Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Nov 8, 2005, 6:21 PM   #1

:?
I am contemplating buying a flashgun for my A200.It would only be used occasionally so I am reluctant to buy a dedicated model from KM as they are extremely expensive.Does anyone have any experience with a independently manufactured flashgun if not used with an A200 perhaps with an A2 to point me in the right direction?Any ideas would be appreciated.
JPW2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2005, 11:10 PM   #2

oops
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2005, 11:10 PM   #3

JPW2020 wrote:
Quote:
:?
I am contemplating buying a flashgun for my A200.It would only be used occasionally so I am reluctant to buy a dedicated model from KM as they are extremely expensive.Does anyone have any experience with a independently manufactured flashgun ...
Sigma may have a dedicated flash less expensive, next choice would be generic flash, which is an excellent choice since you use it occasionally.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 8:22 AM   #4

I did a lot of research on this and bought a Promaster 7500dx for my A200. It is dedicated for minolta. It works in all ttl modes, has auto zoom from 24mm to 105mm, does front and rear curtain sync., has a multi flash function that you can set the number of flashes and the frequency (flashes per second), has manual settings for zoom and for power from full to 1/64th. It even has wireless ttl (the A200 does not have wireless capability though). Guide number is 138 at 105mm. It can bounce and swivel, and also has a small fill flash below the main flash head. Take a look at it at http://www.promaster.com. I got it for $139 US at http://new2.onecall.com. They gave me great service, only about $6 for shipping. The 7500dx works great for my purposes.

Other options, Sunpak PZ40x. About $112 at B&H Photo including shipping.

Sigma EF-500 DG ST. About $150 at various on line sellers. The ST model has less features than the two listed above but has a gudie number of 165.

Sigma EF-500 DG Super. Lots of features, much of which will not work on the A200 so I think this one is an over kill for the A200 as it costs in the $200 range.

I felt the Promaster 7500dx was the best buy for my purposes.
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 11:18 AM   #5
E.T

JPW2020 wrote:
Quote:
It would only be used occasionally so I am reluctant to buy a dedicated model from KM as they are extremely expensive...
And neither you know will you at some point buy other maker's camera... Did I guess right?

Buy flash from Metz's MZ serie.
http://www.metz.de/en/photo_electron...blitz.138.html
If you later change to other camera brand you can fit flash to it just by changing adapter.

Metz 44 MZ-2 might be best shot. It's quite inexpensive and should have enough power for good start. (more powerful than many cheap model of brand flashes)

If you live in Europe here's nice price comparison site.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 2:57 PM   #6

:-)Thanks for allthe very helpful advice.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 8:08 PM   #7

You have a good point in selecting a flash that can be used on multiple camera types by purchasing the right SCA adapter. But the inquiry was for inexpensive alternatives to the Minolta flashes (3600HS and 5600HS). I live in the US and to purchase the Metz 44MZ2 is $250 Plus another $72 for the SCA adapter.That's well over $300 with tax and shipping. I only paid $138 for the Promaster 7500dx. Also the Metz 44MZ does not have swivel capability, just bounce, (according to the specson the B&H Photo web site) and does not have the additional fill flash like the 7500DX. For those features you would have to move up to the Metz MZ54 at well over $300 not includingthe SCA adapter. If I wanted to switch to Canon or Nikon I could buy another 7500DX dedicated to them and still be money ahead. Promaster also sells two other flashes that require dedicated adapters with the same features as the Metz but at half the (US) price. I'm sure Metz is a better product but I just couldn't justify over 2 times the price for occasional use. Maybe pricingfor these competing productsare closer to each other in Europe, but not here in the US. The Metz flashes are evenmore expensive than Minolta's 3600HS and 5600HS.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 3:58 AM   #8
E.T

Then someone is tapping some serious money from those.
Here I got standard Metz MZ54 + Minolta adapter at average price of Minolta's 5600 so there wasn't much thinking in which one to buy.

For example Metz MZ44 is 173 euros (Minolta 3600 is 200 in same shop), including propably way higher taxes... not cheapest shop but one which ships outside Germany and I have currently second order coming from them. (I've bought pretty much all associated to photography from outside Finland)
For comparison that price would be little under 200$

PS. I think it's approriate to notify that guide numbers are quite different between feets and meters. (ratio is 3:1)
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2005, 6:24 PM   #9

For E.T

What Minolta camera do you have? I have the Dimage A200.There is a bit of difference between the camera lens' focal length and the auto-zoom on my flash.

Example when camera lens is at 28mm, the flash auto zoom is at 24mm, when camera lens is at 35mm, flash is at 28mm and so on. If I use the flash on an SLR it would match up with the focal length of the SLR lens. I expected this as the reviews for the Promaster, Sunpak, and Sigma flashes said that would happen on a Prosumer point and shoot. So I was wondering if you have an A200 or A2 does the Metz auto zoom act this way also. I'm finding, maybe for the same reason, that I have to tweak up the flash compensation on the camera by .3 to .7 EV for fill flash to be correctly exposed. This isn't too much of an issue as the A200 has adjustment for Flash Comp. in .3 EV increments to plus or minus 2 EV. If I'm relatively close to my subject say within 6 feet (2 meters for you euros) I don't need any adjustment.

By the way, I take it you are in Finnland. Up until a few months ago I worked for a Finnish company - Outokumpu Oy (Copper Division) headquarters in Pori.They sold the Copper Div. to Nordic Capital (Sweden) a few months ago.

Nice Chatting with you.
Old Nov 12, 2005, 9:46 AM   #10

Having considered all this helpful advice and done further research it seems that here(UK) the benchmark for an inexpensive flash is about £99 (about $172?).I am probably looking at the Sigma EF-500DG ST.A reasonable alternative from Metz is going to set me back about £129($224?).Dont seem to be able to get the Promaster here.However it seems I can get a Minolta 2500D flash for about £89($155?).I am comparing spec. on them all but bearing in mind it will be for occasional use only and really I only want it as a more powerful and controllable flash and it will almost certainly be used on auto most of the time I may well end up with the Minolta.I'll keep thinking before I commit.