link to version 1.13e.

The KM UK/Europe site only has version 1.12e for the A2, which was released last yearand version 1.01 for the A200.

Many thanks.

Stevekin.
Old Jul 8, 2005, 11:20 AM   #15

I just uploaded mine and wonder if the noticed difference in response has to do with the resetting of the recording mode...perhaps we have all played with the settings too much which has actually interferred with the camera's function? Just a thought!Barb
sophiafatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2005, 5:08 AM   #16

Upgraded the firmware on my A200 but don't see any difference in AF speed. However I don't get false AF confirmations any more. Maybe just a coincidence...???*
maros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2005, 12:52 PM   #17

I have just updated my Z3 firmware from 1.02e to 1.03e, first impression there is more to the update than Minolta are publishing.

I have a 3rd party 2x teleconverter, not once have I had it auto focus when running 1.02e it normally attempts to lock for several seconds then gives up.

I have just taken 20 or so snaps with the converter and firmware 1.03e. Everyone of them locked on with the auto focus very rapidly.

So on the surface of it, it looks like changes have been made to the focusing routine.
toy_car_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2005, 3:47 PM   #18

When I looked yesterday on the KM UK/Europe site, the most recent firmware version was 1.12e, at the top of a pile of one !

Now the site has posted version 1.13e for the A2 and also has version 1.12e for the A1, amongst others.

Choose your camera here,

http://www.konicaminolta.co.uk/frame...p;ml=0&rid=

Old Jul 10, 2005, 5:25 PM   #19
TVM

I updated the firmware on my A200 to version 1.01, and don't notice any difference on AF behaviour, nor on other settings. I guess the upgrade does "just" what it is supposed to do : add support for 4GB cards.

Regards,

Tonny,
Belgium
TVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2005, 6:05 PM   #20
stk

Tonny,

Did you use Stevekins link? I couldn't find the A200 on the camera list?

Cheers
Steve
stk is offline   Reply With Quote