Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Oct 8, 2005, 1:16 AM   #1

Hi there. I have been trying to download the hacked firmware for KM Dimage Z2 with RAW support for all the morning but I couldn't open the link page http://tester13.nm.ru/nikon/z2.zip The main mage opens but the link doesn't work in anyway. I even tried to download via "internet arhivchive wayback machine" but it didn't work either. So could anyone out there pls e-mail me the firmware. Thanks for all the support.
***raVen*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2005, 3:20 AM   #2

Hi ,

I downloaded the file but are you really sure you want to do it ?. The file is quite small 700 kB only.

I would ask someone if the file really works otherwise it can leave your Z2 useless.

I will send it to you anyway.

Good LucK !

juandelacruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2005, 6:12 AM   #3

Hi Juandelacruz. As far as I know the file should be 708 kb or something like that. I think it is ok. Thank you very much for your help. I really appreciate that.
Old Oct 8, 2005, 8:07 AM   #4

Hello again Juan. Thanx vey much for the file. I have updated my Z2 with it and everything seems fine for the moment. The actual uncompressed file size is 1.88 mb and it is the original size of the offical firmware. Nothing to worry about it. The only problem is I cannot open the nef files in photoshop cs. I need a plugin I suppose. If anyone know how to pls tell me.
Old Oct 8, 2005, 3:33 PM   #5

I also updated my camera with the hacked firmware... The install went fine and that was last year. Everything is working great! The only thing I have noticed is that on occasion I get an error message. This is only because the card is full. Sometimes I get this message and sometimes I get the card full message.

To get the .NEF files to work in PS you need to check the"Full E5700/E8700 compatibility" box in the conversion setup window. Like this:

This will allow PS to open the images. You will need to crop the photo a little because the E8700 is an 8MP while the Z2 is only 4MP. It's not too bad and for the ability to work with raw in PS I believe it is worth it. That is the only way I know how to make it the .NEFs work in PS. I have CS2 and it works in that so I would think it will also work in CS. Tell me how it goes. If you don't want to use Photoshop or don't have it I would use UFRAW (http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/) a great free program. You will need to install a copy of the GIMP (http://www.gimp.org/windows/) first (also free), but once that is done UFRAW works great! It actually can open the Z2 .JPG RAW files without converting them to .NEF. This is nice because the .JPG RAWs are smaller file in size then the .NEFs. 5mb (.JPG raw) vs. 11mb (.NEF RAW)

UFRAW is a good program to try if you feel adventurous. I prefer using CS2, but I did use UFRAW for a while and it was fine.
Hope this helps
Jon

ps: if you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask them, and I will try to answer them for you.

Minolta_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2005, 9:10 AM   #6

HELP!! I installed gimp but could not figure out how to install ufraw. It says to run ./configure but the configure file has no extension. I use windows 2000.
Kilbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2005, 12:32 PM   #7

Which version did you download? He has a few different ones (Linux, Mac and two different windows ones). You should have downloaded the "MS Windows for dummies" version. This one installs itself and you shouldn't need to do anything else. Here is a direct download to UFRAW vision 0.5 (http://easynews.dl.sourceforge.net/s...-0.5-setup.exe) I just installed this and was kind of disappointed. The program no longer supports Z2 .jpg RAW. It will still edit Z2 .NEFs but not the .jpgs. For this you would need version o.4. I can't seem to find it on the net yet. If I do I will post the link. From what I have seen 0.5 isn't bad I just thought it was odd that the .jpgs don't work anymore. Although converting them to .NEF is fairly easy... I haven't had much time to play with0.5, but it still looks like a good program...
Jon

Old Oct 10, 2005, 3:12 PM   #8

Minolta_nut Thank you very very much for your generous detailed explanations. I wasn't able to be online yesterday so my reply is a bit late one, sorry. At the moment I am using Nikon capture for nef editing but I will also try your suggestion for PS CS. I mostly use PS CS for image editing and it would be great if I can open the NEF files. I am also happy with the way the hacked firmware works. Recently I wasnt as happy with my camera as I used to be. I was beginnning to think that it is becaming more more incapable for me. But wow this new firmware is compelety a new dimension. Now I am glad more than ever that I preffered to buy Z2 instead of another one among the same kind of other models. Thanks for your help again. I'll be back for any other questions.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 3:49 PM   #9

***raVen*** wrote:
Quote:
...Thank you very very much for your generous detailed explanations. I wasn't able to be online yesterday so my reply is a bit late one, sorry. At the moment I am using Nikon capture for nef editing but I will also try your suggestion for PS CS. ..this new firmware is compelety a new dimension.
Sure thing! I'm glad I could help. I just recently figured out how to make the .NEF files work in PS myself. I was becoming frustrated over using Nikon Capture... With a little research, a lot of time, and Google you can find anything on the internet!
I agree totally about the firmware. With RAW the Z2 is like a whole new camera!
If you do have anymore questions feel free to ask them.
Jon
Old Oct 10, 2005, 3:57 PM   #10

Hi Jon I am back too soon First of all thanks for the advice. it did work and I could open the nef files in photoshop with a black border as you said. But the thing is that when I open the NEF file only a little dialog box opens with a simple B/W adjustment bar and there is nothing more I can do more. Only the B/W adjustment??? When I look at the PS help menĂ¼ I see a raw plug-in with full adjustments. But I cannot activate this plug-in in anyway. How can I do it, do you have any idea?