Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Feb 7, 2006, 6:32 PM   #1

Hi All,

The zoom on my Z3 has suddenly stopped working... The camera is just over a year old, not damaged or dropped.

All the functions work fine, including the W|T slider which shows the zoom bar moving on the screen but the lense does not move. It does motor in/out of the body on power up/down so mechanically it appears fine.

Have upgraded the firmware to 1.03e and sent it back to Minolta. They said no parts are needed but it will cost $200 to repair!!!???

I thought it must be some software switch or setting that only needs changing...

Any ideas?

Thank

Mark. :?
medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2006, 4:24 PM   #2

Hi,

You're in luck you did not send the camera to the stupid repair technicians that will steal $200 from your pocket.

I hope this works for your Z3,

Go to Setup Menu, Page 1, item 4 - it says `Lens Acc. (accessories),

You have two choices, "no" and "Wide Converter"

It should be set as "no" otherwise the camera optical zoom will not function.

If this works, please donate a small part of the $200 to your local charitable institution

juandelacruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2006, 6:52 AM   #3

Hi,

Thanks for the tip but it's not that....

With wideangle selected you dont get the zoom bar at the top of the view finder (you get a W symbol instead).

The thought of giving such a rubbish company another $200 is not an option. I'd rather put that money towards a different camera from a reliable manufacturer.

Thanks again,

M
Old Feb 14, 2006, 7:01 AM   #4

...still laughing as I write this. So pissed off that my Z3 was broken and I was going to have to splash out more cash on another camera I threw it down the stairs.

... and now it works!!!

lol
Old Feb 21, 2006, 8:27 PM   #5

I am also seeing the same problem. Just as the thread starter indicated, there seems to be no mechanical problem with the camera as the lens automatically retracts when turned off and then mysteriously zooms in (and stays that way) until its turned off again. I've had the camera for about 10 months. I've updated the firmware to no avail. I've done a bit of researching the web for anyone that has seen this same problem and it seems that others are observing this exact same scenario.

Unfortunately, when they send it in to be fixed, many times after its sent back the problem returns. I'm going to stop off at a camera repair store in the area and see if they've got any ideas. I love this camera... god I hope this isn't a showstopper.

BTW, any one who's seen this in other models and figured out what the problem was, I'll bet that this is similar.

Thanks,

smithmal
smithmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 11:27 PM   #6
Administrator

medic wrote:
Quote:
...still laughing as I write this. So angry off that my Z3 was broken and I was going to have to splash out more cash on another camera I threw it down the stairs.

... and now it works!!!

lol
I think I'll bookmark this thread for future use when someone has this problem, making sure to use a disclaimer (do at your own risk) if they try your fix of throwing the camera down the stairs. :-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 3:25 AM   #7

Good point!

I'm not responsible for any Z3s that fail after this WOTS test (Whack on the side), however around 20 stairs should do it ;-)

My Z3 has worked faultlessly since I 'repaired' it.

Good luck :|
Old Feb 24, 2006, 10:32 AM   #8

Same thing happened to my Z3 !

I came out today, temperature is about 2 °C. Camera hangs, which it likes to do on a cold environment.

Then the zoom will not work, when I turn off, the lens will not retract. I gave it a slight push and makes a weird sound like the gears are not aligned. I tried to turn on and off again, same thing with the retraction but the zoom finally works.

After 1 hour of figuring out what to do next ( I almost gave up). I tried to do a Ctrl-Alt-Del [reset ] by removing the battery. After I turned it on again everything worksfine as if nothing happened.

Now I am starting to believe that my Z3 hates cold weather. Many weird things happen when i use my camera outside when it is cold.

Old Feb 24, 2006, 9:05 PM   #9

Hmm... That's interesting. B/c, one, it stopped working when we were in Tahoe skiing. The temp was like 45F, so it wasn't that cold. But, two, I do remember before it had the zoom problems that I put the lens cap on it when it was still on (i.e. slightly extended) and I also heard a gear sound. I didn't think much of it, but when it was turned back on an hour later, we got the zoom problem. Perhaps the camera has lost it's home position? I fooled around with it again tonight and held on to the lens while turning it on (to kind of manual keep it zoomed out). Well the camera didn't like that as it immediately shut down. I couldn't get that gear noise to appear again. Oh well. I'm taking it to a repair shop tomorrow morning in Washington DC so I should get an answer back relatively quickly as I don't have to wait for shipping. I'll definitely do a little Q&A with the repair guys after it gets fixed to find out why it was having this problem. Hopefully, what I'm seeing everyone else is seeing and we can finally get down to the bare brass about where this problem comes from and whether there's anything one can do to fix it if it shows up again...

I'll give you guys the 411 as soon as I can.
smithmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2006, 1:18 AM   #10

Hi,

Sometimes you need to pull and push the lens as soon as you turn it off for the lens to retract. Everytime I do that I can hear the gears as if the teeth are misaligned.

Anyway, like I said I extend and retract maybe 20 times still the smae problem. And when I did the reset by removing the battery it worked immediately as if nothing has happened.

The problem with cold weather happend to me at least 7 times on different occassion and location. The main poblem is the camera will not respond anymore, until I remove the battery. It is very annoying since I have to enter the date and time everytime I do it. Most frustrating is sometimes I will miss an important shot.