Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jan 25, 2003, 9:05 PM   #1

Default 7i Autofocus and flash question -

Just shot a bunch of pictures with my 7i using the Minolta 3600 HD external shoe-mounted flash. Once on the PC I found that MANY of them were slightly out of focus. Had a focus lock on the subject each time. Distance was about 15-20 feet. Exposures look ok.

In reading the manual I spotted the following:

P33 of the 7I manual states: `When flash is in use, the focus is set between 3.0m and 3.8m.` I don`t understand this statement.

The Minolta 3600H(D) allows me to shoot subjects that are farther than 3.8m. Will the camera properly autofocus on subjects further than 3.8m when I use my external flash ?

Does the 3.8m limitation apply only to the internal flash due to its lower guide number ?

Anybody know what this statement really means ?

Thanks so much. Michael
Miket is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2003, 9:34 PM   #2

Just replied on the other thread ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miket
P33 of the 7I manual states: `When flash is in use, the focus is set between 3.0m and 3.8m.` I don`t understand this statement.
In my 7i manual , this is on page 31.
In fact, this statement is the continuation of whole paragraph which begin with:
“When the AF system cannot focus, the focus is set to infinity. When the flash is in use …”

Quote:
Will the camera properly autofocus on subjects further than 3.8m when I use my external flash ?
Definitely

Quote:
Does the 3.8m limitation apply only to the internal flash due to its lower guide number ?
I guess this apply when the AF can’t focus and senses the presence of a flash … ?
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2003, 10:18 PM   #3

Default Autofocus and flash

Thank you KCan. You are right, the statement is a continuation of the paragraph relating to when the AF is unable to focus.

So this means that if the AF is unable to focus that the camera sets the focus to some point between 3m and 3.8m when flash is enabled? The next sentence indicates that you should find an alternate point at the same distance which can be autofocused.

My experience with shooting groups of people at a distance of 15-20 feet (like wedding shots) with my external flash was not good. Iwas getting a focus lock on their faces.

I love this camera but I'm finding that the AF is tricky under certain conditions. More so than my Maxxum. I find manual focus very difficult.
Miket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2003, 12:07 AM   #4

Default Re: Autofocus and flash

Quote:
I love this camera but I'm finding that the AF is tricky under certain conditions. More so than my Maxxum. I find manual focus very difficult.
Miket,
I rarely use manual focus, and the few times I use it, I use the magnification feature without which I can’t be sure of proper focus (may be it’s personal). The feature is well implanted though: just half press shutter to frame(no mag) - release to manual focus (mag)

My shots in low light (nightclub scene typically) have an acceptable out of focus rate for me ( ~20% out) , but I agree with you that the AF is nothing to compare with the one on film SLR ( they are based on something like phase detection, instead of contrast) . Nevertheless, I think that the D7i/Hi has one of the best AF system among same category digicam. One of my criteria when purchasing the D7i was low light AF performance.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote