Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Oct 6, 2005, 10:55 AM   #1

I have a 1GB high speed card. It is capable of taking about 15 minutes of footage at 30fps at 640x48. Yet it cannot record more than 12 mins 4 or 5 sec. So I tried with a 2GB high speed card. Same result: 12 mins 4 or 5 sec. Why can the movie mode not fill the card as stated? Has anyone else had any experience of this?
kneeslasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2005, 12:45 PM   #2
Administrator

"high speed", huh? :-)

That's a term you tend to see on vendor sites for almost any of them (including some of the cheap "no name" cards that some vendors try to include in package deals to make more profit on the sale).

KM recommends 10mb/second cards for 30 frame per second movies. Popular choices are cards like the larger Panasonic cards, or even the newer Sandisk cards like the Ultra II (although these newer Sandisk cards are not on the "tested cards" list, most users report they work fine).

Note that most cards on the "tested cards" list are not this fast (hence the note at the bottom about movies).

Here is the compatibility chart for your model (outdated now though). Again, see the note at the bottom of the chart about movies.

DiMAGE Z2 Compatibility Chart

I'd try updating your firmware if you haven't done so, too. You could have a problem that the firmware update solved (manufacturers often improve more than what the firmware description leads you to believe).

Firmware Version 1.02 for the DiMAGE Z2

You'll also see a link to the instructions (which will tell you how to check your current version).

If you're not running Windows, see the other optiions:

Konica-Minolta Digital Camera Software and Drivers

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 6:09 PM   #3

Thanks for the answers. I should have made it clear that when I said "high speed", it was tongue in cheek!

As it is, the firmware had already been updated to the most recent version. If I take 30 fps movies at 320x120, they do fill up nearly all the card. The 2GB card lists its speed as 133x.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 6:42 PM   #4
Administrator

Not all cards are created equal. So, it may have a compatibility problem.

For example, a number of KM DiMAGE A2 owners reported a problem with very slow speeds from some Kingston cards (with the Elite Pro usually testing much slower than their standard cards in these models). Newer generation cards seem to be better in it.

I saw the same problem with Canon S2 IS owners trying to use these cards for video (somewere virtually useless, with even old Lexar 4x cards working for videos over 4 mintues, and the new Kingstoncards stopping after less than one minute) Canon released a firmware update for the camera that fixed the issue, and not all Kingston cards had the problem.

At first, there were only 3 manufacturers of Secure Digital: Sandisk, Panasonic, and Toshiba. In larger sizes (256mb and up), only cards using Panasonic components worked properly withsome models. Most other "manufacturers" were just using rebranded componentrs from the "big 3".

That's why a company like Minolta only tested cards from Panasonic, Toshiba and Sandisk (nobody else *really* made Secure Digital Cards, even though there were many brands around like Lexar, Kingston, Kingsmax, PNY, etc.). If you look at the compatibilty chart for your model, only these 3 manufacturers are listed for SD (because everyone elses cards were really using componentsfrom these guys at the time your model was introduced).

This is probably still the case with many manufacturers (rebranded components), but now there are more component suppliers around from all indications.

The generation of a card can also make a difference. Manufacturers tend to change component suppliers frequently, making it harder to know from tests if one works properly or not. Sometimes you can find edge stamps published from a given model's users that let you know cards that work and those that don't (but you can't tell what they are when ordering a card).

We are seeing fewer and fewer compatibility issues lately, as manufacturers of flash memory, and manufacturers of products like digital cameras using this memory, seem to be ironing out these kinds of issues.

But, they still exist. Just because a card may theoretically have a 133x transfer speed, doesn't mean that a camera will actually work with it at more than 4x (if it works at all). ;-)

For a long time, I would not even consider buying an SDcard other than Panasonic or Simpletech (they used Panasonic components in their larger SD cards) for a little Konica Revio KD-510z I have. Konica-Minolta even had specific warnings on their web site that use of a Sandisk 256mb card could cause this camera model to malfunction with errors. But, newer Sandisk cards now seem to be fine in it.

Chances are, it's just a compatibility issue with the cards you purchased. You may want to contact the card manufacturer and see if they'll replace them. They may have a different generation of the card that works fine in your model.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 8:05 PM   #5
Administrator

P.S.

Thinking about your symptoms... I guess it's possible that there is a limitation somewhere with the camera that's causing your symptoms.

They didn't even make 2GB SD Cards when it was introduced. How much space is left on the 1GB card when it stops recording?

Old Oct 7, 2005, 12:00 AM   #6

About 3 min.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 12:03 AM   #7

Or ~ 250 MB.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 12:05 AM   #8
Administrator

That is odd (250mb left on the card). You could try a different card to see if it works if you have access to one. I don't know anyone that's tried to fill up a 1GB or 2GB card withthis modelexcept for you.

Old Oct 7, 2005, 2:07 PM   #9

When a card is labelled "high speed" it may be referring to the read speed which can be considerably higher than the write speed.

Some testing I did with a 128MB"40x" Dane Elec card revealed that it read at 32x but only wrote at 6x.

I believe most basic Sandisk cards are rated at 40x now, although I don't know if that reflects write speed or read speed.

Riot Act is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2005, 12:29 PM   #10

What you say about read/write sounds suspiciously true. Thismay indeed be the problem and explain why both the 1GB and 2GB cards stop recording after the same amount.