Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jul 6, 2005, 1:57 AM   #1

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/co...7/04/1853.html

The new firmwares are:

A200 -> 1.01j
A2 ->1.13j
A1 -> 1.12j
Z3 -> 1.03j

The sad thing is, the only difference seems to be support for larger memory cards. A200/A2/A1 support 4 GB cards while Z3 supports 2 GB.
:P

US version:

http://kmpi.konicaminolta.us/eprise/...etail=Software

Abadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2005, 6:42 AM   #2

Abadon,

Thank you very much for the heads-up on the firmware update. The procedure is relatively simple if the steps are followed as described in the instructions. I strongly suggest reading the instructions before starting and having them at hand while doing the procedure.

I upgraded my A200 and I realize I may be hallucinating but it seems to me that the ability to focus in low light quickly has been improved. Anyone out there with a similar experience?

Again, hats off to you for bringing this update so quickly to our attention.

Mahalo (tanx in Hawaiian)
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2005, 10:36 AM   #3

Just updated my A200. Not sure if the focus in low light is quicker as I haven't used it too much in these conditions but it seems like it may be. One thing I seem to notice is that the focus locks more quickly in macro mode, especially with the lens at the wide angle setting. Also, it seems to be focusing on objects significantly closer now - this was something I had noticed before as I'd tried macro shots at wide angles and couldn't get it to focus much closer than 30-40cm, now it seems to be focusing at 10-15cm.

Would I be right in guessing that many things have been fixed/updated in the new firmware, but that KM don't tell you that so you don't think the product was inferior before, or am I being too suspicious?

Thanks to Abadon for the heads up.

Simon
simonknutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2005, 1:47 AM   #4

Thanks from me, too, Abadon. It's all very straightforward if , as Selvin suggests, you keep the instructions by your side all the time to avoid errors!

I was thrown a bit where it says:

- " firmware" folder includes bellow files. -

I wondered what the heck a 'bellow' file was, I certainly couldn't find one. Anyway I gather it meant 'below' - or at least I hope it did otherwise my camera is limping along wihout it's 'bellow' file !!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again,

Frank
Phranque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2005, 2:05 AM   #5

Abandon, thanks for letting know about new firmware, otherwise I would probably miss it for next few weeks.
BTW What about Z3, anyone tried to upgrade it, and if so have you spot any difference?
sensovision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2005, 2:35 AM   #6

I've seen that EU version have not been released yet. Perhaps today we have the new firmware??

Byez
Abadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2005, 3:14 AM   #7

Grabbed it, installed it for my Z3.

It seems to be able to lock on where it had difficulty before, though I need to test it more thoroughly.

Took a couple of more pictures....... basement, 1:20 am, flourescent light
Took a couple pictures of a stool in the next room (no light there) and full optical zoom. My camera actually lock on and the focus was good.

Looks like I'm going to keep my Z3........

Tested some more, low light focusing does seem to be much better than before. Too bad, 2 GB cards are still too expensive to "test".
KueH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2005, 3:20 AM   #8

Abadon, grab the US or Jap version.... there was no difference in the 1.02 update. So there should not be a difference in the 1.03 update. The camera/update is smart enough to keep the preferred language in the settings.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 3:22 AM   #9

Oh, and yes.... Thank You , Abadon.

Old Jul 7, 2005, 8:42 AM   #10

KueH wrote:
Quote:
Grabbed it, installed it for my Z3.

It seems to be able to lock on where it had difficulty before, though I need to test it more thoroughly.

Took a couple of more pictures....... basement, 1:20 am, flourescent light
Took a couple pictures of a stool in the next room (no light there) and full optical zoom. My camera actually lock on and the focus was good.

Looks like I'm going to keep my Z3........
I've speciall made a test on focus in low light place and after upgrade but didn't fill the difference.But I've met with wired problem, maybe I'm just paranoic but I've see a lot of chromatic abberation and barrel distortion on my image, I thought that it's come from optics and not much affected by firmware. Maybe someone could experiment with camera and confirm whenver this is truth or not?(it's possible that I just didn't mention this before since I never make a photography of this place).
Right now I'm thinking to downgrade to 1.02 and see if I've got different results.
sensovision is offline   Reply With Quote