Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Feb 9, 2003, 5:23 PM   #1

Default going digital for travelling, trecking.. 7i,7hi or cp5700?

Hi,

I have going travelling and trecking thru asia in a couple weeks.
I have an old (1991) trusty x700 which travelled many miles with me and survived many rain and sandstorms. I am ready to go digital, so that I don't need to lug around and care for 20+ rolls of film...
I have been looking at the 7i/7hi and the coolpix 5700. I do not seem to be able to make up my mind. I like to do people shots so quick action is a plus. That is also the main benefit i see in going digital;, juist shoot and review later...

Right now I like the 7i/7hi because of the manual zoom/focus feature.
I am tending towards the 7i, since the price differential to the 7hi and cp5700 seems to be in the $400-$500 range. That would buy 2 good memory cards....
Is the ability to do adobe rgb etc really worth that much? I do have photoshop on the mac...

On the plus side for the 5700 (or the 5000+teleconverter) is that there is an ikelite underwater housing....

I have been reading the forums here about the focus and noise problems people seem to be having. I have never owned an auto focus camera...

I appreciate your input!

thanks,

patrick

x700, nikonos 5
Mac user
DaDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2003, 6:45 PM   #2

I can't comment on what I don't have--I can say I love my Dimage7. And like you I am mostly into travel photography. Getting rid of all those heavy film cameras and lenses was.....just so pleasant! Digital is the way to go. :!: Also, since all but the highest end stuff in digital is fixed focal length, one big advantage of Dimage 7 compared to a lot of cameras is the 28-200 zoom---a good all purpose, workhorse lens.
monsieurms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2003, 7:16 PM   #3
NHL

I agree with Monsieurms on the CA free 28mm wide angle, a rarity nowaday on digicams... (and the 49mm fiter thread)

Quote:
Right now I like the 7i/7hi because of the manual zoom/focus feature.
You'll like it more in actual use... for example the DMF (Direct Manual Focus) allows you to simply overide the AF after the camera has focused by just twisting the focusing ring. This is incredibly fast and simple without having to switch the camera to manual focus 1st.

Quote:
the price differential to the 7hi and cp5700 seems to be in the $400-$500 range. That would buy 2 good memory cards....
Actually you can buy much more than 20 rolls (1G ~ 600+ shots) that you don't need to lug around and care for: :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...082&highlight=

Beside the D7's take the cheap rechargeable NiMh AA battery that's readily available anywhere!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2003, 8:37 PM   #4

Thanks for the input!

What about the differences between the 7i and the 7HI ?
is it worth $500 ?
DaDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2003, 9:33 PM   #5
NHL

Is the 3 frame/s for 5 frame in raw, and the sync terminal worth it for you?... and of course you know about the AdobeRGB workflow which are about all the differences.

Then some people just want to pay $500 for the good old-fashioned black color! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old Feb 9, 2003, 9:37 PM   #6

I have to say NHL, I never quite understood the point of the big price differential as I understood the feature difference. I thought maybe I just didn't understand. I guess you don't see the point either!
Old Feb 9, 2003, 9:45 PM   #7
NHL

The 3 frames per second for 5 frames in raw, and the sync terminal are worth it, but not @ $500... I guess it's cheaper than a full fledge dSLR for the additional speed in raw when someone required it.

The co. also needs to make a premium somewhere...
Old Feb 9, 2003, 9:46 PM   #8

I think these are basically professional features---if you are a sports journalist for instance. For the rest of us---I suspect there is not much value there.
Old Feb 10, 2003, 5:13 PM   #9

Most of the features in the 7Hi should have been in the 7 and 7i to begin with. The Hi is definately NOT a professional camera, and neither is the 7i. But it is a good high end consumer camera (I hate the prosumer term).

A professional photographer cannot put up with the quirks of the 7 series. So they use real dSLR's, with interchange lenses, fast accurate exposure AND autofocus. Not to mention the ability to shoot exclusively in RAW and not have to wait for the camera.

As for the black color, well, that's just cosmetics. Are some people willing to pay $500 extra for black? Yep, there's a sucker born every minute.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2003, 2:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingthailand
A professional photographer cannot put up with the quirks of the 7 series. So they use real dSLR's, with interchange lenses, fast accurate exposure AND autofocus.
Declan
Which cameras are "real" dSLR's?

--Doug
Doug39 is offline   Reply With Quote