Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Mar 20, 2006, 3:47 AM   #1

HI,

RECENTLY, I GOT ANOTHER KM'S 3600HS(D) FROM A FRIEND OF MINE. I HAVE BEEN WONDERING IF IT IS POSSIBLE TO

(A) USE KM'S TRIPLE CONNECTOR TO LINK THE TWO UNITS UP FOR TTL MULTIPLE-FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY USINGTRIPLE CONNECTOR TC1100. ACCORDING TO SOME ON-LINE INFORMATION, WHICH IS LIMITED DESCRIPTION ABOUT THE USE OF THIS UNIT, CONNECTION USING TC1100 IS POSSIBLE FOR MULTIPLE-FLASH TTL PHOTOGRAPHY.

(B) USE KM'S DISCONTINUED REMOTE FLASH CONTROLLER TO TRIGGER THE TWO 3600HS(D) UNITS FOR WIRELESS TTL PHOTOGRAPHY.

I WOULD BE GRATEFUL IF YOU WOULD ALSO ENLIGHTEN ME OF OTHER POSSIBILITIES FOR USING THE TWO FLASH UNITS FOR MULTIPLE-FLASH TTL PHOTOGRAPHY.

REGARDS,

PETE LESTER
wk7leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2006, 12:11 PM   #2

HI,

FURTHER TO WHAT I HAVE WRITTEN, I WOULD LIKE TO ADD ONE MORE POINT, WHICH I BELIEVE IS NOT UNCOMMON TO MOST OF US. IT IS ABOUT THE POWERFUL WIRELESS REMOTE TTL MULTIPLE-FLASH PHOTOGRAPHIC FUNCTION OFFERED BY NIKON'S CREATIVE LIGHTING SYSTEM.

OBVIOUSLY, NIKON'S SYSTEM WORKS ON ALIGHT EMISSION AND CALCULATION SYSTEM THAT IS DIFFERENT FROM KM'S. WHAT NIKON DOES IN ITS SYSTEM MIGHT NOT BE PERFORMED ON KM'S. HOWEVER, SINCE KM'S ADI AND PRE-FLASH SYSTEMS ARE ALSO AS WELL. I THEREFORE BELIEVE THAT KM FANS CAN ALSO USE THEIR 3600HS(D)s for similarmultiple-flash TTL wireless or cable-connected off the camera photography.

BEFORE PUTTING THIS QUESTION HERE, I DID SEARCH THE INTERNET FOR HOW KM'S TRIPLE CONNECTOR FOR FLASHES CAN BE USED FOR MULTIPLE-FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY. UNFORTUNATELY, THERE IS NOT MUCH HELP I CAN GET FROM THE SEARCH.

DEEPLY OBLIGED IF YOU COULD SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ME.

REGARDS,

PETER LESTER
Old Mar 21, 2006, 12:13 AM   #3

Hi Peter,

Welcome to the forum..

I'm no expert on this, but I have a 5600 and am looking to get a 3600 to go with it. I did find this link, http://www.samys.com/articles/gary_friedman/flash.htmlwhich is interesting reading. I love the results I have gotten with the 5600 running wireless using an umbrella to soften. Like I said I'm no expert, and have a lot to learn. But I'm very pleased with my results so far.

Meiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 3:01 AM   #4

Many thanks. I did come across the article you mentioned, which, as far as I understand it, is pretty rare on the Internet. I have read it before and I will do it again to see if there is new light from it.

Actually I have been using Nikon's flash system for close-up photography. It is a fantastic system that opens amateurs like me to different photographic opportunities both in wireless and cabled situations. I happen to use KM's A2 and its flash system when on vacation or on the way home after work; merely because it is less bulky and pretty versatile in function.

I would love to solve the multiple-flash problem with my two 3600HS(D) flashes, for I do believe they can work together to enhance photographic effect.

The attached is a floral shot I took using two Nikon flashes.
Attached Images

Old Mar 21, 2006, 8:19 AM   #5

Great shot!! I can see that I will be taking my flash outside to do some playing also..

I also use the A2, I guess I dont fully understand what you are asking. The A2 can wirelessly trigger multiple flash units without any adapter. Although if you are looking to use 2:1 ratio, one flash would have to be on camera or the discontinued adapter would have to be used.

If all your trying to do is trigger both flashes remotely, just set the camera and flash units to wireless, and make sure your pop up flash is up, and from what I understand both flashes will be triggered by the A2.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 8:49 AM   #6

A2 can trigger more than one 3600HS(D) when the built-in flash is popped up. However, the problem is both flashes emit in such a way that neither ADI meteringor pre-flashmetering isin place checking the level of emission. I did try different settings for the remote wireless flashing, but every time, the result is improper exposure.

I thinkI have to rely on the triple connector for flashesas my last attempt to ensure proper exposure for remote TTL multiple-flashing. At present, KM is transacting its camera section to Sony. The staff in Hong Kong said they did not have the unit for trying out the connection. They said they would get back to me when they had the result.

For the discontinued triggering unit, I don't think TTL is ensured in multiple flashing, judging by triggering action done by the pop-up built-in flash on A2.

The problem with 3500HS(D) is that there is no manual power ratio setting in it, making manual control to the flash impossible, not to mention the 2:1 light ratio between the main and ancillary flashes.

Anyway, many thanks for your suggestions.

Peter Lester
Old Mar 21, 2006, 1:21 PM   #7

No problem Peter, as I said I am still very much a noob at lighting.

I was hoping someone with more knowledge would jump in here. I am about to order a 3600 to compliment my 5600, but if what your saying that I will loose the TTL abuility of both flashes, then maybe I should just stick to my single remote flash. At least It seems to work fine with just the 5600 and the slave unit I am curently using.
Old Mar 22, 2006, 11:20 AM   #8

Thefollowing website for referencefor Triple Connector TC1100.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...39068?n=172282

Worthy of noting is the following:

Product Description[/b]

Product Description
A multiple flash mounting accessory to connect up to three Maxxum Flashes* to the camera. The Maxxum Flash 3600HS(D)/3500xi/2000xi/3200i/2000i are connected to the TC-1000 with a OS-1100 off-camera shoe and an extension cable. The Maxxum Flash 5600HS(D)/5400HS/5400xi/5200i are connected with an extension cable.*Except for D-314i/316i.

A member of KM staff said that the TTL function is not possible with multiple-flash connection using cable and the triple connector. I was certainly bewildered as it contradicts with what is mentioned above.

Eitherthe staff's replyor the above description is incorrect.

If the above product description is correct, I will certainly try using the connector and cable formultiple flashing. In the meantime, your buying a 3600 is worth it.

Peter Lester
Old Mar 22, 2006, 11:44 AM   #9

The following Flash Accessory Chart by KM for reference.

http://konicaminolta.com/products/co...lashes.html#a2

The description for TC110 is a little different from the one in Amazon cited in my earlier email, which is as follows:

Triple Connector TC-1100

A multiple flash mounting accessory to connect up to three Program Flashes* to the camera. The Program Flash 3600HS(D)/2500(D)/3500xi/2000xi/3200i/2000i are connected to the TC-1000 with a OS-1100 off-camera shoe and an extension cable. The 5600HS(D)/5400HS/5400xi/5200i are connected with an extension cable.

The difference is that the function of TTL is not mentioned in the description.

I think Minolta is not so insane as to have made a product which does not offer TTL for multiple flashing.

Regards,
Peter Lester
Old May 18, 2006, 5:27 PM   #10

I am using a Dynax (Maxxum) 5, which fires any wireless capable KM flash using the pop up flash as the controller. The 5400HS and 5600HS can also be used as a replacement for the remote wireless controller, which has been discontinued.The TC triple connector is only really needed when

a) A wireless slave is out of view of the camera (behind subject etc)

b) You want speeds above 1/60th or HSS

Basically, if your camera has wireless capability, it can fire any KM wireless capable flash. If not, use either a wireless controller (eBay?) or a 5400HS/5600HS flash (check if the 5400HS is compatible with your camera, its not on the 5D and 7D)

Hope this helps
dazthetaz is offline   Reply With Quote