Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jul 5, 2002, 6:19 AM   #1
NHL

Default Fixing D7 slipping zoom ring

On my 3rd trip to the VI this year, the D7 rubber zoom ring slip badly. What I've found is the 'pink' gel lubricant that Minolta uses for the zoom mechanism liquefied at extreme beach temperature, and slip under the rubber ring and its lens barrel. This of course make the rubber ring slide when twisted, and prevent the distance scale from lining up with the stationary markings.

What I did was peel the rubber zoom ring back, and temporary clean the oily residue with 'Windex' which seems to work just fine... I then went on an extra step on dipping a few drops of rubber cement (easily cleaned by wiping and doesn't damage the finish) which seems to make it stick even better than original !!!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2002, 4:32 PM   #2

Default is that camera that bad?

how old is your camera?
I got mine in february , and the past month , had the same trouble
I think mine was worse since the metal sheets under the rubber band got loosen
Iam wonderingif if the camera is really that bad in his construction do you think it will last , at least a year?
chanoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2002, 10:28 PM   #3
NHL

I got my october last year, and I don't think it's bad. It was working fine until I took it to the Carribean several time, and I believe it got too hot that the oily lubricant slip under the zoom ring. Actually I'm quite happy with the fix and haven't had the problem this time around!

There's no metal under the rubber ring, just black plastic!

[Edited on 7-9-2002 by NHL]
Old Jul 9, 2002, 1:19 AM   #4

Default plastic?

man!! that is worse than I though
What Idid with mine is wrap it with transparent tape and seal trhe tape with super glue I hope it will resist at least until something better ( no minolta of course )but no so expansive hit the market. Ilike it the features of the minolta , a pity is that fragile
LEARNING IN THE HARD WAY !!
Old Jul 9, 2002, 5:58 AM   #5
NHL

chanoc

The camera is metal, but the lens barrel is made of polycarbonate, just like many cameras for lightness (including the D60 entire body) so I don't think it's anymore fragile. In fact all you have to do is to peel back the rubber ring and clean up the oily residue that leaked from the lens, and that is all that is really needed!

I wouldn't use superglue since it'll mess up the camera finish! The reason I put rubber cement (same stuff use to adhere pictures to photo mats) because it can easily be removed with just the finger, but would add more friction... Some of my older Canon lens did it too, but there was no scale on the rubber ring so they weren't noticed...
Old Jul 9, 2002, 11:11 AM   #6

Default nhl

I did put the super glue only over the clear tape for to avoid the tape to unwrapnot over eny piece of the camera
that was for to keep in place the piece of plastic, and to say it is not fragile, is to say to much ;in four months, the camera is falling in parts, come on ;I have a pentax zx-5n almost for 4 , years without eny trouble, and my nikon fm3 , and the same, no trouble at all ; it is really a pity
that such a nice camera come builded in that way .
I been testing other cameras trying to replace the minolta , and no one convince me, the e-10 and e-20 is such a beautiful camera, the handing is nice , like a real slr, but , no review through the viewfinder, slow review, and only till 320 iso; the sony ;... that is not definitely for me ; the shape of the camera, it keep it away from my taste.
I will keep this camera until fall full in parts or something better comes in the way,.......bye
Old Jul 10, 2002, 7:07 AM   #7
NHL

Chanoc

I'll agree with you that there's nothing in this price range that come close to the D7(i) for the features and performance.

I don't think the camera is falling apart for a slipping rubber ring. I agree it's more a design flaw for failing to seal the gel lubricant properly, but I have subjected the D7 to the extreme hot, humid, and salty weather (not including some quick rain showers from the islands) and I think the camera has withstood the tests pretty well. I can't imagine taking a $3000-4000 dSLR in theses islands hopping / slippery rock climbing circumstances. Both my CP990 and Agfa has had their electrical contacts cleaned for similar exposures... (I have taken both cameras apart and cleans the contact areas below the switches for salt spray).

I'm home now and I'm getting the last few Carribean sands from the cameras and the bags... Another 5G of shooting... The D7 has served me well and me too I'm looking for the next best thing... Hopefully by Xmas, that's another reason not to spend too much, since there's always a better one next year!!!

--> BTW may be I'm too easily impressed or familiar with short development cycles, but My Agfa has had it's 'dislocated joint' problem, the Coolpix 900's(after 4 iterations) still has it's rubber grip peeling off, and of-course you are aware of the G2 cracking body as well... So growing pain is part of the process and Minolta is doing their best with the D7i...(2nd iteration so far). Film cameras has what 50-100+ years below it's belt...

[Edited on 7-11-2002 by NHL]
Old Jul 12, 2002, 9:35 AM   #8
NHL

I'm in the surf for this shot! I would be thinking twice before taking a dSLR and it's IS stabilized zoom...
BTW, the D7 and the 990 were in a pelican case for the swim from the boat to the rocks !

"...the e-10 and e-20 is such a beautiful camera...", but only skin deep...

[Edited on 7-12-2002 by NHL]
Old Jul 12, 2002, 10:50 AM   #9

with my D7 there was a problem with the original eye cup. because the eye piece sticks out againt the body (mine) the rubbing started to abrade and eventually pulled it away and tore it from the mount. sent it to minolta. sort of expected to get it back with a new eye cup but same quality. i was wrong. it came back with a new eye cup better material.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2002, 8:47 AM   #10
NHL

... Just donate to PBase to fix broken link for the previous post!

Virgin Gorda, BVI

... and you can see a fish @ the lower left corner

[Edited on 7-20-2002 by NHL]