Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jul 9, 2002, 8:24 PM   #1

Default New 7i

Just got the camera last Saturday. Going on close to 250 shots already. Got lots of questions to sort out and get control of. It looks to be a great camera but have a few grips. Nothing's perfect. I'll past some shots soon.

First observation:
-Yes it gets warm-lockups???
-Yes it appears to like batteries. I plan on getting a dc source or battery pack. I filled the 128 and 16 meg card on Sunday and used two sets of NiMH. Might of had 4 shots left when the battery went.
-Need to see if it has a Manual focus lock. Use MF alot for the speed of shooting action at a fixed distance. It kept getting adjusted.
-Got to rememmber to open the flash, good and bad to this.
-Noise? I can see it in some shots. Haven't decided if its a major issue or not.
-Where's this color converter? I loaded the viewer but don't see where to run the color space correction. Not that they need it to my eyes.
-Wish the view finder would go off when not usuing it (like in auto mode) but in the EVF only mode. Would this help battery life?
-need to find a filter for outdoors at the lake and maybe a tele lens for fun. Appears like this might be a challenge.

-Finally need to get off my butt and learn to take better photos
Ken E is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2002, 10:40 PM   #2

Default Hi Power battery packs

if you want some serious juice check out www.digitalcamerabattery.com. you'll run down before the battery does. average shots fresh recharge w/5600d strobe 50% (Battery can run both camera and strobe 2 outputs w/proper cables) 700 shot range. the penalty is its a belt pack. but i find it worth it for serious power. quality manufacture 30watt nimh battery pack.of course you output may vary according to LCD use and other mucking around.

[Edited on 7-10-2002 by sjms]
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2002, 10:48 PM   #3

Default color conversion

they did a remap of the color output and made it closer to sRGB so the software processing is no longer necessary. the D7 firmware upgrade will also deal with that issue on that camera that is why DIVU 2.0 will be available. i play in adobe rgb playground 80% of the time
Old Jul 9, 2002, 10:51 PM   #4

Default Viewfinder

as far as the viewfinder goes. if your refering to the evf, it goes off automatically on mine until i put my eye up to it. check the settings out. i'll look at mine when i get home to see how i set mine up. i keep the LCD off until i really need it to review

Old Jul 9, 2002, 10:55 PM   #5

Default filters

any filters you put on over 4mm thick will enter the vignette zone at the 28mm end.
Old Jul 10, 2002, 6:33 AM   #6
NHL

Ken E

See next post for improving batteries performance, but like all digital cameras, they will lock up when the battery is running low!

The color converter is in DIVU and it automatically happens when you load the picture with the program when you check the sRGB tab (there's also an Adobe RGB tab...) But remember... unless you save the pictures in DIVU (you can also renamed here...) nothing will happen!!!

Also you can also change the color with filter settings in the D7i...

[Edited on 7-10-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2002, 9:36 AM   #7

Default Colorspace

NHL is correct in that you should still throw your image thru DIVU and save in your appropriate colorspace. and it will be automatic on the saved image. i just got off the phone with minolta digital tech support. the colorspace has been changed from the D7. it is a kinder gentler colorspace( the D7 will get this treatment with the new firmware/software offer real soon). this is why even if you look at your images in say acdsee 4.0 they look marvelous. but if you wish to optimize your image put it thru the DIVU 2.0 convert. also in speaking to them i put in a request for some form of tag showing that it had been thru the DIVU laundry other than me having to manually change the name somewhat on each image. batch coversion as well. their # is 877.462.4464
the only way you can currently tell if the conversion is done is if you use photoshop and use their colorspace (adobe rgb). when you open the image in PS (unconverted images) you will be asked if you wish to convert fron srgb to adobe rgb. converted images open right up no questions asked.

Old Jul 10, 2002, 10:18 AM   #8

Putting jpgs throgh the software (DIVU) causes them to be re-saved -therefore re-compressed which again looses quality!! unless you are using TIF.

Noise? make sure you're in ISO 100 try the controls on the left side of the barrel
lithivm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2002, 8:57 PM   #9

Default EVF

Got the auto EVF changed. I changed the setup but had it in the EVF only mode. Put it back to auto with the setup change and got what I wanted. EVF only and only when you look through it.
Ken E is offline   Reply With Quote