Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Feb 11, 2003, 4:47 PM   #1

Default Compact Flash 1G vs microdrive 1G for Minolta 7i

I've been debating for a long time in getting a 1G microdrive for my 7i. I just saw a Viking 1G Compact Flash card for $225 from TigerDirect. Can the 7i take a 1G compact flash card? I assume it can, but just checking. Also has anyone used or better still had trouble with Viking cards? The write speed is 8x min., but Viking says 12x speeds are common. Even though Lexar and others have 24x speed cards I've read reports that practically there is no difference between 8x, 12x, and 24x cards? Any comments on writing speeds? I don't use the RAW mode, just the super fine. I get 90 shots plus on my present 256M card.
Then there's the microdrive at about the same price as this card, but it ha moving parts! Comments.
DigitalDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2003, 5:30 PM   #2
NHL

No brainer here:
Quote:
I don't use the RAW mode, just the super fine.
Go for the flash cards (I hope you mean fine)... They also draw less power than the microdrives. In jpeg (fine, standard, or eco) you will rarely bump into the camera's buffer size limit anyway, so speed won't be an issue! http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...082&highlight=

Why 'super fine'? Super fine is tiff which is almost twice the size of raw (ie twice as slow). Plus it's indistinguishable from the fine jpegs and is only encoded to 8-bit from the camera (ie the 'standard' 24-bit color depth)! Your only viable alternative is raw if you don't want the lossy compression, the file size is smaller and it preserves the 12-bit CCD resolution all the way to the application, ie DIVU or Photoshop/plugins! 8)
... and then you can have your cake and eat it too since you can also get your pictures back in tiff all the way up to 48-bit color depth in post processing! :lol: :lol: :lol:

... BTW as a reference, a Super fine picture takes approximately 35s with respect to the above test with the inexpensive flash card, while a microdrive takes only 1/2 as long... ops:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2003, 7:36 PM   #3

I have a 1GB compact flash (Kingston) and it works fine. But I did notice that when I try to download the files from the camera to my PC, I get an error message. Even though the camera has no problems using it. I normally use a compact flash reader anyway, so its not a big problem but I'm not sure if this error message is specific to me or has something to do with the ImageViewer or USB interface.
photoaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2003, 8:47 PM   #4
NHL

Have you try a shorter cable or bypassing the hub if any?

I sometime get download errors before from my PhotoSmart built-in CF reader, a shorter/higher quality cable help in the end.
Old Feb 14, 2003, 9:26 PM   #5

Thanks for the suggestion. But I did get it my 1GB compact flash working. I think it was my pc that was having problems.
photoaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2003, 9:09 AM   #6

Default Re: Compact Flash 1G vs microdrive 1G for Minolta 7i

[quote="DigitalDan"]I've been debating for a long time in getting a 1G microdrive for my 7i. I just saw a Viking 1G Compact Flash card for $225 from TigerDirect.

Dan, You might want to check out the Apacer Photo Steno Pro CF card. Read speed up to 5megs/sec and write speed up to 4 megs/sec. I decided to go that way instead of the Microdrive, because of the power & durability issues. I believe the Apacer CF
pretty well keeps up with the Microdrive. Add a USB 2.0 reader to your system and it will knock the sox off of downloading directly from the camera. I got mine here: http://www.mypcmax.com/apcomcar.html

Maybe I'm paranoid about hard drive failure, but as a guy who enjoys building computers out of junk that people give me; I have seen my fair share of dead hard drives. I'd sure hate for my Microdrive to puke out on me on a vacation to Gilligans' Island.
bifunster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2003, 11:36 AM   #7
NHL

bifunster

You might want to check it again, is it 4MB/s burst or sustained? The microdrive is sustained... When you're downloading you are reading from the card. Try writing multi-megabyte files to the card or take raw pictures... does it take more time?
FYI the Sandisk advertised 16MB/s (in burst) :lol: :lol: :lol: http://www.sandisk.com/oem/cf-spec.htm

The microdrive is no ordinary recycle hardisks with 175G operating and 1500G non-operating shock characteristics... BTW check the previous flash shock datasheet vs the microdrive (the flash will excell in vibration though, but the users probably won't survive it either!!!)
http://www.hgst.com/hdd/micro/datasheet.htm
Old Feb 16, 2003, 6:37 PM   #8

Thanx NHL......I'll check it out.
bifunster is offline   Reply With Quote