Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Sep 4, 2005, 10:21 AM   #1

I took several shots at a local bird preserve.

I had a few problems:

1. I couldn't get close enough to the birds or they would fly away, so I had to push my 7X lens to the max.

Next visit I'll try 2X digital zoom. I shot in RAW so that feature wasn't a choice.

2. But even after MUCH post processing... I can't get the detail in the white birds. The background has detail, but the white birds are washed out.

What camera setting would you try? See attached.

Thanks, Bill
Attached Images

BillS22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2005, 12:59 AM   #2

Use a tripod and set the Drive mode to Continuous-advance bracket. Page 62 in your manual. Set the Ev to 0.5. The reason for the tripod is to minimize movement between exposures so you can fool around with layering in your post processing. At any rate the contrast is so stark, there aren't any good solutions to this problem. Trust me, it is not the camera.
Al
Furd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2005, 1:43 AM   #3

Thanks. I'll try that. One of my programs, I think it's PhotoImpact 10, has a routine called High DynamicRange. The routinethat automatically layers and adjusts this type photo sequence into the "best" exposure.

Hope te birds don't move <grin>

Thanks,

Bill

Old Sep 5, 2005, 6:18 AM   #4

BillS22 wrote:
Quote:
Next visit I'll try 2X digital zoom. I shot in RAW so that feature wasn't a choice.

While I do understand the difference between Optical and digital zoom, THIS article gives a very good explanation.

I would suggest you consider a Teleconverter.

The best, optically, would be the ACT-100 from KM, a dedicated converter for the Ax cameras. Many owners, me included, have opted for alternatives, as the ACT-100 is a pretty hefty beast, more expensive than the alternatives and has a conversion factor of 1.5x.

I use the Olympus T-CON 17 which has 1.7x, it is almost half the weight and nearly half the price of the ACT. A 49-55mm step up ring is needed to attach it, (£3.00 for me, about $5.00/6.00 to you). Only slight vignetting, easily removed or corrected in PP.

Others use a Raynox version and there are more. Just search this site or others for A2 teleconverters.

So long as you have your firmware updated to at least version 112, then you have the setting added to your menu to choose which converter is attached, or not. The options are Tele, Wide and none.

This enables the camera to give the correct focal length in the Exif, assuming you are using the dedicated lens, but also enables the use of the macro switch, which stops the camera lens from sliding home with the extra weight, without actually going into macro mode. Just remember to set it back to none after you remove the converter, or you will not get focus in macro mode.

With the T-Con the reading will still be 300mm (35mm equivalent), even though you are getting 340mm. I can live with that and it doesn't have any adverse effect on the use of the camera anyway.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2005, 6:21 PM   #5

Good info and Thanks!

I didn't know about theTele setting, but last month I upgraded my firmware, so it must be there. ....I'll check.

I hear that the Minolta ACT-100 is a nice lens.I didn't know that there are alternatives. I'll look into that too.

I tried 2X opticle in my backyard, and the need for a tri-pod became very apparent.

Antishake helped, buta tri-pod is going to be a absolute must.

I shot at a white object on green grass with 3-bracket /EV at .5. I haven't tried to layerthe shots to see if that helps with the bleachedwhites. I also want to try shooting single shots with EV at -.3 or -.5 to see what I get. I wonder if White Balance settings could help???

Gotta love digital, could never do this with film...

Thanks,

Bill