Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Sep 27, 2005, 7:13 AM   #11

I've tried the cheap close-up filters sold all over and find the results less than satisfactory when critically viewed. The problem is chromatic aberration (fringing)

at edges of objects. Supposedly there is a way to correct for this in PS CS.

I then tried the Minolta CU 49-200 close-up lens and was much more satisfied

with the result. It is a 2 element design which does a reasonably good job

of cleaning up the fringing -- I use it to make digital files of 35 mm negs -- the

full frame of the original fills the A2 viewfinderat 200mm in macro mode.

Well worth the money. Also, I have seen spectacular results from using

a reversed 50mm -- check them out at dpreviews in the minolta forum.
jeffcpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2005, 5:04 PM   #12
stk

Agree, the sharpness and clarity isnot quite as as good as the K-M close up lens either (from whatI have seen), but if you crop a bit (say to 80-90%) then the CA isn't too bad in my case and I was really suggesting itas a low cost approach to decide if it's worth the cost of the better lenses.

I find in print the results are often pretty good though.

Cheers
Steve

PS - don't know why it appears washed out here - contrast is much better on my machine!
stk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2005, 4:22 PM   #13

Here's a shot I did with my A200 and a 50mm f1.8 lens reversed on it.

This spider was around 3-4mm. Sadly this picture didn't get the ultimate sharpness I wished for. Had I used a tripod and a better positioned spider (this fellow refused to move away from the wall) I think this would've been better.

You can also consider the CL49-200 CUL, which is Minolta's own.
Particle_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2005, 6:16 AM   #14

Hi Rootle/all,

Well, i'm even more of a newbie than Rootle and also Uk based. I've just purchased a New Dimage A1 as an upgrade from a Praktica DCS3.2 (no zoom).

Couldn't afford an A2 and or A200, and the A1 was on a clearance offer at Jessops for £199 with 12mth warranty (can upgrade to 3yr warranty for extra £30 any time in first year , so will do that in a couple of months time)

Rootle, how did you do with those macro lenses you obtained, do you have any samples images you can share with us? i've just purchase the same, as again not a great deal of money if they turn out to be poor quality.

Now, off to read up about digital photography, as i've a lot to learn (huge amounts actually )

regards
Gary
nealgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2005, 6:47 AM   #15

nealgs wrote:
Quote:
Hi Rootle/all,

Well, i'm even more of a newbie than Rootle and also Uk based. I've just purchased a New Dimage A1 as an upgrade from a Praktica DCS3.2 (no zoom).

Couldn't afford an A2 and or A200, and the A1 was on a clearance offer at Jessops for £199 with 12mth warranty (can upgrade to 3yr warranty for extra £30 any time in first year , so will do that in a couple of months time)

Rootle, how did you do with those macro lenses you obtained, do you have any samples images you can share with us? i've just purchase the same, as again not a great deal of money if they turn out to be poor quality.

Now, off to read up about digital photography, as i've a lot to learn (huge amounts actually )

regards
Gary
Hi Gary and welcome to the family!

The A1 is actually a very competent camera, so don't feel down for not affording the A2/A200.

The CUL's (Close-Up Lenses) you've ordered is a great start into the fascinating world that is macro. Naturally they won't have the best quality, but they will surely be enough. Me personally started out with Hoya CUL's before moving onto more advanced CUL's, and now I use my reversed 50mm and my Canon 500d + A-Life Olympus Lens depending on what I wish to do.

Enough about me though, I do wish to say welcome to you once again and happy shooting!

Old Oct 9, 2005, 2:31 PM   #16
stk

Partical man

Seen many of your macro shots - love to know how you get such good clarity and sharpness.

I had a quick go today with a reversed 50mm lens with a (dead) fly as nothing else would stay still long enough! Can't get your clarity though!

This one is very heavily cropped, raw using RSE on an A200. One thing I really like about the Ax lens is that the macro distance really gives a lot of scope for using add ons and external light.

Cheers
Steve

Attached Images

stk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2005, 7:05 AM   #17

Hi Particle_Man,

Thanks for the friendly welcome and the comments :-) I'd of liked the A2 for the extra resolution on the CCD and EVF, but as you say, the A1 is a great starter camera (and at pretty good price i think too).

