Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Aug 5, 2005, 8:14 PM   #1

I just got my new A200, and after about 60 or so shots, I starting getting these odd pictures. I doubt I entered a mode of some sort- but am I just dumb, or do I have cause for concern?

Pictures that are causing me concern:

But this picture was taken earlier and it seemed just fine:

Any ideas? I need to know soon so that if I have to return the camera I have a chance before the cutoff date.

Thanks!
mglukhovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 6, 2005, 12:59 AM   #2
Administrator

I'd be concerned, too. Try resetting it back to factory defaults (you'll see a RESET menu choice on page 1 of the record menu).

If that doesn't work, I'd try removing the battery and reinserting it. I'd also try a different CompactFlash card. Sometime a bad card can cause strange symptoms.

But, chances are, it's a defective camera. Most of the time when I see someone posting images that look like yours,their camera needs a trip back to the manufacturer.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2005, 2:05 AM   #3

After recharging the battery, everything seems to be back to normal. However that has me puzzled- was it the battery or the camera? I hope it's the former... I'm going to try and drain the battery and see what happens.
Old Aug 6, 2005, 2:12 AM   #4
Administrator

mglukhovsky wrote:
Quote:
After recharging the battery, everything seems to be back to normal. However that has me puzzled- was it the battery or the camera? I hope it's the former... I'm going to try and drain the battery and see what happens.
A bad battery can cause odd behavior. But, the camera should recognize a low voltage condition and turn itself off (versus producing strange photos).

It could also be a defect that onlyreveals itself when the camera is hot. I'd make sure to give it a good workout.

Old Aug 6, 2005, 12:32 PM   #5

How should I go about doing this? Should I just run a lot of continuous shots until the battery runs down?
Old Aug 6, 2005, 12:42 PM   #6
Administrator

mglukhovsky wrote:
Quote:
How should I go about doing this? Should I just run a lot of continuous shots until the battery runs down?
That's up to you.... I'd make sure to use it enough that you've got confidence in it if you decide to keep it.

Your problem photos could becaused byalmost anything (circuit failing with heat, loose connection, bad voltage regulator, etc.). It might also be a one time "fluke" (perhaps something got corrupted in memory somewhere that was fixed when you removed and replaced the battery).

If it were my camera, I'd*probably* return it for a replacement to be safer after seeing images like you posted here, provided my vendor was easy to work with.

Old Aug 6, 2005, 12:55 PM   #7

I'll talk to my vendor and see what they can do... after putting into Continuous Advance (i think it's the 10fps at 640x480) I started experiencing the problem after the 1213th shot. Here's what happened:
SHOT#1212:

SHOT#1213:

SHOT#1214:

The camera was somewhat hot after shotting over 1000 photos without rest, so I'm going to let it cool down for a bit (not charging the batteries) to see if it's the camera or the batteries.
Old Aug 6, 2005, 1:04 PM   #8
Administrator

I would not expect a camera to behave this way, even with a bad battery (the voltage regulation circuitry in the camera should prevent this type of thing if the battery voltage were low).

What brand of memory card are you using? It's possible that a defective or incompatible memorycard could cause a problem, too (drawing too much current, etc.). For example, Kingston Elite Pro cards seem to have a problem in some models (like this one).

Personally, I'd replace it now that you've reproduced the problem (this rules out a "one time fluke" from corrupted internal memory), after trying a different memory card in it.

Old Aug 6, 2005, 1:27 PM   #9

I'm using a Kingston 2GB Elite Pro CD card. However, the reason why I don't think this is the source of the problem is that it's not just the image that is recorded- I see the same distortion in the LCD panel and the EVF; this leads me to believe that it's the camera and not the card. However, since you mentioned it, what sort of problems have been noticed with the Elite Pro cards?
Old Aug 6, 2005, 2:02 PM   #10
Administrator

mglukhovsky wrote:
Quote:
I'm using a Kingston 2GB Elite Pro CD card. However, the reason why I don't think this is the source of the problem is that it's not just the image that is recorded- I see the same distortion in the LCD panel and the EVF; this leads me to believe that it's the camera and not the card. However, since you mentioned it, what sort of problems have been noticed with the Elite Pro cards?
Kingston Elite Pro cards are typically very slow in someKonica-Minolta cameras. Some of the speed tests I've seen show other brands up to 10 times as fast in in the KM Maxxum/Dynax 7D

The problem is not as pronounced in non-DSLR models like your A200 (since these are not as fast writing to media compared to a DSLR like the 7D). But, multipleusers have reported write times of up to 40 seconds for one .mrw (raw) file from the A series cameras with Kingston Elite Pro cards (when cards like the Sandisk Ultra II only took about 10-12 seconds).

This is not *always* the case. I have seen a few reports where the Kingston Elite Pro cards were as fast as other brands rated at about the same speed. But, this seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

I've seen some theories on why they have problems (controller used, current draw, etc.). This may not have anything to do with your problem (it's more likely a defective camera). . But, I wouldn't rule the memory card out. I've seensimilar issues with other cameras using cards that were notfully compatible (probably due the cards' current draw). Personally, I avoid Kingston flash memoryof any type (Secure Digital, CompactFlash, etc.).