Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Oct 13, 2005, 8:06 AM   #1

Hello,

I just got a dimage x21 from ebay. Works great, however when I connect it to my windows2000 pc, it goes through the whole new-hardware-installation process and asks for a driver.
Before you go on saying that my computer doesn't work, I have connected several other usb devices on it without a problem. The camera isn't faulty either because it connects fine on my winXP computer. I tried installing the windows98 drivers but that didn't work and on the minolta website, there are no 2000/xp drivers...
Any ideas? are there generic digital camera drivers for 2000/xp that I could download and try?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
123soleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 13, 2005, 10:27 AM   #2

Hi,

I went to Minolta Site and here is what they say :

Compatible computers (When the camera is used as a mass storage device)

" IBM PC/AT compatible computers with Windows XP (Home / Professional), Windows Me, Windows 2000 Professional, Windows 98*, or Windows 98 Second Edition* and with a USB port as standard interface. Apple Macintosh computers with preinstalled Mac OS 9.0 - 9.2.2, Mac OS X v10.1.3 - v10.1.5, v10.2.1 - v10.2.8 and v10.3 - 10.3.1
* Users with Windows 98 and Windows 98 Second Edition operating systems must install dedicated driver software included in the DiMAGE X21 package. "

This means that if you are using Win XP or Win 2000, it is already compatible, meaning the driver is already in the OS. This is if you use the camera as a memory device ( the camera will appear as another disk ). If you installed the Win 98 or Win98SE driver, you must uninstall it, otherwise it might cause conflict. As indicated in the manual, you only have to install the driver provided if you are using Win 98/SE.

Another thing, sometimes it takes few mnutes before the XP or Win 2000 can recognize the device (camera or new memory) when you plug it in for the first time.

I hope this helps.

juandelacruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 12:45 PM   #3

thanks for the answer, I know that "theoretically" there is no need for a driver with 2000/XP. However, the Install-New-Hardware wizard appears (the one where you have to click "next" a few times and select a folder where the drivers are stored). It tells me that the device is not regognized and that I need to choose a driver.
I tried the windows98 driver only AFTER I had tried everything else (as my last option). Either way, the installation procedure ends up with a "malfunctioning" device (yellow question mark in the hardware list)
What's fustrating is that all these cameras are just simple card-readers/mass storage devices. There must be a generic driver that I can feed my crappy w2k version? (ps: reinstalling windows is not an option)
Old Oct 13, 2005, 2:20 PM   #4

Hi,

I downloaded the Dimage X21 Manual. It really said that it should be automatically recognized by Win2000 or XP.

I am sure that they are not lying. I would suspect that you are using the early release of WIndows 2000. I do not know what is the latest service pack available now.

Another thing, as far as I know, one of the difference between XP and 2000 is that XP has lots of drivers included in the OS. This means that if you have a friend with an XP, you can try plugging in the X21. It it works without driver then your Win2000 may the the earlier release, (with few drivers included). I have a Z3 and a notebook with windows2000 Service PAck 2. My camera was immidiately recognized, but I dont really use the USB because my notebook has a built-in SD card reader (Toshiba T9000)

Good Luck !

Old Oct 14, 2005, 4:55 AM   #5

Ok, this is getting weird...
I've installed every update and patch available for windows2000 and still no result. The camera works great on windows xp (home and professional), tested on two other computers.
Now another weird thing: I tried a dimage x31 (the model right after my x21) and it works great, recognized instantly by windows2000 :?:?:?:?:?

I'm desperate for a solution
Old Oct 14, 2005, 5:17 AM   #6

Hi,

Try it on other Win2000. If it works, we are sure that your Win2000 is the culprit. You may need to reinstall.

Old Oct 14, 2005, 1:24 PM   #7
Administrator

Solution: USB 2.0 Card Reader... About $20 at most electronics and office supply stores, and much faster compared to transferring images from the camera anyway(but, make sure it's compatible with W2K). :-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2005, 4:50 PM   #8

yes, there are even cheaper card readers than $20 that can read all types of card including christmas card and valentines card (LOL) , as I said in my earlier post I also am not using the cable but a card reader because of the speed.

The point here is thatthe camera is working on other computerrunning on XP, aand we are trying to find out what is wrong with it.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 6:56 AM   #9

My advice is get rid of W2000 & install XP - it's a far better operating system, and you'll get fewer problems with everything you do, not just with your A200!
Jo G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 8:55 AM   #10

Hi,

There is no basis that WinXP is far better operating system than Win2000, in fact in many industrial control where continuous operation is a must, many of them are using Win2000. Almost all of the industrial controller that previously used HP Unix or DEC Alpha have all migrated to Windows NT and now on Win2000, very few migrated to WinXP.