Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jul 10, 2005, 5:02 PM   #1

Hi

I only seem to be able to take videos of about 30 seconds - then the camera starts processing it. Presume this is the card write speed - it is only a Jessops brand 256mb.

Can you all let me know what cards you use that don't limit your video taking on your Z3's. I wouldbe buying a 512 next.

Thanks,

Lizzy

PS. Great camera, take lots of shots of my fast movingsmall children - ideal.
kathmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 10, 2005, 8:41 PM   #2

I have several SD cards, though I've only tested one for video. It's the basic Sandisk 512 MB SD card. Video records to the limit of the card, in one continuous video. I haven't tested my 1GB Lexar cards. I'll run a test and post it.

: Tested my Lexar 1Gb regular card...... recorded video until the estimated time ran out. I noticed that the card got really hot.

Is your Z3 a new camera ? I vaguely remember that a firmware update fixed the short video bug, I think.
KueH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2005, 4:14 AM   #3

Hi

Thanks for your info. I have version 1.02 - but upgraded to 1.03 last night. Will see if that makes any difference but I think the firmware only improves the capacity to use 2gig cards.

I will probably go for the sandisk ultra II to be on the safe side.

Thanks

Lizzy
Old Jul 11, 2005, 5:15 AM   #4

I have a 512mb Bytestor Hi-Speed SD Card from Amazon.co.uk, and can fill the card with video no problems.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...619619-6400440
toy_car_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2005, 10:59 PM   #5

kathmandu wrote:
Quote:
Hi

Thanks for your info. I have version 1.02 - but upgraded to 1.03 last night. Will see if that makes any difference but I think the firmware only improves the capacity to use 2gig cards.

I will probably go for the sandisk ultra II to be on the safe side.

Thanks

Lizzy
I thought the problem was with 1.01 and was fixed with 1.02. It could be the brand of card you have currently. There were issues early when the Z3 came out. Many people and stores had old cards which weren't up to the Z3's reuquirements.

Treat yourself to at least a 512MB card and snap away. Or if you can, grab a 1 GB card.

Sandisk and Lexar are safe. I have a PNY CF card and it's pretty slow in my PDA so probably stay away from that unless you hear otherwise.

KueH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 6:12 PM   #6

Thanks, for info. I will go for the Sandisk Ultra II to be on the safe side.

Lizzy
Old Jul 12, 2005, 9:50 PM   #7
Administrator

KueH wrote:
Quote:
Sandisk and Lexar are safe. I have a PNY CF card and it's pretty slow in my PDA so probably stay away from that unless you hear otherwise.
Actually, some of the older Secure Digitalcards from both Sandisk and Lexarare relatively slow.

Originally, there were only 3 Manufacturers of Secure Digital (Sandisk, Toshiba, Panasonic).

Other manufacturers (Dane_Elec, Lexar, PNY, Transcend, Pretec, Viking, etc.) were just using rebranded components.

That's one of the reasons you'll see Konica-Minolta's compatibility charts showing only Secure Digital cards from Toshiba, Lexar and Panasonic (nobody else actually made them originally).

It was not unusual to see both slow and fast cards from the same"manufacturer". For example,some Lexar cards were using the same components as Sandisk standard cards (which were very slow), and some Lexar cards were using the same components as Panasonic cards (which were much faster in sizes > 256mb).

But, now more suppliers of components exist (and the standard cards are much faster from Sandisk and others in larger sizes).

You'll *probably* be OK with a standard card from most major manufacturers now from a performance perspective.

But, to be safe, I'd go with a card that is actually rated by the manufacturer for a faster speed (versus taking your chances on whether the card you buy is using faster components or not).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2005, 1:24 AM   #8

Hello!

I am using Kingston elite pro, high speed. It was cheap and I haven't had any poblems.
Sabai is offline   Reply With Quote