Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Feb 11, 2003, 3:16 PM   #11
NHL

Quote:
Which cameras are "real" dSLR's?
All the ones with a genuine penta prism where the phase detectors for autofocus are located (including the E-10/20)! This technology has matured since the film days and not only can measured distances, but its +/- rate of change as well!

Every EVF based cameras have their limitation, since they decode this info from the CCD at x8 the speed (serially) to compute the AF based on contrasting edges... ie you sacrifice some weight and speed for the compromising cost!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2003, 7:39 PM   #12

The real dSLR's, like NHL said, are those built upon the body of a film SLR, like the Fuji S2, Nikon D100, Canon D60 or Sigma SD9.

Yes, these are bigger and heavier than the likes of the Olympus E20 or Minolta D7's, but what you get is a complete camera system that can do anything their film counterparts do.

The film cameras have excellent exposure and autofocus systems, as do their digital counterparts.

In my opinion, the exposure and especially autofocus systems of the non dSLR's has a long way to go before it can match the performance of the dSLR's. Of course you must pay for it, as the dSLR's start at around $1800.

I have a D7 and an S2. Since getting my S2, my D7 has been relegated to the role of emergency backup camera. Basically, I have not used it since. I love the size of the D7, but not it's performance. And I also like shooting RAW, something I cannot do with the D7 (at least not faster than about 2 frames per minute!!!).

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2003, 8:29 PM   #13
NHL

The D7 that I have can shoot raw @ 12s/frame with a microdrive, with a 16x flash card however; this time is doubled up to what Declan refered to.

The write cycles in consumer cameras are like in the 100's kb/s whereas the dSLRs can easily achieve a magnitude or two higher, ie in the Mb/s (especially the Kodak DCS's series!). Their batteries also put the consumer cameras to shame ops: Basically it's the difference between a hobby and a tool for the trade....
Old Feb 15, 2003, 2:32 AM   #14

Instead of spending the money $400-500 on memory cards, may I suggest a Digital Wallet (see http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=959540).

Essentially, this is a 10Gb drive the size of a Palm Pilot and allows you to download your shots from the memory card onto a disk. Unless you're carrying a notebook PC on your trek through Asia, you'll need this as you will run out of space on your memory card real quick.

Have a great trip.
Albertdebruijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2003, 10:13 AM   #15

I would avoid anything from [email protected], like the Digital Wallet. Rumor is that they have gone belly up.

To be safe, look at other options, such as the XDrive offerings. You can also get a 1GB microdrive for about $200 now. Very reliable.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2003, 11:40 AM   #16
NHL

I don't know the [email protected] folks are the only one I would trust. They are one of the few companies that actually double check the files after copying... and they just came out with a new revised unit with integrated connectors (my older MindStor has a separate adapter):
http://www.mindsatwork.net/products1.htm
Quote:
Automatic notification of corrupted files
File verification after every transfer
With most other units like the Xdrive, they just copy only and by the time you get home and read the files they can be corrupted for all you know... Beside when you install your own 2.5" hardisk in theses devices, the shock and vibration rating of these laptop drives could be much less than the microdrives... (might as well leave the pictures on the microdrives!)

Also one would want a firewire (ie the MindStor) or at least a USB 2.0 for downloading all thoses gigs! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old Feb 15, 2003, 9:34 PM   #17

I agonized for 3 months over which digicam to buy. The Nikon 5700
was too small in my hand and I HATE the damned power zoom. The 7 Hi is nice and spiffy in black, but there is now way in Hell that I was going to pay $400 for a sync terminal, a bit more onboard RAM and the new colorspace. For $660 (delivered to my door) there was really no comparison......7i for me! And at less than $700
I can have my fun with it and shitcan it without remorse in a few years when the "real" digital SLR's become a reality ($ wise) for us average Joe's. I'm not a pro, but for me it was much more efficacious to take that $400 I saved and put it into a couple of 40X 512 meg CF cards, a better charger and 4 sets of 2100 mAH NiMH's.
bifunster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2003, 4:54 AM   #18

I also have been agonziing over the same 3 cameras and have almost come to the same conclusion. Two added 7Hi features you didn't mention was the bigger buffer for burst shooting (My son is in sports so...) and the color space improvements (not needing to manipulate photos on the PC).

Any comments from 7i users about the color space/post processing requirements? Is that a big deal or overstated? What do most folks use...raw format to save the details versus the fine modes?

Looking to order this week...

"I'm so confused..."
Roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2003, 7:52 AM   #19
NHL

Quote:
Any comments from 7i users about the color space/post processing requirements? Is that a big deal or overstated? What do most folks use...raw format to save the details versus the fine modes?
Most folks don't use raw! In the fine or below modes, ie jpegs, the D7i is plenty fast already since it can buffer up all the smaller jpeg files in short burst while writing them out to the slower flash cards. A raw file is sereral time the size of jpeg file, and this is why one need a bigger buffer for raw... in jpegs the extra buffer buy you nothing!

If you intend on learning more about photography, and also invest in Photoshop to extract the most out of a camera then the extra AdobeRGB colorspace will become useful. You can also extend your knowledge into workflow and 16-bit/channel colour depth achievable with raw in Photoshop and so on (on a paltry $400 budget). The D7Hi is not a professional dSLR and was never intended to be! It's just a design to cost compromise that'll allow the more savvy photographers a higher level of challenge... (except for the colorspace the D7/D7i can do this as well albeit @ a slower pace)

Most folks here don't shoot in studios either where the sync terminal is an absolute requirement! Some folks don't even realized that the D7/D7i/D7hi flash can be prevented from double flashing (or attenuated to several levels) unlike other cameras which is a must for studio shoots as well :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old Feb 19, 2003, 3:49 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bifunster
For $660 (delivered to my door) there was really no comparison......7i for me
Where did you get a Minolta D7i for $660, and when? Wow...

--Doug
Doug39 is offline   Reply With Quote