Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Apr 26, 2006, 2:28 PM   #1

Does anyone know if Sony will be offering the 7ug upgrade to us D7 owners?

I have a D7 stock firmware and was trying to obtain the up grade but could not find it or get any info from Minolta before the closing. I found Minolta employees to be rude the last month of operations.

Sony has no clue as to what I am wanting.

If anyone has info please share.

Thanks newbie Kevin Burns.
kevin burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2006, 2:53 PM   #2
Administrator

I haven't seen any mention ofwhat Sony is going to be offering so far.It's probably reasonable to expect some of the accessories to be sold under the Sony brand.

But, for an older firmware upgrade, given the age of the product, you never know.

Sony hasn't started selling any KM accessories yet. So, we'll just have to wait and see.

There is a UK distributor that acquired much of theexisting Minolta accessories and software in the UK

But, I don't know if the CD with the upgrade was included or not (and I don't know if they ship internationally).

http://www.minoltamania.co.uk/sales.htm

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 3:01 PM   #3

Thanks for the fast reply and link will look into it.

Regards Kevin.

PSS I just love my D7 but hate the slow focus. That is all I really want is a faster focus.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 3:34 PM   #4
Administrator

Kevin:

You'll find a review of the upgrade by NHLhere:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2001_...e7_firmup.html

One of the improvements was faster AF. However,this updatewas primarily to add new features. Due to the amount of R&D that went into it, Minolta decided to charge a nominal fee.

But, if all you're looking for is faster AF, you may want to try the free firmware upgrades. Improvements in performance are not likely to be significantly different between the upgrade you need to pay for and the updates offered for free.

You can still download the latest firmware (version 1.23) for your model here:

Firmware Download Page for DiMAGE 7

Old Apr 26, 2006, 4:09 PM   #5

Thank you much.

I am sorry for not mentioning that by the word "stock firmware" I meant all free versions are in my camera. I do have the 123 update. my mistake.

I found out late in the game that Minolta was selling out, so I tried franticly to get the 7ug. I was just a bit to late.

I guess I am stuck with slow focus. I have learned threw time to focus manualy for a faster focus.

Thanks for the time and link.

Old Apr 26, 2006, 4:47 PM   #6
Administrator

I'm not so sure the firmware is going to make that big of a difference between what you already have. Originally, a 50% increase in AF performance was claimed with the new firmware.

But, 50% is not a lot in the overall scheme of things, and the free updates did make some performance improvements later anyway. So, any performance difference is likely to be minimal now between the free firmware and the update they charge for.

Newer models are going to have faster processors. Sure, they can try to optimize the firmware a bit for faster AF. But, the processing (speed of the chips in the camera) is going to be a limiting factor.

Old Apr 26, 2006, 6:08 PM   #7

I was going to buy a newer version of the D7 but the ccd is smaller then in the D7. I do some IR work so the larger CCD is a plus for me.

The only real difference in the newer models is audio and a few other things, but nothing I really want. I might get my hands on another D7 and remove the IR cut filter for IR work.

I never thought of the processor speed, I shoot raw a lot. The faster processor might speed that aspect up. I don't know tho.

What would a faster processor do, in the long run?

I really have no clue.

Again thanks for the help and info.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 6:29 PM   #8
Administrator

The size of the CCD in the DiMAGE 7, 7i, 7hi and A1 is the same, with the same number of photosites. They are all Sony 2/3" sensors with 5 Million Photosites.

But, the original Dimage 7 (your model) is much more sensitive to IR.

The newer A2 also uses a Sony 2/3" CCD (same size sensor as the earlier models in this series). However, it's got more photostites packed into it (it's an 8 Megapixel model). As a result, noise levels are higher. It's not as sensitive to IR either.

A newer model like the A1is going tobe a better performer compared to your DiMAGE 7 from an Autofocus and write speed perspective. It can buffer 5 raw photos, too. But, it can take a while to flush them to media so that you can use the camera again.

If you want significantly better performance, I'd look at the DSLR models. For example, I've got a Maxxum 5D that can write to a fast compactflash card at approximately 8.8MB/Second (approximately 1 raw frame/second) *after* the internal buffer is full. But, they are not very senstiive to IReither.

Your model is well liked by some users, because it is much more sensitive to IR compared to the newer models. So, if you like IR, I wouldn't upgrade (unless you feel comfortable removing the IR cut filter).

Old Apr 26, 2006, 9:24 PM   #9

Yes, your correct on the CCD, "my fault". I did not know the senors where the same size between the models.

So maybe a newer version of the D7 with the mod would be a much better choice for the IR.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

You have been a great help, as I must have been comprehending the CCD info incorrect.

Live and learn.

I have no problem modding a camera, "Hay" it's a hobby.

I did the mod, removed the cut filter from a Minolta s404 with great luck. Although it is a much easier mod to do on a s404 then on a D7. I am sure.

Have a great night, Ill be back soon!!

Old Apr 27, 2006, 4:31 PM   #10
E.T

JimC wrote:
Quote:
A newer model like the A1*is going to*be a better performer compared to your DiMAGE 7 from an Autofocus and write speed perspective.** It can buffer 5 raw photos, too.* But, it can take a while to flush them to media so that you can use the camera again.
With firmware released in last November A1's writing time should be about 3-4 seconds per RAW (with multiple RAWs) with Sandisk Ultra II or Extreme III considering smaller filesize (~7MB vs ~12MB) and A2 write times: (1/3 RAWs)
Ultra II - 1GB - 4.7s/11.3s
Extreme III - 2GB - 5s/12.5s

Now I might buy some Transcend cards before summer, speed is very good.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=16915851
And price/capacity is exceptional... (2GB for ~70 euros, 4GB ~130 and 8GB 240 euros)
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote