Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Dec 24, 2005, 10:57 PM   #1

Hi.

KM has found that some cameras of above mentioned models have faulty CCD chips and offers a free repair.

http://www.konicaminoltasupport.com/...tice_en.0.html

Regards Johan

http://johanbrouwer.fotopic.net
Yogibear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2006, 9:48 AM   #2

Thanks!
got a question tho, how can i find out when is my camera manufactured?
is there way to check?
my camera is dimage a1 and yes it's broken, showing black and sometime distored lines.
and yes i haven't gone to the nearest service center, since it's been busy holiday season and i'm not faithfully trust my local konica minolta service center.

thx in advance.
XoMartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 4:41 PM   #3

Hi.

Normally, your KM repair service can tell you what the production date was by the serial number. What they CAN'T say, however, is if a camera has a faulty CCD or not, so they won't replace a chip unless it's broken. In your case, I would insist ona repair because obviously your CCd is faulty. Try to email the national KM representative explaining your problem and they will probably tell you to send it in.

Good luck and best regards

Johan
Yogibear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 4:29 AM   #4

can anyone tell me if this is the same problem that they are experience when they have that CCD problem? lately My A1 acted strangely first 10 shots when its idle for maybe half a day, pictures would come out like this (attached picture) after that it would be back to nromal again. anyone experince the same problem.
Attached Images

taolang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 1:16 PM   #5
E.T

taolang wrote:
Quote:
can anyone tell me if this is the same problem that they are experience when they have that CCD problem? lately My A1 acted strangely first 10 shots when its idle for maybe half a day,* pictures would come out like this (attached picture) after that it would be back to nromal again. anyone experince the same problem.
Loose contacts could easily explain such symptoms, after warming up little contact would start to work.

I suggest sending email to their support and attaching that image to it with report of problem.
Also serial number would be good to include.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 3:52 PM   #6

Yep, looks like it alright, Taolang. :sad:
EKMurakami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 3:57 PM   #7

Thanks for the info! I just got my Minolta back after waitinga WHOLE month.:O It came back from Minolta NO CHARGE. :blah:I couldn't believe it. I thought I had done something to it when I went off island to Oahu in December. I would sometimes think it was due to me putting it through the X-Ray machine at the airport. :?I'm glad that Minolta had a recall on this issue. :idea:I really like my A1 and wouldn't want to use any other camera.:-)
Old Jan 29, 2006, 1:31 AM   #8

Companies Ignore Defects in Digital Cameras

To All:

Check this out: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...a_defects.html

I could not believe this when I read it.

The companies say they will repair the cameras if the chips fail and have listed the affected models on their Web sites. But they have refused to issue a broad recall, saying that not all of the chips will fail.

The camera companies were reluctant to issue a public recall because they feared it would have a negative impact on sales during the busy holiday season, industry sources said. The stonewall tactic the companies have chosen resembles the "silent recalls" auto manufacturers sometimes use to avoid the publicity and expense of broad recalls.

My advice to all those reading this, get it fixed asap and definitely before March 31, 2006 when they discontinue production of cameras. Website: http://www.marketnews.ca/news_detail.asp?nid=1414

Here's another site to log on to:
http://online.wsj.com/public/article..._20061027.html

This article says that repair times are uncertain because of parts availability.

Old Jan 29, 2006, 3:01 AM   #9
E.T

Service is very apparently transferred to Sony when KM officially "retires".
Actually they don't have spare CCDs for oldest models and at least KM has been replacing those with newer cameras...
(Few ones have got A2 as replacement for 7-serie camera)

And that news starts to stink quite badly as deliberate...
They left cameras of strong PR muscle companies, Canon and Sony away from that list!
(Canon has longest list of different models)

And equally Fuji screwed in their own "Super" CCDs
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0510/05...i_advisory.asp

But well, that site seems to be oversaturated with that American "get rich if someone makes mistake"-attitude.
Plus equally much of ignorance... there ain't so many manufacturers making basic electronic components so I bet there's huge amount of common parts in all digicams. (and in all electronics)
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2006, 2:52 AM   #10

Theseare some pictures showing what my camera viewfinder used to see.