Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Mar 29, 2006, 3:38 AM   #1

Hi everyone,

Ok, it's not a new camera, but I have a Konica KD-400z.

I recently upgraded its firmware from the Konica site to 1.15a. I emailed Konica about whether they had any details about the actual upgrade, because there was no documentation for it. Anyway, they were very good and posted some to me.

Except the document is for 3.38a of the firmware! I can't find anywhere on the internet that has this level available. The KD-500z had a 3.38a version of its firmware but this official documentation I have from Konica most definately states it's for the KD-400z.

Any ideas from anyone?

David.
dartiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2006, 4:50 AM   #2
E.T

Procedure itself is propably compltely same... cameras are from same serie and biggest differences are propably only number of megapixels and firmware.
Regardless did they mess model numbers.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 5:17 AM   #3

Are you suggesting that the KD500z firmware would work on my KD400z?

I've heard back from Konica and they say that the latest version of the KD400z firmware IS the one I've got installed (1.15) yet their own documentation doesn't match this - it's labelled KD400z but appears to be the enhancements that are in the 3.38a KD500z firmware update.

David.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 5:42 AM   #4

I've now found the 3.38 version for the KD-410Z. Is this likely to be compatible with my KD-400z?

David.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 2:40 PM   #5
E.T

dartiss wrote:
Quote:
Are you suggesting that the KD500z firmware would work on my KD400z?
No but update procedure is propably exactly same.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 3:15 PM   #6
Administrator

The newest firmware version for your KD-400z is 1.55a (you typed 1.15a above). I would not risk trying to install firmware intended for a different camera.

If 1.15a was not a typo, here is a direct download link to the 1.55a firmware from Konica-Minolta Japan (it will work on non-Japan models, and still allows you to pick a language in the camera's setup).

http://ca.konicaminolta.jp/support/download/rkd400/v155a/KD-400Z.BIN

Konica never released this firmware update in the U.S. (but, you can find it on some of the overseas web sites). So, it's not officially supported here.

It should improve startup time, white balance, and more with the KD-400z over the factory installed firmware.

Basically, you copy the .bin file to the root directory of a Secure Digital Card. Then, when you powerup the camera with the card in it (open the cover), just follow the instructions on screen (press the delete key/trashcanto start the update and wait until it tells you it's finished).

I usually take some precautions (set everything back to factory defaults, make sure you've got a fully charged battery, format the card with the camera menus first before copying the .bin file to it, be very careful not to accidently close the cover while the update is in progress). I'd also remove any Memory Stick from the camera as an extra precaution (and the update only works from Secure Digital).

Always do this kind of update at your own risk (if anything goes wrong, your camera will probably be a paperweight). But, I've known multiple users that have updated their KD-400z with this firmware with no problems (and I've updated my KD-510z the same way multiple times withnew firmware for it).

If you look at the instructions for the G500 (after you prepare everything else first, like formatting the SD Card via the camera menus),start at where it says this (substituting KD-400Z.BIN anywhere you see G500.BIN):

Quote:
Copy the G500.BIN file onto the root directory (top level of the folder) of the prepared SD Memory card.

G500 Firmware Installation Guide
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 5:31 PM   #7

Wow thanks. No, I did mean 1.15a (the latest on the Konica UK site).

Will download 1.55a and give that a try.

Again, thanks.

David.
Old May 9, 2006, 7:21 AM   #8

I am having a Konica Minolta KD400z about an year old and have taken some 500 pictures in it. My problem is that currently some horizontal lines are occouring in the LCD display and also in the capturing images. Also colours are not appering correctly. some time only green or red colours are displayed. and some times the top part of the screen is tinted in red colour and the bottom part in green color. This appears in the photos also. I have tried resetting all settings, still no change. Do you have any ideas to solve this ? Doers a firmware upgrade solve this issue? I have never updated the firmware of my camera. But have updated firmware of my different mobile phones.

Any one plz advice. Thanking you in advance.

Regards
Gopal

balagopalks is offline   Reply With Quote