Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Nov 4, 2005, 3:02 PM   #1

Hello

After you transfer the photos to the computer, if you check the horizontal and vertical resolutions (available in additional properties) it shows 72dpi for both. Whereas the pictures transferred from other cameras like Canon show more than 100dpi. Can someone tell me how to change this setting in my camera?

Thanks a lot.
dimage_a2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2005, 4:51 PM   #2

You can't change this setting in camera.

This has no relevance when it comes to printing. The 72dpi, which I am presuming you are seeing in the properties file in Windows, should really state ppi. That's pixels per inch and not dots per inch. Dots per inch are the number of ink dots your printer will lay down on the paper.

72 pixels per inch resolution, is simply the resolution as seen on your monitor. Take a look at the pixel dimensions..........I tend to shoot at 3:2 ratio and if I were to print an image at this size without changing anything at 72 pixels per inch, my image dimensions are 115.5cm x 76.76 cm, or 45.333 x 30.222 inches, as yours will be.

To print your image, all you need to do is change the width and height in the document size boxes, leaving 'Resample Image' unchecked. That's if you shoot 3:2 like me, as you won't lose any of the image when resizing in the 3:2 ratio. Like 6 x4 inches or 10 x 15 centimetres.

If, on the other hand, you shoot full size, you will need to crop your image to print at the same physical sizes.

In Photoshop or whatever you use you can enter the document sizes and crop the image to your liking, bearing in mind you are going to lose some of the image. Using Photoshop as an example, choose the crop tool and input the dimensions you want, but leave the resolution blank. Crop your image, then look at the image size again. You will see that although you have lost some of the image due to cropping to the 'right shape' the pixel dimensions are the same, (except, as I said, for the portion you have cropped).Only this time the resolution has increased considerably.

If you printed an image that was 72 pixels per inch, it would likely not be very good quality due to the low resolution. If you print the same document at, say, 300 pixels per inch, then it will be of a very excellent quality. But look at both on screen, and you won't see the difference.

The more pixels per inch in an image, means they are smaller and conducive to giving finer detail. Fewer pixels, will be larger, individually, and consequently not be of as good a quality.

So, the simple answer to your question is no. But don't worry about it, it means nothing.

Sorry for rambling on :roll:
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 10:51 PM   #3

Thanks for such a detailed reply. Appreciate it. So the bottomline, 72dpi vs 130dpi doesn't make any difference in terms of image quality?
dimage_a2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 11:08 PM   #4

You're welcome.

Yes, that's correct.

It's only the resolution you see on screen.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote