Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Aug 29, 2005, 8:37 PM   #1

The LCD has 3 dead pixels. One green, one blue, and one red. Is this normal? I have never had this with any other digicam. Should I send it back for a replacement?
Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 29, 2005, 10:34 PM   #2

Well I just found out www.newegg.com will not accept a return on the camera and I have to go through Minolta. I guess I will be calling them in the morning. This is one of the drawbacks of ordering online....but I did get the camera for $529!
Old Aug 30, 2005, 6:54 PM   #3

Well.....the A200 is going back to the factory for service. 3-4 weeks I was told. It is a shame I was only able to use the camera for 1 day!
Old Aug 31, 2005, 1:54 AM   #4

This seems to be common amongst camera manufacturers - a quite massive delay in a service which should be fairly slick. Let's hope that you get it a little quicker.

Fingers crossed I've had no problems. I've had my A200 since February and now I've learned to 'drive' it I'm a happy person.

Best of luck

Frank
Phranque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2005, 10:11 AM   #5

My A200 has one faulty pixel (a bright red one) right in the middle of the LCD screen. Also, the LCD was slightly misaligned in its frame. I'm content to live with it, but it's rather irritating.

I found this in the A200 manual:

-----------------------------------------
LCD monitor care
• The LCD monitor and EVF are manufactured using high-precision technology and more than 99.99% of
the pixels operate properly. Less than 0.01% of the monitor pixels are displayed as color or bright points;
this is not monitor defect and does not affect the recorded image.
-----------------------------------------

So, as the LCD has 134,000 pixels, this means that KM would consider an A200 with 13 faulty pixels as acceptable! What a mess that would be!

Call me a cynic, but these defects are clearly visible when the camera is quality checked at the factory, and no customer buying over the counter from a bricks and mortar photo store would accept a faulty LCD. Faulty is faulty, and the percentages are irrelevant. I wonder if all these faulty cameras (though the maker carefully defines them as NOT faulty) are simply packed off to online camera sellers (probably the majority now), where the poor dumb customer doesn't find out the product is faulty until it arrives. That's how I bought mine and it's the only reason I didn't ask for a replacement - it's too much trouble and would take too much time.

If Dell can manage to get all 1.5 million pixels on my flat screen working fine for a very good price, I don't see why KM can't manage it with 134,000. I guess it's because they don't need to have high quality any more!

Moral of the story: the only way to make sure of buying a perfect product is to go to a camera store and pay a bit more!
Unit-7285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2005, 1:16 PM   #6

I just got an email from minolta and my camera was fixed under warranty and should be delivered on Monday. So far they have been great to deal with.
Old Sep 16, 2005, 8:07 AM   #7

Goofas wrote:
Quote:
I just got an email from minolta and my camera was fixed under warranty and should be delivered on Monday. So far they have been great to deal with.
... after they deliberately and knowingly sold you a faulty product. Doesn't sound like great service to me! But at least they didn't stick to their '13 dead pixels is not a fault' claim, so I suppose that is progress... it's good to know that although there was 'nothing wrong' with your camera they were prepared to repair it!

I must say, although I think this 'dead pixels are OK' business is very sneaky, I'm absolutely delighted with the A200. It's an excellent piece of kit, and quite a change from the very first Minolta I ever bought, a Minolta SR-7 SLR which was already 10 years old when I bought it as a schoolboy in 1973.
Unit-7285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2005, 1:20 AM   #8

I really do not think there was a conspiracy to sell me a camera with a goofy lcd.
Old Sep 19, 2005, 9:00 PM   #9

A200 arrived today in perfect condition. I'll post some pictures soon.

Old Sep 26, 2005, 7:36 AM   #10

I'm getting rather cynical about the digi cam business as well. My A200 had the misaligned LCD in frame too. In fact, for the past six months or so every single A200 I have had a chance to hold here in Copenhagen, Denmarkhas had this problem.

My three year old son sentmy A200to the ground and I decided to buy a new one rather than to fork over the over-the-top repair fee (after having waited for my camera for more than two months!). Luckily, I have been able to find an A200 that looks like it might be as close to perfect as can be expected.
janniklindquist is offline   Reply With Quote