Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Apr 3, 2006, 3:30 PM   #11
Administrator

rodo wrote:
Quote:
Thanks again, great photo but i cant carry a tripod around to get these type of slow shutter stops
That one was hand held. ;-)

My point was that ISO 200 can be useful (shutter speeds would have been down to around 1/8 second at ISO 100, and I doubt my luck would have been as good, although I have taken some sharp photos at 1/8 second, too).

Of course, the "rule of thumb" is 1/focal length, so faster shutter speeds are desired to help with camera shake (and that still wouldn't help with blur from subject movement for rapidly moving subjects).

I've got plenty of ISO 200 photos in better light, too (to get faster shutter speeds to help with motion blur).

Quote:
Picassa do a good lightening photo fix if i underexposed as you mention ive seen posted olympus 8800 owner posted that info , might be usedwith the 310 ,but even simple elements 3 i have scares me and im allways busy to do pp mind you my KD 500 took some great shots and i never missed iso changes , if the 310 would be as good as the Kd 500 id be happy.
I haven't used the KD-310z. So, let us know how you like it if you go that route.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 3:47 AM   #12

AMAZING Hand held no ios im impressed hands of granit me thinks ,, yes im just trying to be sure with respect jim that the sensor is the large ie same as the 510 / 500 sensor as you mentioned it is , i cant find a spec sheet from konica to list the sensor size, sure your right though of course,if this was the case one more question sir please , Could i expect the photos of a KD 310to have the same great look as the KD 500 or your 510 set at the 100 iso setting as we understand now pixels are not the be all end all ever tried your 510 at a lower quality setting ie 3mp or near? that might tell something about the 3 mp KD 310 maybe . ie my old Panasonic FZ 2 is amazing for a 2 mp camera , i only ever print at home or in the shop developers at 6 x 4 ,thanks for your time , you seem to work day and night here, l would love to see you try / test some of the cameras as well as Steve or / and give some of your opinions btw . A second opinion or recomenndation andWHY would be interesting for so many of us lookers !good idea!! just my opinion, to increase the people visiting this great site ,?
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 9:45 AM   #13
Administrator

The sensor in the KD-310z is the same size as the KD-400z, KD-410z, KD-500z and KD-510z. It's just a different resolution sensor (3MP).

That's why the specs for the focal length are the same with it's 8-24mm lens (39-117mm equivalent). If the sensor was smaller, you'd have a longer 35mm equivalent focal length with the same lens (narrower angle of view).

As for shutter speed, that's not really very slow for many people, as it was taken at the wide angle zoom position. I had more problems with motion blur trying to take photos at that dance recital compared to blur from camera shake. It's hard to catch the performers perfectly still.

You don't have any mirror slap adding vibration with a non-DSLR model. So, it's usually easier to hand hold one at slower shutter speeds compared to the 1/focal length rule of thumb if you're careful.

As for image quality, you'll have to judge for yourself. I have not used this camera. Sensor size is not the only issue. Image processing algorithms, supporting chipset, etc. all come into the equation. Again, here are some user albums with photos taken with it:

http://www.pbase.com/cameras/konica/kd310z

Old Apr 5, 2006, 4:02 AM   #14

Thank you for more info , yes i see there are other things to consider , i will post my findings Kd 310 is on its way i clicked on it , take a chance £70 with K/m warranty for 12 months cant be such a bad deal.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 4:21 PM   #15
Administrator

Latest firmware (1.55A) for the KD-310z. Direct Link from KM Japan:

http://ca.konicaminolta.jp/support/d...5a/KD-310Z.BIN

Konica never released some firmware versions in the U.S. (but, you can find it on some of the overseas web sites).

Basically, you copy the .bin file to the root directory of a Secure Digital Card. Then, when you powerup the camera with the card in it (open the cover), just follow the instructions on screen (press the delete key/trashcanto start the update and wait until it tells you it's finished).

I usually take some precautions (set everything back to factory defaults, make sure you've got a fully charged battery, format the card with the camera menus first before copying the .bin file to it, be very careful not to accidently close the cover while the update is in progress). I'd also remove any Memory Stick from the camera as an extra precaution (and the update only works from Secure Digital).

Always do this kind of update at your own risk (if anything goes wrong, your camera will probably be a paperweight).

