Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Mar 31, 2006, 3:16 AM   #1

Can any one please provide information on these two cameras specs, In particular is the Kd 310 sensor the same as its brother ie (same line) Minolta 500, Ive had the Konica 510 and KD 500 that is similar to the newer Minolta G 500, and have found in the UK a seller selling the Konica 310 and the Minolta G 500 as New with 12 months warranty yes new they say , not refurbished., They even have a shop to go and buy from , Any info on the differences i thank you , The KD 310 being only £70 and the G 500 £110 so if the 310 is good enough ? i might buy one if not ? the G 500 looks reasonable for a carry in the car camera i thought love the form factor , thanks for any opinion , Cant find any spec details on here for the Konica 310 , or opinions either.
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2006, 8:31 AM   #2
Administrator

The KD-310z is a 3 Megapixel camera, and doesn't have the adjustments you get with the KD-510z (ISO speed, etc.).

From a menu perspecitive, the KD-310z would be more like the KD-500z (except for a different sensor), as Konica didn't add all of the user adjustments until the later KD-510z (a.k.a., Minolta G500)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 9:47 AM   #3

Thank you Jim sir ,, I wonderd if it used the big G 500 /KD 510sensor , if so might be good ? Ie 3mp in a big sensor , cant find that info any place , or a spec sheet .
Old Mar 31, 2006, 9:58 AM   #4
Administrator

The KD-310z uses a Sony 3MP 1/1.8" CCD. This sensor is used by many older 3MP cameras (Nikon Coolpix 990, Sony DSC-S70, Olympus C-3030z, Epson 3000z, etc.).

It's the same size sensor as the Sony 5MP 1/1.8" CCD used in many 5MP models like the KD-510z.

The KD-310z is a fixed ISO speed camera (ISO 100), with no adjustments for most parameters (similar to the KD-500z menus). You've got to go with the newer KD-510z (G500) if you want more control.

Old Mar 31, 2006, 10:41 AM   #5
Administrator

Photos from the KD-310z from owners with albums on pbase.com:

http://www.pbase.com/cameras/konica/kd310z

Old Apr 1, 2006, 4:43 AM   #6

Thanks Jim . I wonder is that not unusuall a 3mp with the big sensor these days ie on the very latest cameras ?, ok its basic like KD 500 you tell me( thanks )(I lost my KD 500 in thailand on vacation in january )butit took great photos imo , ,If i buy the 310 how would you think the printed 6 x 4 photos that is all i print these days compare to the G 500 , much difference ?,I noted that you do use auto settings a lot on your KD 510, but is that KD 310 maybe a good buy then for £70 , or would you pay the extra £40 and have a G 500 . This is just for carry every place in my pocket btw,thinking of a 5DSLR after sorted this compact purchase, they aregoing very cheap in the uk right now,
Old Apr 1, 2006, 10:43 AM   #7
Administrator

Yes, most 3MP models don't have sensors as large anymore. That can help reduce noise at higher ISO speeds, if needed to keep shutter speeds up.

But, only one problem, you don't have higher ISO speeds with a model like the KD-310z (it's fixed at ISO 100). ;-)

I personally wouldn't buy one (I'd rather have the flexibility to change things like ISO speed if needed). ISO 100 is fine for most conditions. But, from time to time, I do use ISO 200 with my KD-510z in low light (and rarely, even ISO 400 is used, despite the bad noise at ISO 400).

As for image quality, you'll have to judge it based on photos from others. I have not used the KD-310z.

Old Apr 1, 2006, 12:57 PM   #8

OK thank you Jim ,i will trythe lne again and get the G 500 many thanks to you .
Old Apr 1, 2006, 1:38 PM   #9
Administrator

P.S.

You could deliberately underexpose with the KD-310zto simulate higher ISO speeds if needed. Then, brighten up the photos using an image editor later.

The KD-310z appears to have Exposure Compensation that would let you do that (for example, set Exposure Compensation to -0.9 EV and your shutter speeds should be close to what you'd get if it had an ISO 200 setting).

It's 3MP sensor would probably handle underexposing by1 stop OK (as long as you didn't underexpose any more than that). Noise would be higher, just as if you'd used a higher ISO speed after editing.

You'd need to take the time to brighten the underexposed photos later with software, and you could lose some dynamic range with this technique. But, deliberately underexposing to get faster shutter speeds in low light with a camera like the KD-310z would be an option if you rarely needed anything over ISO 100.

Personally, I'd go for one of the models with the ability to make changes. The KD-310z is lacking the Quality menu choices available in the KD-510z (G500) that allow you to set ISO Speed via a user profile.

It all depends on how you'll use it, if you need the extra features or not.

For example, all photos in this album were at ISO 200 (except for the racecar, which was taken at ISO 400):

http://www.pbase.com/jcockfield/speedway

Here's one at a school dance recital I've posted before. KD-510z at ISO 200, 1/15 second with no flash:

Old Apr 3, 2006, 3:06 AM   #10

Thanks again, great photo but i cant carry a tripod around to get these type of slow shutter stops , picassa do a good lightening photo fix if i underexposed as you mention ive seen posted olympus 8800 owner posted that info , might be usedwith the 310 ,but even simple elements 3 i have scares me and im allways busy to do pp mind you my KD 500 took some great shots and i never missed iso changes , if the 310 would be as good as the Kd 500 id be happy.