Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jan 11, 2003, 10:26 AM   #1

Default D7Hi and White Balance

According to the Hi instruction manual, the camera has 3 custom white balance settings (for some reason, mine only has 2, I've yet to find the 3rd). I normally use AWB, sunny, cloudy, incandescent, etc. but someone has suggested I start using the custom settings for better results. In what circumstances would I use the various preset custom white balance settings? And why? Thanks in advance
Steve Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2003, 1:20 PM   #2

Default Re: D7Hi and White Balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Z
In what circumstances would I use the various preset custom white balance settings? And why?
My opinion:
You need a custom white balance setting (with standard white card) in case color capture and reproduction are primordial for the job, and you can’t afford to “manually” correct later; for example in case of multiple lightings of different types, icluding presence of flashes and strobes.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2003, 1:26 AM   #3

Default Hope this helps

It's strange that you only see two custom WB memories on your camera? I found this feature a little bit tricky to get used to at first. I can't remember, but you may have to store something in each memory before it will be selectable. You can try this by setting a custom WB for each memory and seeing if it is then available for selection.

As you probably know, the use of WB is to compensate for unnatural light. However, there are conditions that do not fall into the presets that Minolta provided. By having the camera take a "custom" sample of what should be white under particular lighting then it can compensate. For example, if you go into a place that has red lighting and you want your pictures to look "normal," then you can use a custom WB to compensate. Below are two shots from a restaurant with this condition. The first uses auto WB and the second custom WB. I used the white part of the checker pattern on the table for the custom setting.

Their are some "photographers" that use a custom WB setting to fine tune their shots. One can even use a custom WB setting to create interesting effects. Try some colored paper and see what happens.

If there are certain locations that you shoot in repeatedly with lighting conditions that require a custom WB settings then having it in memory as a preset can save some time. Example of this are football stadium, inside your house, studio.

I hope this answers your question.

Have fun,
rsrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2003, 9:56 AM   #4

Thanks, Rob. This definately helps. After further examination of my Hi I did find all 3 custom wb settings. Now, it's time to experiment.
Steve Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2003, 5:36 PM   #5

depending on the lighting(and there are a lot more types then on the camera the custom is the better. i use a white card to tweak the color under various light sources. also i find in certain situations the shots are a little to cool (blue). i purchased a set of warming cards a while back that i interchange with video work. the basically fake the CB to think its too cool and causes it to shift to a slight warmer color. keep the golden time a little longer. on the reverse of each card is a white card. there is a 0.5, 1, 2, 3 and their a set. you have to experiment a bit to get it the way you want . but then those 512MB cards hold a few pictures anyway and shooting is all the fun. i even have a macbeth mini color checker.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote