Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jan 14, 2006, 10:08 AM   #1

When using a Polarizing Filter on my Dimage A2, many of the resulting photos end up with vignetting (darkening) on the corners. I'm not using a step-up ring, wide-angle lenses or telephoto lenses. What can I do to solve this problem?
retiredrhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2006, 12:00 PM   #2
E.T

First of all only thinnest filters, like Hoya Pro 1 serie, doesn't cause vignetting. (partially because lens has real wide angle)
So if you just bought thick El Cheapo polarizer it's guaranteed to cause vignetting.
Only way for thicker filters would be using step up to say 58 or 62mm.

These apply to Minolta's prosumers from original 7 to A200:
http://webpages.charter.net/bbiggers...on_lenses.html
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 3:08 PM   #3

Thank You for your reply. Several people, at the web site you directed me too, complain of vignetting from the 49mm Hoya Pro 1. To be fair, others say that theirs did not cause vignetting. In addition, that web site is talking about vignetting for the Dimage 7 series and I'm reluctant to use their results as a remedy for my Dimage A2. Your suggestion to use a 62mm Step-up ring with afilter looks good. Someone else suggested that a thin filter should also be used with the 62 mm step-up ring. Anyone else have a suggestion?
retiredrhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 6:28 AM   #4
E.T

Lens is same from original Minolta 7 to A200 so everything applies to all cameras of that product line.

I have used Hoya Pro 1 (barely 4mm thick) in both 7i and A2 and generally there isn't any vignetting, only in certain conditions there's slight sign of vignetting.

Downside of bigger filters is that you can't use lens shade.
Also if step up itself doesn't widen immediately after male thread it might also cause vignetting, and apparently some step ups are longer than others. So step up should be thin itself and widen immediately after male thread... remember that little wider diameter doesn't help if that hole is farther away from front element of lens.
(for visualizing it take stump of tube and look through it while moving it farther from eye)
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 11:38 AM   #5

I had an old (but good) Minolta 55mm polarizer from my Minolta SLR. I also had a 49 to 55mm step up ring to adapt the filter to a newer film SLR. The combination worked fine on my D7i with no vignetting at all. I don't think the Minolta polarizer is particularly thin – in fact it seems pretty hefty and fat compared to most. But the step up ring is extremely thin, and I think that is the most important consideration as E.T. points out.

If you are buying the filter from scratch I suppose 62mm is the safer choice, but a thin step-up ring and a 55mm filter work fine for me.

All that being said I ended up not using the polarizer much after a while. There aren't reflections that need removing often enough to regularly carry the filter and find a place for the lens hood when using it. And the sky can be darkened more consistently in Photoshop. Sky polarization is uneven and often shows in wide angle shots. But if you shoot without the polarizer and start with an even colored sky you get better results with post-processing IMO. A polarizer was a primary tool with film and slides, but it is usually more of a hassle than it is worth with digital for me.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote