Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Apr 6, 2003, 3:51 PM   #1
SSD

Default Minolta S414 performance in low light

Can anybody tell me how the low light performance is on the S414? I want a smaller digicam that performs well in low light and has low to no noise levels. Does the s414 have a low light assist ? Am I living in a fantasy world?
Thanks for any info!
I have had a terrible time trying to figure out wich camera to get. These forums have helped a lot and kept me from making a big mistake last week on a digicam purchase.
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2003, 4:36 PM   #2

i have the S414 and love it.........it has no low light AF assist, but it'll focus in low light.
by low light i mean, light enough that you don't need a flashlight.
not to start anything, but the Minolta 7i i had produced more noise at any ISO setting from 100-400 than the 414.
i have Canon D60 that i use for real serious stuff, but did some comparison shots of 3 different scenes with the 414 and the D60 (6MP), and used 8x10 prints to show people.........the 414 held it's own.
if this is your first digicam, you should be happy for a long time.
Hawkeye12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2003, 4:51 PM   #3

so do my 7hi shots at 11x14. the 414 has additional noise reduction algorithms in it. but none of the additional capabilities of the 7 series.

i use neat image pro to reduce noise when necessary. i have said this before some noise reduction removes some detail. you controlling it is better then the camera most of the time. i have used the D1x and still play with NR. i'm leaning int a 1Ds for shooting in low light. i'll clean it up with neat image too.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2003, 5:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjms
so do my 7hi shots at 11x14. the 414 has additional noise reduction algorithms in it. but none of the additional capabilities of the 7 series.

i use neat image pro to reduce noise when necessary. i have said this before some noise reduction removes some detail. you controlling it is better then the camera most of the time. i have used the D1x and still play with NR. i'm leaning int a 1Ds for shooting in low light. i'll clean it up with neat image too.
exactly the reason i sold the D7i.......not near enough features or picture quality when compared to my D60. i found the use of NI to reduce the noise in 7i pics also softened them.

but back to the question originally posted, the 414 is a very good camera and will produce up to 8x10 prints with such out of camera quality, that a first time digital user won't even need all the extra doodads that the 7i has and confuses people with...........not to mention, the 414 produces a more noise free image.
let's not turn this into a "what's better war".............as the user wants to know about the lowlight capabilities of the 414.
Old Apr 6, 2003, 5:13 PM   #5
SSD

Thanks!
I take a lot of indoor pics, and when we travel, Low light restaurant pics and I can't afford to get a camera that can't handle my needs. I had almost bought the Canon A70 because of the low light focus assist, but I have pretty much decided against it because I keep reading multiple reports of the images being to soft.
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2003, 5:18 PM   #6

ok, with that type of lighting, you'll have no problems with the 414.
BTW, here's an idea of the picture quality to expect from the 414........