Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Feb 10, 2006, 8:10 PM   #1

Hi -

I have three Dimage cameras in the family.
I have been trying to find out what the largest SD card is each one can handle, but can't find the info anywhere.
Wrote to Minolta twice last year - no response either time.
Would anyone know?
I want to use a 1 gig and 2 gig card if possible.

Thanks

PS: Looks as if the title was chopped off and I can't edit it - the third camera is an X50.
Eurolgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2006, 8:11 AM   #2

I have an X50 and I use a 1GB card. I think the X50 uses FAT32, so you can use cards larger than 2 GB. FAT16 limits you to 2 GB max.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 9:56 AM   #3

Thanks - I didn't realize these cameras are using the old PC file system. Do you have any idea where I can fnd out which file system is used in the three cameras I have?
Although from your comments it sounds as if they should all take at least a 2 Gig memory, X50 possibly more card.

I just hate buying a large card and then find out it doesn't work - really odd that this basic information is not on the Minolta website (at least I couldn't find it) or in the manual.which I read cover-to-cover twice.

PS: Maybe this is the wrong forum for my question - I'll repost in the memory card section.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 8:16 AM   #4

Trying to find out what format a camera uses? Hmmmm...

Okay, I got it. Format a card in your camera, then attach that card to your computer (card reader). Now look at the properties of the card in Windows Explorer. It will report on the format the card is using. It may say FAT for FAT16, but will say FAT32 otherwise.

Do that for each camera and see what it says. Should work.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2006, 12:21 PM   #5

I'm not sure this is as easy as you make it sound.

If the compatibility was simply based on FAT 16 vs FAT 32, they all would support at least 2 Gig.
I just found a San disk compatibility database, and it shows that the X20 and Xg may support 512M and the X50 may support 1 Gig.
I know at least that 1 Gig is OK for the x50 since you are using it - I wanted to buy a 2Gig card, but now it seems that may not work with any of the cameras I have.