Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Mar 10, 2006, 4:16 PM   #1

Oh god I think I've done it.

I was apparently successful in performing the upgrade. I got the "Ver 1.14 update successful" message on my camera. It told me to turn it off. I did so.

Now when I turn it on, nothing appears on the screen, and the red card-reading light stays on forever.

My A2 just sits there heating up with a black screen. It doesn;t respond to any buttons. I have to pull the battery out to turn it off.

Oh God please don't say this has happened to me. Not now!

[edit]
I've even tried to put a different card in (In case those install files were messing things up. Nothing. I've now tried booting with no card in. Nothing. I worked for months to pay for this thing!

I think I'm going to jump off of a bridge.
Drewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2006, 10:29 PM   #2

Very sorry to hear this Drewsky. It does seem as though your camera may need to be sent in for firmware repair.

I get the impression, as you said you were concerned that the files on the card might be causing a problem, that once the firmware update was confirmed, you didn't actually remove the card and delete the files from it before putting it back in the camera as per the instructions ?

If this is the case it is very likely it has caused the problem. The camera would have read the card on power up and the firmware become corrupted as it may have tried to initiate the upgrade again.

Sorry for not being able to make you feel better.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 11:27 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply.

But I cannot see where in the instructions I am supposed to delete the files before I put the card back in.
http://kmpi.konicaminolta.us/eprise/...allation_Guide

Those are the instructions I followed.

But I don't own a card reader, so I don't see how I could have done it anyway.
Old Mar 11, 2006, 4:02 AM   #4

Well ok, strictly speaking it doesn't say exactly that. But at the bottom of the panel with the 6 steps to upgrade it does say this :

*After updating the camera, delete both km003.app and km003.brd files from the CompactFlash card.

I just presumed this to mean it was necessary to do otherwise it wouldn't be stated and can only assumethat this is the problem,as you had received the 'Updating completed. ver 01.14u Turn camera off' message.

I fear you may have switched the camera back on in Playback mode and inadvertently set the camera off on the upgrade procedure a second time.

Again, I really am sorry for you and unless someone comes in with something else I don't know about, I'm afraid you have to send your camera in.

Old Mar 11, 2006, 4:11 AM   #5

That's correct. But my camera is my only means of accessing my flashcards. I had no choice but to boot my camera with those files on the card.

Honestly, I am very disappointed with Minolta for letting this process be so touchy and dangerous. I followed the steps given as they were described, so why is my camera broken?

Will it be fixed before my trip to Malaysia in April? Not bloody likely!

I am so very screwed. And quite depressed.
Old Mar 11, 2006, 4:18 AM   #6

Just bumping so you are aware I edited my post while you sent your next post in, explaining what I think you may have done.
Old Mar 11, 2006, 9:49 AM   #7
E.T

Stevekin wrote:
Quote:
I fear you may have switched the camera back on in Playback mode and inadvertently set the camera off on the upgrade procedure a second time.
That's also my guess for most of these update problems what have been heard mostly in DPreview forum.

Update succesfull message tells only fact that new firmware has been written to flash/EEPROM memory but camera is still running with old firmware.
Now if card is still in while turning power back in playback mode camera's hardware could well try to start update procedure again while firmware hasn't yet been fully installed/initialized to operating condition.
This could be even more the case with 1.14 because it quite clearly changes something in way how camera reads/writes card.

I've updated both Minolta 7i and now KM A2 (or have I updated it twice?) and always made "clean" power on/off to make sure firmware is fully booted up/initialized.
And then used separate card reader to remove firmware files from card before putting it pack to camera. (separate card readers are much better for emptying cards, reading speed is way higher)

I suggest contacting KM as first thing on monday.
http://kmpi.konicaminolta.us/eprise/...upport_Service

Drewsky wrote:
Quote:
Honestly, I am very disappointed with Minolta for letting this process be so touchy and dangerous.
That's always the case in these, it's like updating BIOS of your PC... if there's power failure at time of it or source file isn't correct, well, that much about that motherboard/BIOS chip unless you have way to write correct BIOS directly to BIOS chip because without working BIOS motherboard/computer won't boot up.
(but in case you notice source file was wrong/corrupt/there was problem in flashing you can do it again as long as computer runs with old working BIOS and you don't shut it off)
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 4:43 PM   #8

Well I've sent it off to New Jersey for repair. It will take a week to arrive plus 3-4 weeks for repeair (+ 1 week to ship back?). It looks like if I get my camera back at all, it will be on the day I leave for Malaysia. *Deep breath*
Half the reason I am going is to do photography. I need that camera!
Old Mar 12, 2006, 3:26 AM   #9
E.T

Fixing should be quite easy considering in this case they wouldn't have to replace physically broken parts (getting those can take some time) but I would prefer calling them to make sure they would fix it faster, that transferring of service to Sony could cause some delays around turn of the month.

Also make sure they update it to 1.14, there was at least one case in UK in which camera came back with 1.13 firmware.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 4:02 PM   #10

I'm way ahead of you. I sent a note along requesting those things.