Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Oct 10, 2005, 4:13 PM   #11

Hmmmmm....... That seems odd... only a B/W slider. What happens if you hit the ok button? Does it take you to the main PS window or does it want to save the file? If you could get me a screenshot I might be able to help a little more. It's hard to visualize what you are talking about. I am not using CS, but CS2 so the layout is a little different for me. A screenshot would help a lot.
Minolta_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2005, 4:20 PM   #12

Ok this is the screenshot
When I hit the ok button it takes me to the main ps window and the program treats the image like any other jpg/bmp images I suppose.

Attached Images

***raVen*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2005, 4:22 PM   #13

Maybe I should try upgrading CS2, what do you think?
Old Oct 10, 2005, 5:19 PM   #14

No I wouldn't upgrade to CS2 unless you really want to. It's a good program, but in my opinion paying $158 to upgrade isn't worth it. There are a few good tools, but nothing revolutionary. If you just can't live without them then upgrade otherwise I wouldn't. Ok here is the problem. Nikon Capture is trying to edit the photo. Even though you are using CS, Capture is launching and trying to edit its .NEFs. I would uninstall Capture, and that should solve your problem.
Minolta_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2005, 6:44 PM   #15

Hi there

That window is the plugin for Nikon, trying to read the NEF files instead of ACR. You must search that Nikon-plugin in the plugins folders (I think mine was on "Photoshop CS/PlugIns/File forma", or something like that), and delete it or, if you want to keep it (good idea) just change its extension filename (set ".8BI_" instead of ".8BI").

Anyway, you can get the RAW2DNG converter from here: http://perso.wanadoo.es/dafnisfs/z2.htm
It's just as easy as raw2nef (you can use the raw2nef_setup program too), but the output file is a DNG which can be opened with ACR with no problem at all.

The white balance seems to be a bit wrong sometimes: you'll get good images with good colors, but with some very strange temperature color (say 9000 K for a daylight or something like that). Nothing serious.

Un saludo!
Mato34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2005, 4:39 PM   #16

Hi again Jon and Mato34
Sorry for being that rude about replying you. I was too busy outdoor and I only came home for sleeping. You are right about that plug-in I think but I wasnt able get rid of it in any way. I uninstalled the nikon capture and the result was negative again and so I even uninstalled/reinstalled PS CS and there was no such plu-in named nikon or alike but PS still insisted on welcoming me with that goddamn diolog box whenever I tried to open a nef file. PS CS (v 8.0) doesnt support NEF files I suppose. I remember having read such a thing somewhere sometimes ago. So I tried installing PS CS2 tryout and 'bingo!' I have had no problems opening the nef files so far. I think I have 28 days to do whatever I want with the NEF files:-) I think I'll upgrade to CS2 cause the use and effectivity of the raw plug-in is far better than other apps. Thank you for both of you for your support. Finally I am putting an image of mine which demonstrates the difference between the pure JPG format and the Raw-manipulated version of the same shot in order to show the power of raw files. There no effect other than raw adjustments in the image below.
Attached Images

Old Oct 23, 2005, 6:05 PM   #17

the russian z2 firmware is not NEF. is CRW (canon)and you see in FastStone..first convert inTIff or JPG ,after that you work the file in adobe or another program.from portugal with regards

Pred@dor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2005, 8:28 AM   #18

Hi,
If you are interested in shooting raw perhaps you'd like to try z2dng, a program that I wrote to convert my Z2's raws to DNG, an Adobe file format. The homepage has changed recently, so this is the new url (sorry for the popups):

http://dafnis.galeon.com/z2-en.htm

... and enjoy your Z2!
defna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 12:36 AM   #19

HELP!!!

I just tried updating my Z2 to the hacked firmware... and it died!! The screen went blank half way through the update... I left it for half an hour.. but still blank... can't turn it off or anything!!
Mooxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 5:02 PM   #20

hey all, i have one of the last Z2's running the 1.03 firmware version, now for the questions.

Can anyone provide a new link for the russian hacked firmware, the posted one is a no go ?

does this hacked firmware work with the minolta 1.03 firmware version or should i try to backdate my firmware to the 02 version first ?

I searched around a lot on the net for the 1.03 firmware version and can only find the 02 version as a released version, is there any way to backup the 03 version from my camera before i go ahead with all this?

Many thanks hope you can help me

Brett
brett_dale is offline   Reply With Quote