Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jul 21, 2005, 1:00 PM   #1

I was surprised to see that the file sizes for all my A200 shots set at 3264 x 2448 with Fine setting are very significantly smaller than the estimates offered in the instruction manual (which are also reproduced in Steves review at http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/a200_pg3.html)

Instruction Manual: 3264 x 2448 Fine = approx 3.9MB

My varied photos: 3264 x 2448 Fine = 1.6 to 2.3MB on a Lexar 1GB 80x card.

None of my shots (very wide variety of subjects, colours, complexities and light conditions) comes anywhere near 3.9MB

Same thing happens with Extra Fine: my shots are typically 3.7MB when the estimate is 6.1MB. A huge difference.

I'm pleased with this, because it means I can get more shots on one card than I expected, but I'm surprised that the discrepancy is so enormous. I'm not sure why this is the case.

What kind of actual file sizes do you get with your A200?
Unit-7285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2005, 8:53 AM   #2

You are correct. I suspect the manual file sizes are left over from the A2 rather than specifically for the A200. You get lots more pictures than the A200 indicates on screen as well and the "modest" xfine size is enough that that is my default shooting mode.

Best, Cliff
reiterc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2005, 11:04 AM   #3

reiterc wrote:
Quote:
I suspect the manual file sizes are left over from the A2 rather than specifically for the A200.
That sounds like a good explanation. Glad it's not just me who's noticed this. In the back of my mind I was worried in case the camera was not compressing the images correctly.

Paul

Unit-7285 is offline   Reply With Quote