Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Apr 24, 2003, 2:08 AM   #1

Default Just got a S414!! need help with...!

Really awesome camera!!
I tested auto-focus and it worked fine...same as A40 I had before.
Picture quality excellent and the camera is fast and user friendly
Question for you guys.....
Does anybody notice something strange with the lenses movement mechanism?
I mean mine opens fast but is noisy and is slower closing and makes
a crunching noise...( makes me worried because my A40
never did that)
Also the zoom is a little bit noisy and bumpy....
I never had a minolta before and I don't know if its normal!!
Any help will be appreciated!
Thanks.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2003, 3:18 PM   #2
Stu

Hi m8, I have the S404 , it definitely is faster opening than closing and is quite noisy when opening/closing and zooming , but have not noticed any "crunching" sounds
HTH

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2003, 9:52 PM   #3

hi Stu!
Thank you for the reference.
I think I didn't express myself correctly....!
Is not exactly a crunching noise, is something like the gearing
mechanism inside the camera.
Maybe I noticed that because the A40 I had was quiet in the open/close operation.
And if yours is like mine, faster opening than close, I believe is everything all set.
Maybe i'll stop by in a Store and make a comparison with their
floor model.
Thank again!
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2003, 11:00 AM   #4

On the 404 you can definitely hear the zoom. Not really noisy, but within a couple feet of the camera, you can definitely hear it. Really the only thing I don't like about the camera is that movement and the lense seem a little fragile.
whittonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2003, 12:57 PM   #5

I am actually having a problem with the zoom. The lens gets stuck sometimes and "Err" displays on the LCD.

What happened when I first got the camera, even though I have sets of NiMH's, I just popped in the alkalines that came with it so I could try it out right away. I took a few test shots and had no problems. I then shut it off, put it in my camera bag and came back about an hour later to find that it had turned itself on and the batteries were overheating to the point that it started warping the battery compartment door!
I managed to get it open eventually and removed the batteries and put in my rechargeables. The camera seemed to operate just fine again, but then the lens stuck.

I sent it in for repair to Minolta. They fixed the battery door, but the lens still sticks sometimes when operating the zoom. Turning the camera on and off doesn't solve it most times. The lens won't retract back into the camera as normal.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. I may have to send it in for repair a second time. The way I get it unstuck it to gently push on the lens when I turn the camera on while the zoom mechanism is operating as it "starts up", but that doesn't always do the trick either. Sometimes I have to repeat turning the cam on and off a few times before the error clears.

Anyone have any ideas on this?
robengel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2003, 2:29 PM   #6

Happened the first couple weeks I had the camera. I don't use anything but 1800ma+ Nimhs in it anymore and it has not happened in a very long time. Red light would come on and you had to remove bats to restart camera. This can also occur if you accidentially turn the camera on in your bag and the lens meets resistance- it stops everything to keep from detroying the lens motor and gears. If it would only shut down instead of overheating when that happened.
whittonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2003, 2:31 PM   #7

I've not experienced this with my 414 although a couple of times it has tried to switch itself on in my bag. I've sorted that by putting it in in such a way that pressure on the rotating switch is toward the off position. (It can now only turn itself on when I take it out of the back).

Back to your stuck lens, it sounds to me as if the zoom mechanism was strained when the camera switched itself on. This may also account for the overheat because the camera normally switches itself off after about a minute. I would suggest a trip back to Minolta services is the best answer.
brian1208 is offline   Reply With Quote