Here are the instructions.

Make sure your battery is fully charged before you start the upgrade.

1. Download the KD-310Z.BIN file

2. Copy the file to a Secure Digital card that has been formatted via the camera menus (copy it to the root directory). Do not use a Memory Stick.

3. Remove the camera or card reader from the USB connection, after making sure the copy is completely finished (wait a minute first, to make sure it's not still writing the file). It's a good idea to use the "safely remove hardware" icon in your system tray, too.

4. Power up your camera (open the lens cover).

5. When prompted "PUSH DEL KEY TO UPDATE" - press the DEL-key (trashcan).

6. After a while you are asked to turn the camera off (close the lens cover).

The new firmware is now installed and the KD-310z.bin file is automatically deleted from the Secure Digital card.

Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:51 AM   #16

Thanks can you tell me what changes / improvements this brings Jim , Still waiting for the camera KD 310.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 9:45 AM   #17
Administrator

Sorry, but I don't read Japanese. ;-)

The english language firmware notes I've seen for earlier updates imply improvements in things like startup time and white balance accuracy. But, manufacturers typically make more improvements than they indicate in the notes, too (bug fixes, etc.).

If you want to try and translate the info, here is the page:

http://ca.konicaminolta.jp/support/d...55a/index.html

Old Apr 8, 2006, 1:41 PM   #18

Well the kd 310 turned out to be refurbished i ordered so the shop agreed to send a K/M G 5oo in its place at extra cost but inc postage as the shops junior guy had mentioned the Kd 310 was new ,twas not so sadly very bad, so try again the 500 line , it comes with a 12 month warranty and is brand new the shop boss says , how they are new i dony know ?but hepromised me they where straight from K/m and that he would guarantee this100 %,So as the camera comes with a 12 month K/M warranty im happy i think.I just hope i dont get the lens cover scratching the case front back or both sides problem i had with a Konica 510 and K/M 600 but i suppose the warranty would cover that problem . The 510i had before they repaired somehow but that worried me and i sold it , Wonder if there is a way to remove the cover and adjust it ? but i could not find a way to remove the lens cover on the 510 before, I feel bad Jim gave a lot of time on the Konica 310 that is not going to be with me after all just thankyou and thanks again .
Old Apr 15, 2006, 1:46 PM   #19

Update ,on this post ,The G 500 arrived , tis new + 12 months uk warranty, Strange its not usually available in england it was the Konica 510 for here i think ? same camera i know ,Guru Jim said so , The dealer had ten only and they went fast £109 so cheap inc postage uk ,.How about my idea that when k / m finished up they collected all stock unsold cameras and some dealers had a chance to buy / sell the last remaining stock? even overseas stock ie i dont think this not a uk model ? was made in Malasia it says on the bottom , Language was set allready i think to Japanese,strange ,had to change it to english . Lens cover is not as yet rubbing the body i hope it remains that way ,problems with that befor 510 and 600, Fixed focus , set it up like Jim tells ,I found in wide anglle everything seems to be in focus from about 3 ft - 12 ft if focus distance set to 2 M. what if set to 1 M or 4 M, whats in focus then , ie hperfocal distance is it, can i go to full tele at these three settings 1 2 4 m settings, or must i stay at wide me wonders like canon A 80 snap mode any info on these fixed focus setting would help ,, Great to have a G 500, have to learn it again , I think 2M is good for wide angle SNAP mode indoors with flash , or outside street shooter ,great mode to have, Rodo..
Old Apr 15, 2006, 2:47 PM   #20
Administrator

rodo wrote:
Quote:
Fixed focus , set it up like Jim tells ,I found in wide anglle everything seems to be in focus from about 3 ft - 12 ft if focus distance
It works like a charm.

I rarely even bother to use Autofocus indoors with my KD-510z. A 2 meter setting is fine for most distances within the flash range on the wide end of the lens of this camera, and also eliminates any autofocus lag. Using zoom will impact flash range anyway (since the lens is more than twice as bright at it's widest setting, compared to it's longest setting, which is typical of most subcompact cameras).

The way the AF is calibrated is also just fine for most ranges, since if lock fails, it usually defaults to a distance that gives you decent sharpness at most ranges you'd use a flash with indoors. But, setting focus to a fixed distance eliminates the AF lag time, too.