Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Feb 1, 2003, 11:12 AM   #1

Default Troubles with 3600HS....Please help

Folks, I have an issue, I am using the 3600hs flash with Dimage7 and the flash and camera don't seem to syncg sometimes, I get very dark pictures as if the flash fires after or before the camera takes the picture...everything is set to auto. If I take same picture with the built in flash it turns out a lot better...Any suggestions, Did I not set something on the camera right? Do I have to shoot on manual and select everything? Is this a firmware issue, I am still using the firmware that came with my camera...

Please help starting to get disappointed with the camera and the new flash that is suppose to give me better pictures.
jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2003, 12:24 PM   #2
NHL

Do you get a white flash icon on the upper left corner of the EVF when the 3600HS is attached? After the shot is taken this same flash icon turn blue to confirmed that it has fired correctly... do you get that as well?

Also on the flash, the mode should be on TTL, not M, (or Multi).
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2003, 12:57 PM   #3

Yes, I do beleive that I do get the arrow that also goes blue. My flash setting are as follows:

Metering Mode: MultiSegment
Flash Mode: Fill Flash
Flash Comp: 0
Flash Metering: ADI Flash

Do these settings help figure out where the problem lies?
Old Feb 1, 2003, 1:33 PM   #4
NHL

That's good... the camera communicates with the flash OK!

Now do you get two flash "pulses" with each shots?
If you do then, did you shoot the picture against a bright/white background? Try a darker or black backdrop...
Old Feb 1, 2003, 3:06 PM   #5

Both, shot against a window as well as no bright light in the back...ie not against a windows. Even tried in a studio...sometime its ok...sometime its not.
Old Feb 1, 2003, 7:06 PM   #6
NHL

Your flash is a 3600hs with a "D" right for digital right?... (The older Minolta won't work).

It doesn't look like it's boucing off from a window reflection or anything... Is that @ an angle?
Old Feb 2, 2003, 3:35 AM   #7

Yes, it is the Digital model...not sure on what you mean by @ angle?
Old Feb 2, 2003, 7:39 AM   #8
NHL

Quote:
not sure on what you mean by @ angle?
For example if you shoot with flash in front of a mirror (ie window in this case), the reflection from the flash just bounce directly back to the camera's TTL sensor during the pre-flash. The camera compute this value which it thinks is too bright it'll then output the 2nd pulse which is used for the actual picture taking too low, hence your picture will be too dark!

Shooting at an angle prevent the initial pre-flash which is used in the TTL computation from bouncing back to the camera! Also shooting a subject against a bright background will usually produce a darker picture, vs shooting a subject against a dark background which produce a brighter picture :?

Most studio portraits are done with a flashmeter on the subject, and the camera is put on manual, minimizing the chance for the above conditions from happening,,, Have you tried with pre-flash TTL also or always with ADI?
Old Feb 2, 2003, 1:17 PM   #9

Yes, I will try that next...do you know what the difference between the two is...any other suggestions in the meantime are also welcome.

Thanks
Old Feb 2, 2003, 7:19 PM   #10
NHL

ADI = Advance Distance Integration, ie it's like the pre-flash TTL but in addition the camera uses the distance measured by the lens to moderate the flash output on the actual subject you're trying to focus on... and not just the whole image.