Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jul 5, 2002, 7:08 PM   #1

Default uv and c pol filter on minolta 7i (vignetter)

i have problem with 7i if adding uv filter, especially, c pol filter (it is thicker than uv filter). the camera lens is so precise that i can't add any filter without cause vignetter (most under 55 mm focal L)

i want to order 49/52 setup ring. before i buy, please give me advise on:

1, can the problem be solve if i use 52 mm dia filter and the setup ring?
2, can i still use the original shader?

thank you
zhu001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2002, 8:44 PM   #2

Default 49-62

Without testing individual filters on your camera the only way to be sure you don't get vignetting is to use a 49mm to 62mm stepping ring. No, the lens hood won't fit with a stepping ring. You can buy a generic lens hood that will fit with the ring.

Hers's a page that lists various folks' results--filters near the bottom of the page:

http://webpages.charter.net/bbiggers...on_lenses.html

You'll have to cut and paste and remove the space that this dumb forum software sticks in.

[Edited on 7-6-2002 by JimHunt]
JimHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2002, 9:32 PM   #3

High quality filters like Heliopan have thinner rings than cheap filters. I don't have a vignette problem with a UV filter on my D7. Polarizers are another matter. Nikon makes it's polarizer with a much larger diameter glass, it's almost like having a built in step up ring.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2002, 9:54 PM   #4
NHL

B&W and Minolta's own polarizers are thinner than most for the D7(i).
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2002, 2:40 PM   #5

Default thanks

thanks guys.

it is very helpful.
zhu001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2002, 8:04 PM   #6

Default filters

i have a set of cokin p series filters with a holder. yes i know that glass filters are supposed better. but my singh-ray rowell ND filter set is in th p format. these filters are perfection for cleaning up a lot of shots up that would normally be impossible to take because of contrasting light levels. back to the filter. 49mm to p adapter, no other filter on, works like a charm. if you use any other lens 58mm or bigger and have an existng cp filter this will also work with a step up ring. no lens shade though on either setup of course. minolta didn't make their lens shade tulip shaped for cool looks. get the thinnest ring possible on the filter and step up ring. over 4mm total thickness is vignette time if you stay with 49mm. go to the photo shop and play with the setup first before you commit

[Edited on 7-7-2002 by sjms]

sjms is offline   Reply With Quote