Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Mar 30, 2003, 12:48 PM   #1

Default Justify price of 7Hi over S602

As much as I like the 7Hi, I cannot see why I should spend $400 more than the cost of the S602 to get this camera. From the reviews and discussions, they both seem to take great pictures. What am missing? Talk me out of buying the S602 and convince me I am getting roughly $400 more camera!!
THANKS!!!!!
PTguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2003, 3:48 PM   #2

- faster overall camera
- wider range zoom. faster and more reliable. works just like an slr by hand. no buttons no motor
- larger frame buffer. 64MB vs 32MB. allowing 5 RAW images(big) to be shot at up to 3 FPS depending on conditions. lower the res and you'll get more.
- Hi and UHS modes
- real time histogram metering
- supports external shoe mount dedicated strobes when you need some real light.
- support for studio strobes when you really really gotta have light
- customizable view screens grid, crosshairs, more
- filters go direct on to lens no additional adapter tube reqd
- the fuji is 6MP by interpolation not a true 6MP (subject of much debate)
- more items upon request
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2003, 9:37 PM   #3
NHL

How about the 7i? It's $400 less than the 7Hi with almost all the features except for the buffer and sync terminal (which the Fuji doesn't have either) :lol: :lol: :lol:

The 7i does have the adjustable power no pre-flash built-in which one can use instead of the sync cord. 8) 8) 8)
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...500&highlight=
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2003, 10:23 PM   #4

and the adobe color space
Old Mar 31, 2003, 8:34 AM   #5
NHL

Quote:
and the adobe color space
That's true :lol: :lol: :lol: , but most people who shop in this price range (or the $ saving) wouldn't shell out for the additional cost of a camera for Photoshop anyway...

So Sjms... is it going to be a 14s, D100 or 10D? I'm itching for the 10D, but it looks like some of our friends has gone the D100 route... although I don't mind an S2 either. 8)
Old Mar 31, 2003, 8:42 AM   #6

actually its looking to be a 1Ds in november. a painfull and expensive transition. unless a miracle occurs . it adds an additional 4K investment.

what a loss. i felt like kodak cut me off at the knees.

the D100 has never been in the running
the 10D also

rented a 1Ds over the weekend it works real well. not quite as sharp as i'd dreamed of. the ability to shoot iso 400 with relative low noise is a big plus. sold off my supplemental nikon glass already. just keeping the basic good stuff for my F5. hoping nikon wakes up soon
Old Apr 6, 2003, 10:26 PM   #7

Default Too many choices; not enough money

I was thinking of simply going from the Dimage 7 to the 7HI. Then I started thinking seriously of a "real" SLR, and figured I could make a stretch to an E10 with a EF 28-200 lens. A pretty good stretch, but probably worth doing. Sure, I'd lose the functionality of the 5600 HSD flash, and wouldn't have cute little 60 second movies with sound, but I'd be getting into some real capability.

Then I looked at the D100, and the S2. That may be my downfall. It looks to me that both of the latter cameras have it all over the E10. Much sharper and better defined images. If I had to pick one, it would be the S2. But, now I've boosted my cost about 2.2X. Yarrggghhh!

Is it worth it? After all, if you don't have accuracy in the rendition, you don't have anything.

How much better is the S2 over the D100? Over the E10? Over the Dimage 7HI?

And I already sold the Dimage 7. Gotta do something...

Thanks,

Pish
Pishnaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2003, 8:26 AM   #8
NHL

I think upgrading to a 7i is OK, but if you plan on the D7Hi, I might as well make the jump. It's only a few hundreds more for the body (the lenses are re-useable, just like flash cards, and do not count) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quote:
Then I started thinking seriously of a "real" SLR, and figured I could make a stretch to an E10 with a EF 28-200 lens.
... You meant a Canon 10D with an EF 28-200, and not an Oly E-10 right?

Roughly the same price with two lenses as an S2 with 1 lens (with the D100 splitting the difference):
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh6.sph/...ID=F4A33609700
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh6.sph/...ID=F4A33609700

Quote:
Sure, I'd lose the functionality of the 5600 HSD flash
Not so with the Canon (I think). They have a similar wireless system (at least it worked with their film cameras)! The Nikon's have a more limited SU-4 wireless adapter...
Old Apr 7, 2003, 7:56 PM   #9

Default S2 vs D7

As the owner of both a D7 and an S2 perhaps I can help.

I started with the D7 (original). But after using it for a while I discovered it's shortcomings. Firstly, very poor autofocus, which greatly impacted the ability to take pictures NOW. Also, I love wide angle (one of the reasons I bought the D7 in the first place), but still found the 28mm too limiting. With no add-on lens available to go wider, I just wanted something better. I also found the exposure system on the D7 to be less than optimal.

What I really wanted, I finally discovered, was a camera as responsive as my Nikon N90s, but in the digital realm.

I looked at both the D100 and the S2. I eventually decided on the S2 for a number of reasons:

- uses standard AA's , not counting the CR123's, which can be replaced with the MB16 battery pack (4xAA).
- has PC sync socket
- can use any TTL flash, not just the new and expensive 'digital' ones
- the D100 was getting a lot of bad reviews regarding exposure problems
- the Fuji superCCD was getting very good reviews, excellent color, sharpness, etc.

I got my S2 last January and I haven't looked back since. I have been very happy with it. The fast and very responsive autofocus, excellent metering system and, of course, interchangeable lenses have made using the camera a joy.

Yes, it is significantly bigger and heavier than the D7, but I actually like that. By comparision, the D7 seems like a toy.

I still have my D7 and I still continue to use it, but only for unimportant photography (such as a trip to the beach).

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2003, 2:22 PM   #10

The SJM post mentions that the D7hi is faster overall camera. Do you mean that the camera starts up and is ready to shoot a scene faster or you mean that it has a faster shutter speed? The fuji s602z in manual mode has a max shutter speed of up to 1/10,000 of a second.

In addition the Sjm posts saids that the d7hi has a larger frame buffer. 64MB vs 32MB. allowing 5 RAW images(big) to be shot at up to 3 FPS depending on conditions. But shouldn't the s602 have a bigger buffer? when using burst mode on the s602z you can capture 5fps regardless of resolution. You can get 5 tiff size files (17megs each) in a sec.
camerachallenge is offline   Reply With Quote