Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Sep 7, 2005, 12:24 AM   #1

hi! am new to the forum.

i've had my a200 for about 2 months, but rarely had the chance to take some serious night photos till a few nights ago.

day time shots from the a200 are fantastic, but this is my first night shot and would to see whatothers think of it. so far this is the best out of about 10 shots i took that night. have shown it tosome serious photographersbut i get very different reactions and opinions, good and bad. the more input i get, the more i can do to improve my technique.

Attached Images

longj49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2005, 7:45 AM   #2

Nice picture Longj. Love cityscape pics. Must have been a slightly smoggy night? A200 is a nice cam. A little pricey though!

Last edited by musicarvind; Jun 6, 2011 at 12:58 AM.
musicarvind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2005, 12:44 PM   #3

thanks, musicarvind.

actually it was not foggy at all that night. looks like a slight case of over exposure.

i used f/2.8 with a 10-sec exposure. perhaps 8 secs would have been better.
Old Sep 7, 2005, 3:20 PM   #4

I'm not sure if this will work OK - I'm having 'levels' problems. Anyway ....................
Attached Images

Phranque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2005, 11:16 PM   #5

nice edit, Phranque! what photo app did u use? photoshop?
Old Sep 8, 2005, 1:38 AM   #6

Hi longj49,

Yes - Photoshop. I hope you didn't mind my playing with the shot! I think you are right however, it's a little overexposed. I would try bracketing at 0.5 sec, 1sec, 2sec and 4sec, or better still F5.6 at 1sec, 2sec, 4sec and 8 sec. One of these should work. It's a lovely shot, all we have round here is grass and sheep.

I did a few adjustments in Image/Adjustments/Levels. Thenmarquee selected the very bright spots and took them down a little in Image/Adjustments/Shadow-Highlight. To get the sky a little blacker I went to Image/Adjustments/Replace Color, selected the sky and replaced with dead black at '53' fuzziness. Marquee selected the sea and did similar adjustments.Went to Image/Adjustments/Color Balance and gave the shot a little extra red and yellow (about '10' of each). Finished off with just a little sharpening. It's still not right, but it's fun trying these things out.

Your solution is best though, a reduced exposure time. Great shot.

Keep on clicking!

Frank
Phranque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 12:21 PM   #7

i don't mind at all - excellent tips, Phranque. can't wait for my next night outing to try them out.

Thanks!