Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Feb 23, 2006, 10:48 AM   #1

I will be going to a Las Vegas show that surprisingly allows cameras. I just got the camera so haven't had much time playing with the different settings and can't really practice in a concert situation anyway. I was wondering if somebody had a suggestion as to the best settings for the camera so I can end up with some good photos. FYI, we're actually seeing the show twice. First show we'll be in the front row and the second we'll be in the balcony.

Thanks,
Jeff
dcwebman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2006, 12:21 PM   #2
Administrator

It will be tough because light is much lower than it appears to human eye. So, getting properly exposed images without too much motion blur or noise from higher ISO speeds will be a challenge.

I'd probaby go Av Mode (Aperture Priority) setting it to the largest available aperture (smallest f/stop number), bumping up the ISO speed to ISO 400, with WB set to Incandescent (Tungsten). Although, even Auto or P modes are probably going to select the largest available aperture anyway in low light.

Don't use any more optical zoom than needed to help more light get through the lens to the sensor.

Then, I'd run the images through Noiseware or Neat Image to try and reduce the appearance of noise later. They both offer free versions of their products (Community Edition of Noiseware or the Demo/Trial version of Neat Image).

Depending on lighting, you might be able to get away with ISO 200 instead. But, chances are, you'll need ISO 400 to help with blur from subject movement.

Take lots of photos to increase your number of keepers without blur, and I'd keep the flash turned off (otherwise, the camera may try to use shutter speeds that are too fast for the lighting, resulting in underexposure, and the flash isn't going to help anything at greater distances anyway).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 12:42 PM   #3

Jim, thanks for the excellent advice! For the first show since the singer at times will be like 5-10 feet in front of us, I'll probably end up usinga flash for a couple shots just to make sure they come out. Thanks for the tip on the 2 tools to try after.

Jeff
dcwebman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 12:43 PM   #4
Administrator

Yes, if you're close enough to use a flash, I would. Noise can be quite bad at higher ISO speeds. So, if you can get by using lower ISO speeds with a flash, that would be advisable.

Of course, using a flash can hurt the ambience of the stage lighting. But, it's often preferrable compared to motion blur or noise.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote