Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Oct 20, 2005, 4:42 PM   #1

Hi Everybody,

I Have decided to purchase the konica minolta A200,and will of course be buying the usual accessories-spare batteries,decent sizedCF card etc... but i am also interested in the ACT-100 telephoto lens.Is it worth buying?does it seriously effect picture quality(distortion,vignetting?)could anyone please give me any advice,it would be greatly appreciated!:?
bushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2005, 6:57 AM   #2

I have no experience with the A200 and a tele lens. I had a tele lens on a Sony W5 and it was not wort the trouble.
Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2005, 3:29 PM   #3

Hi goofas!

What troubles did you experience with the telephoto lens?And are there anyother accessories you would recommend for the A200 in your opinion?
Old Oct 21, 2005, 4:36 PM   #4

FYI: Some related thread:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=20

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=20
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 12:19 AM   #5

It was only useable at full zoom due to dark corners. It was a pain to screw on and off all the time in between shots.

Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 2:52 AM   #6

Like many others I use the Olympus TCON-17 - it vignettes a little but not enough to make me howl. Image quality is good,it's very much lighter thanthe ACT-100

Frank
Phranque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 6:10 AM   #7
E.T

First of all I would suggest getting something to protect lens, after all dust is the most common element in this world and taking lens-cap off is excellent chance for "taking fingerprints".
Minolta GT lens just requires thin filters to prevent vignetting so I would suggest Hoya Pro 1 UV, it's thin enough not to cause any vignetting (~3mm) but still has front threads for lens-cap.

ACT-100 doesn't cause any vignetting or otherwise worsen image quality. (it's designed for this lens)
Of course using teleconverter has problems, like hassle associated in putting it on, changing menu setting to get proper focal length to EXIF-data and it's meant for use at full tele position only.

I would say that in general photography 200mm is quite adequate and I would take 28-200mm camera over 38-380mm camera any day. (for only camera)

If you're into lanscapes (or thunderstorms) I would suggest getting 0.8x ACW-100 also.
Well... in case of lanscapes it can be compensated easily with panorama stitching software. (like PTGui)

Also external flash would be one possible accessory. (I have Metz's MZ-serie flash so if I have to change to other camera brand flash fits to it just by changing adapter)

And for low light photography tripod is also essential.
Or what do you like about this night scenery taken at 2 am.

But in the end required accessories depend greatly on what you intent to photograph so I would suggest considering accessories from that aspect.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 3:01 PM   #8

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Great photo E.T.! I am a real beginner in photography,and would like experiment in all kinds of photography.The only reason i specificly asked about the ACT-100 was because of my interest in motorcycle sport,but this is not essential.Both me and my girlfriend have developed an interest in digital photography,so we chose the A200 as a camera thatwe could both grow into.Thanks again!!
Old Oct 22, 2005, 4:27 PM   #9
E.T

Well... for that wide converter side here's something to look

Little hard to say exact amount of difference but I think it's quite close to say that for getting "28mm view" cut 1/4th away from height and width.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 3:55 PM   #10

Great photo!

I think the wide angle converter is a good way to go.Do you have any macro shots E.T.?