Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old May 1, 2006, 6:44 PM   #1

Hi guys, my inlaws, have the above camera, and want a new lense... Currently they have the 28mm wide angel, and a 50mm prime lense..... who makes lenses for this camera, (which are compatible) and what diameter is the lense.... we are trying to get something done for mothers day...

thanks for your time,

dashboardgyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2006, 10:48 PM   #2
Administrator

dashboardgyno wrote:
Quote:
Hi guys, my inlaws, have the above camera, and want a new lense... Currently they have the 28mm wide angel, and a 50mm prime lense..... who makes lenses for this camera, (which are compatible) and what diameter is the lense.... we are trying to get something done for mothers day...
The Minolta Maxxum (a.k.a., Dynax) 7000 was introduced in 1985, as the world's first "body integral" Autofocus SLR.

Quote:
However, a relatively low profile Minolta rocked the entire photographic community in January 1985 with a new breed of AF camera which has a revolutionary concept that made it differed from other "mainstream industrial design" adopted by other makers. "New" because there were two major factors of which one of them has a great impact to the existing Minolta users - the Company decided to drop support for the older MC/MD mount and replaced with an fully electronic lens mount with no backward compatibility.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...um7k/index.htm

Any Minolta Autofocus Lens (a.k.a., Minolta AF, Maxxum, Dynax, Minolta A-Mount) will work on it, with the exception of some of the brand new "made for digital" lenses that have image circles designed specficially for DSLR models with sensors smaller than 35mm film.

Minolta has manufactured a number of different lenses in this mount since 1985, with around 16 Million total lenses produced between the models offered, and that's not counting third party lenses from Tamron, Sigma, Tokina, Vivitar, Cosina and others.

Here are some of them (and this is an incomplete list):

Fixed Focal Length Lenses

Macro Lenses

Zoom Lenses

What you need will depend on the subject type, conditions, use for the images, and your expectation of quality.

Size and weight can also come into the equation (you may not want to lug around a larger and heavier lens, or multple lenses for a desired focal range, so you may want compromise in some areas)

You really need to take each lens on a case by case basis, looking at things like focal length/range, brightness, ergonomics, AF Speed, resistance to flare, color, contrast, sharpness, size, weight, cost and more.

No one lens is going to be perfect for all uses in all conditions.

Is there a an area where the existing lenses are lacking?

With only 2 primes, they may need something in some zooms for more flexibility.

You can spend a little or a lot on a lens. Do you have a budget in mind?

BTW, I've got two Maxxum 7000 bodiies. It's a very inexpensive camera now on the used market. I recently paid $52 for a working Maxxum 7000, including a Minolta 35-70mm f/4 Macro from B&H. Before that, I bought another one for $49 on Ebay in a package that included a working Maxxum 7000, a Minolta 50mm f/1.7, and a Minolta 1800AF flash.

I bought them just to get the lenses (since any Maxxum/Dynax lens will also work on a Konica Minolta DSLR, and I have a Maxxum 5D).

As for lens diameter, it's going to vary by lens.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote