Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Nov 9, 2005, 7:19 PM   #1

Hi,

i took delivery of a new z3 yesterday and a 512mb sandisk ultra II sd card. after taking 20 or so photos and a couple of short movie clips, the camera started locking up to the point of me having to open the battery cover to power it down. after a few attempts at formatting the card, the camera kept giving the message that the card was unuseable (or words to that effect). by this time i thought i had bought a pile of junk, even though i was extremely impressed up to that point. anyway, turns out that the sandisk card was corrupted beyond all rescue, so thats gone back to be swapped, meanwhile i have come across a serious design flaw, or the camera is faulty. when the batteries go flat and i take them out and replace them, the clock/date/time need resetting.

can the batteries be charged while in the camera via the usb cable? i have an el cheapo praktica and that has that feature.

is this normal behaviour for this model of camera, and if so, can anyone recommend something of a similar price with a similar video/photo capability. it cost me £180, and i could possibly stretch a little bit further if shoved!

i have been playing around with it using the supplied 16mb card today (hard work that is) and i really like the z3 apart from the problems i mentioned above.

any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Dave

p.s. i forgot to ask if anyone else has had problems with sandisk ultra II cards on this camera, and if so, what would be a good alternative?. cheers
Hoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2005, 8:54 AM   #2

Hi,

I've been using My Z3 since May this year and I am satisfied with the performance, especially the rapid shot that I can make (3 to 4 frames per second) , very useful whan I am taking picture of my young daughters. I also have an SD II 512 MB which I bought together with the camera and a set of Panasonic 2300 mA battery.

Yes, the hanging happend to me occasionally, maybe 5 times since May and I have to remove the battery to reset it. I noticed that it only happened when I use it outdoors in a trip. I don't know if it is a coincidence. I also have to set the date and time when t happend. It seems the Z3 has no dedicated battery just for the clock and calendar.

As for the charging, I dont think that you can charge the battery while it is in the camera through the USB. Since May Ive already taken about40 full CD's of pictures and Videos, the battery would normally last up to 3 to 4 512mB memory dump. This is about 600 to 800 pictures. I seldom use the LCD to save battery power.

I paid 360 Swiss Francs (About $ 280) for this camera in May so I think it was a bargain condidering all the features that it has.

juandelacruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2005, 12:43 PM   #3

thanks for the reply!

unfortunately, another unforgivable flaw has surfaced today, and that is the usb cover, it keeps popping open and now wont stay shut. even firmware cant sort that one

i think im cursed:angry:

ill get it sent back tomorrow.

could anyone comment if a panasonic z5 is a better bet? its a bit more expensive, but i can live with that if it doesnt have such fundamental flaws that the z3 has.

thanks in advance.

Dave
Old Nov 10, 2005, 4:04 PM   #4

Buy a set of backup batteries. Whenever I remove dead batteries, I just pop in another fully charged set so I never have my date/time reset. There is an internalbattery but it only lasts for an hour or so, I believe.

As for the SD card, haveyou triedreformatting it in Windows with an external card reader ?
Riot Act is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2005, 5:24 PM   #5

the batteries were replaced with a fresh set right away (uniross 2500). the loss of clock/date/time happens if its 10-15 seconds to change the batteries or 10 mins!

i was unable to erase 1 movie clip from the card, using the camera or windows xp.

i have arranged for the camera to go back for a refund now, a shame really, but if im honest, the build quality was so bad that it would have niggled me if i had kept it.

so, im now on the lookout for a new camera. i think ill try the newbies forum for some advice.

thanks for your help, much appreciated.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 6:06 PM   #6

Try chkdisk /ror Norton Disk Doctor to repair the errors on the card.
Riot Act is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2005, 10:11 AM   #7

Do not use USB for tanferring the pictures, the connector is so tiny and it is not even leveled, it is slightly tilted and if somebody dos not know this, he ma force the plug on the connector at a wrog angle. Buy a card reader, it is faster and you don,t have to turn on the camera while you are getting t he files.

Are you sure that the unit is brand new ? Maybe it is a refurbished unit ? In any case send it while the warranty is valid. Do not be so hasty in deciding to go for other brand or model, because for me Z3 has a balance of everything.
juandelacruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2005, 11:47 AM   #8

yes, the unit was brand new from www.comet.co.uk .

it came sealed in cellophane and nothing in the box had been opened. it was sold as a new unit too.

i have arranged for it to be returned, because as i say, it would have niggled at me, knowing what has gone wrong with it in only 2 days.

i understand what you are saying about getting a card reader, but on the other hand, surely opening the usb cover 2 or 3 times shouldnt lead to it springing open after only 2 days.

thanks for the replies though.
Old Nov 11, 2005, 1:13 PM   #9

The battery voltage sensor seems a bit optimistic - it's best to replace the batteries as soon as the low battery indicator shows up. I have had the date/time info get lost only if I've allowed the batteries to go flat while using the camera (ie when it locks-up).

Normally, the clock keeps on ticking with no batteries in for quite a while (I can remove the batteries, charge them up and rerturn them without the clock stopping).

The rubber cover over the usb socket does not seem to be a problem in the warmer weather but I find it's far easier to whip the card out and drop it into a card reader.

A friend of mine bought himself a Panny FZ10 and then a Z3 for his wife after seeing mine - he liked the Z3's super-macro, the non-propietary battery, the speed of operation, the size and the bigger EVF. Another friend took his FZ20 to Morocco, it lasted 2 days before getting jammed by sand.

Good luck in finding a better specified camera at the same price (or near it) - let us know how you get on.

Clive
More thoughts at http://kcegginton.fotopic.net

Clive Egginton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2005, 6:26 PM   #10

cheers clive,

the more i use the z3, the more i like it, so i think i may just swap it for another one and see if i was just unlucky or indeed if i am cursed with cameras!

to be honest, i am weary from doing so much reading over the last few days and it seems each has their own merits and also pitfalls, and you are right, to get something with features close to this, its going to cost me more money. if the sandisk card works ok when it comes back, ill get another one of those. £17.99 for a sandisk ultra II 512mb from mymemory.co.uk thats the cheapest i could find.

dave