Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old May 4, 2006, 5:43 AM   #1

I'm doing some pictures this weekend (using a Dimage 7Hi) and can't decide between RAW and TIFF. I know most people always say RAW but so far I've been a little disapointed in the results (I use Photoshop Elements 4 to process) compared to the results from TIFF. Any one got any suggestions to this quandry??
EdGallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 4, 2006, 6:50 AM   #2

I have a dimage A200 and Photoshop CS, so I have no experience with the 7hi or PS Elements. However I suggest you download Raw Shooter Essentials from this web site:

http://www.pixmantec.com/products/ra...essentials.asp

It's a free download. Give this software a try with your raw files and see if you like it better than Elements. I know I prefer the results over Photoshops Adobe Raw Converter. Good Luck.
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 4:01 PM   #3
Administrator

Reviews I've seen with comparisons between TIFF and Extra Fine JPEG indicate that TIFF isn't going to give you any noticeable advantage in image quality with the 7Hi.

So, I'd probably save the space and shoot jpeg between TIFF and Extra Fine JPEG.

For best quality, shoot in raw. But, remember that you'll need to perform the image processing steps the camera was doing before (it's tweaking contrast, sharpening, etc.).

Not all raw ocnverters will produce equivalent results. So, you may need to do a little bit more with the images for the desired impact (for example, sharpening a bit with USM, adjusting levels, etc.). Try a few raw converters until you get a feel for the differences between them. Even some of the free converters can do a pretty decent job.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 4:40 PM   #4
E.T

JPEGs from that camera are big enough to not have any visible quality loss so TIFF is waste of writing time and space.

For RAW I would suggest trying that RawShooter Essentials.
Settings affect much to conversion result, especially sharpening/saturation might be one you would want to tweak.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 10:12 PM   #5

I also use a D7hi, and mostly shoot RAW. It does take some extra time, though, so if you are one to shoot lots of pics daily, it may not be worth your while. It does give you the most flexiblilty in exposure and white balance. Even I, occasionaly miss getting exposure exaclty right:G. and RAW allows me to correct small errors.

As to converters, everyone has his own favorite. I have been able to get very good results with several, but only two give correct colors using camera settings - Dimage Viewer, and Raw Deal. Adobe and Pixmantec programs are easier to use, though. Irfanview also gives good results if you don't need to make adjustments.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2006, 5:19 AM   #6

I think I will give RAW another go, I suppose it does give me the most amounts of options, and I suppose the greatest detail.

Now I just hope the weather is nice.:-)
Old May 8, 2006, 8:21 AM   #7

Well the weather wasn't too nice - but I am so glad I used RAW, really helped in being able to bring the pictures to life :-)