Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Oct 10, 2005, 10:57 AM   #1

Hello all,

Just had my A1 stolen and need to replace it. I was basically happy with the A1 in every respect... love the zoom range, anti-shake,manual zoom ring,overall ergonomics of the camera, and, of course, the image quality.

However, I see the A1 is no longer readily available new, having been replaced by (I guess) the A2 and A200 (and maybe other models I'm missing?).

My question is, do these newer models offer any new "must-have" features over the A1 that should cause me to consider them over an A1? Obviously I see the newer models are 8MP vs. 5, butI always felt 5MP was more than enough for my purposes so that's not a concern.

Thanks for any opinions.

Frank
FrankM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2005, 11:56 AM   #2

A side by side comparison may help you:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...0&show=all
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2005, 11:30 PM   #3

I have both an A1 and A200. I still use my A1 primarily on my panohead to take 360-degree panoramas. But on a day to day basis, I'll take my A200 any day. There are a couple of drawbacks to it - primarily the lack of a pc-sync connection (I purchased a separate adapter) and that it uses smaller batteries that don't last as long (although you can get additional batteries that are quite inexpensive).When in manual focus mode, the the digital magnifier turns on to help focus - sometimes this helps and sometimes it's just annoying, so it would be nice if we could toggle that on and off (oh well!).

Some of the things I like a lot more with the A200 - first off, placement of the on/off switch. On the A1, I frequently end up turning it on by just picking it up. I don't know if other users have the problem, but I'm always doing it! The menus are MUCH EASIER TO USE! I really love the improvement in this area - instead of having to turn to the side of the camera for a couple of dials and look on the back for others, pretty much all the different controls are easily accessible through a couple of buttons on the back that I can turn on without every removing my eye from the EVF. I also think the anti-shake button is placed better - I often hit it instead of the menu button on the A1. The protected screen is a HUGE improvement as far as I'm concerned as well. The A200 also eliminated the switch that chooses the EVF, LCD screen or both/auto switch. Now, as soon as you pull out the LCD screen, it switches on. I don't often use the screen, so with the A1 I kept the switch on the EVF position, but then had to switch that on when I wanted to view something on the screen. I also like that with the A200you not only have the basic wide-focus area and the flex focus mode to choose from, butspot areas as well. I have found these handy when I don't have the time to continuously move around the flex focus.The A200 also comes with awireless remote, which is rather nice since I had to shell out a fairamount of money to buy a wired remote for my A1.

Okay, I'm tired of typing.Have I listed enough of what I feel to be the pros and cons yet? Hope it helps - in case you can't tell, I really love my A200!
gjefle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 1:12 PM   #4

gjefle wrote:
Quote:
When in manual focus mode, the the digital magnifier turns on to help focus - sometimes this helps and sometimes it's just annoying, so it would be nice if we could toggle that on and off (oh well!).
Hi gjefle!

This is sort of a fix for that. When you got something in your sights and you're in manual focus mode, half-press the shutter. This allows you to focus without having to endure the zoomed in mode. Naturally, this isn't as great as actually getting the option to turn it off completely, but it's at least something.
Particle_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 2:39 PM   #5

Hi FrankM,

Not sure if you're in the UK or not, but if yes, then Jessops have a few A1's available on clearance, so they are new, with 12mth warranty etc. Bought mine saturday gone for £199.98 (another 2yrs warranty is available for £30) as couldn't afford A2 (£400 at jessops).

York - Piccadilly branch had one or two in, maybe worth a try

regards
Gary
nealgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 12:37 AM   #6

Particle_Man wrote:
Quote:
gjefle wrote:
Quote:
When in manual focus mode, the the digital magnifier turns on to help focus - sometimes this helps and sometimes it's just annoying, so it would be nice if we could toggle that on and off (oh well!).
Hi gjefle!

This is sort of a fix for that. When you got something in your sights and you're in manual focus mode, half-press the shutter. This allows you to focus without having to endure the zoomed in mode. Naturally, this isn't as great as actually getting the option to turn it off completely, but it's at least something.
Thanks for the hint - wish I knew about that before!
gjefle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2005, 3:37 AM   #7
E.T

FrankM wrote:
Quote:
I was basically happy with the A1 in every respect... love the zoom range, anti-shake,*manual zoom ring,*overall ergonomics of the camera...
Go for A2 if you can find it.

That 924000 pixel EVF is terrific.
A200 went back to EVF with 1/4th resolution and lacks autoswitching sensor, also gone are second control wheel and generally it's more "menu driven".

And IMO A2's batteryback/vertical grip (BP-400) gives great grip and camera is definitely much more stable with it.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2005, 1:40 PM   #8

I wouldn't mind an A2 over my A200, but seeing how the price of the A2 is still very high, I doubt I'll be getting one...Let's hope for an all awesome A3
Particle_Man is offline   Reply With Quote