Stupid Question No. 1
How close do you stand when taking the macro shots?? Daft Q but i've got a lot to learn, so expect plenty of them :lol:. i.e if camera is at full zoom in macro mode using standard inbuilt lense, I gather that the position to stand is one were the camera will actually focus on the subject.

With a CUL, the focus point (not sure of correct term) of the standard lense is changed allowing you to not only zoom into the subject, but focus also? Is that make any sense.

I like your spider shot by the way, and also stk's fly head, pretty scarey looking - nice halloween poster?? :-)

Oh, forgot to ask, whats this Reverse 50mm you mentioned earlier??

many thanks
Gary
Old Oct 11, 2005, 1:09 PM   #18

stk - I use a reversed 50mm and then I have a diffuser fit on the 50mm to spread the light evenly. This is not the perfect setup, since a external flash would give better light.

I photograph in Raw mode, since this allows a lot in the post process.

I take a couple of shots to make sure I get a good one, using different exposure settings (Most of the time I use manual mode on my A200). Post processing includes running it through Adobe Camera Raw in Photoshop CS2. I generally let ACR use its auto mode for exposure, contrast etc, but tweak it until it looks right.

I also use the noise and luminance filtering to remove unwanted noise. When it's finally entered into Photoshop, I start by changing levels and saturation to increase impact in the photograph. When this process is complete, I tend to sharpen the image using unsharp mask. Sometimes I use only one pass of sharpening, other times I generally "build" up sharpness by doing several Unsharp mask passes with different settings (beware sharpening artefacts).

By now noise might have reared its ugly face into that award winner photo you have. This is removed by using third party software (at the moment I'm using Neat Image).

Now the photo is done, and I resize/print it.

nealgs - As you're well aware of, since you seem really informed about the Axx series, the normal focusing distance using the macro mode is around 13cm. When I use my CUL's that I use atm, I get around 5cm from the subject.

The CUL's I'm using most of the time is the Canon 500d (a +2x diopter achromatic lens) and the Olympus A-life size macro lens (a +7.7x diopter). Both of these contain multiple lens elements, which helps reducing lens distortions (corner softness, chromatic abberations etc).

I'd prefer being further away, but I can't get everything I want.

When I speak of reversed 50mm, I'm speaking of taking a normal SLR lens and sticking it on reverse. This gives a high degree of magnification, but you trade off usefulness. This require you to be extremely close to your subject.

A word of Caution: Fitting a 50mm lens onto your Axx camera is very much like fitting the ACT-100 teleconverter to said camera. I do not recommend zooming in and out with this thing attached on, since it may damage the lens.

Below are pictures that shows what equipment I have for using a reversed 50mm lens on the A200, and how it looks when fitted.

1 - Step-up ring

This ring is used to step up from the 49mm filter thread that's standard on the GT lens to 52mm. Why 52mm you ask? That's because...

2 - Dual male thread adapter

...this adapter has a 52mm and 55mm diameter. This is used to connect 3.

3 - 50mm SLR lens

an old 50mm f1.8 SLR lens I bought in a pawn shop not too long ago. the filter thread is 55mm on this piece of kit, which is why 2 has different thread diameters.

Now for the promised picture of the A200 with 50mm attached.

This concludes my very long post (finally!). I hope this has been helpful for those wondering how in the world you stick a 50mm lens onto a little camera like this.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 2:33 PM   #19

I see now, very clever :idea:

many thanks for the very informative description and pictures Particle_Man.

Should hopefully have my lenses tomorrow, as well as the UV filter I ordered (seem's to be a mandatory purchase from what i've read/noted??)

regards
Gary

Old Oct 12, 2005, 3:06 PM   #20

i've been hunting around ebay to see if I can find something suitable lense wise as your 50mm one and i've another question:

I guess that the lens when fitted to the Axxx is the opposite way around (the reverse bit) to how it would be mounted normally on a SLR camera i.e so that in the picture showing the lense, the silver/bare metal part is a baynet type connection??

probably another daft question :lol:

Gary