Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jun 14, 2006, 5:15 PM   #1

A few weeks ago, I let a mother use my camera to take and print pictures for the school yearbook. The card came back unable to function in the camera, and will actually cause FreeBSD, SUSE Linux, and XP to reboot after some time in a card reader. I didn't think any more of this until . . .

I bought a 2G SD card a week ago. Putting it in, I was happy to see that it would hold over a thousand pictures in the highesxt setting' no more messing with individual cards.

I checked it in the computer, which could read it as well. When I put it back in, however, it was "unable to use card." Further investigation showed that this message also happens with two other known good cards. The computer can still read them all (save for the problem card mentioned above).

I've reset the camera to factory settings. I've checked the "lock" tab. I can't find any way to format the card with the camera, and my manual still hasn't surfaced after my move.

I noticed mention of pins on another camera, but the SD doesn't seem to use pins, but a slot. I can't see anything poking in a funny direction when I peek in.

Can anyone make a suggestion that lets me use the camera again?

Thanks

hawk
dochawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2006, 5:48 PM   #2

One thing to check on, is what file system has the memory card been formatted with. Since your computer is able to read/access the card, but your camera cannot, the card may be using a FAT system not compatable with the camera.

You can check this on your computer. In windows, open windows explorer. Then right click on the drive letter that corresponds to your memory card and select PROPERTIES. The window will tell you what FAT system the card is using.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2006, 7:39 PM   #3
Administrator

I don't know if the Z2 even supports 2GB cards.

The newer Z3 did not support 2GB cards with the original firmware. A firmware upgrade was required to get 2GB SD Card Support with a Z3 (and the update that gave it 2GB card support wasn't released until November 2004).

I'd try updating your firmware to the latest version to see if that helps (but, the last firmware update for the Z2 came out months earlier than the update that gave the Z3 support for 2GB cards, so I wouldn't get my hopes up). The last firmware update for the Z2 is dated April 2004.

As amazingthailand mentioned, it could also be that the cards are formatted using a 32 Bit FAT (which is not compatible with your Z2). So, cards over 2GB would definitely not work (these require a 32 bit FAT).

If you right click on the card reader drive under Windows XP and select Format, make sure to select FAT from the drop down list of file system types you'll see to reformat a card using a 16 Bit FAT. By default, Windows will use a 32 bit FAT which won't work with many cameras. But, a 2GB card will format using FAT (which is what Microsoft will call a 16 bit FAT in it's drop down menus when formatting).

After formatting a card using FAT as the File System Type using XP, then try to format it again using your Z2 and see if it works or not with the latest firmware installed.

If not, see if it will work after formatting it as FAT with XP without trying another format using the camera (it may still work, even if the firmware won't support formatting a 2GB card).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 12:29 AM   #4

It's definitely fat32 (but this had never occurred to me).

The camera did read it the irst time, and calculated that it could hold over 1000 pictures in the highest res mode (which seems about right).

The critical problem at the moment is that it will no longer recognize *any* card--I get the same "unable to use card" message with my 128m and 256m cards.

Also, I note that the minoltausa web site just doesn't work. I don't know if that is a probloem just now, or has to do with leaving the camera business. Is there another "safe" place to download the firmware upgrade?

thanks

hawk
Old Jun 15, 2006, 7:09 AM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
It's definitely fat32 (but this had never occurred to me).
Cards formatted as FAT32 will *not* work correctly in your camera.

Cards willneed to be formatted using a file system type of FAT using XP (which is FAT16)

Quote:
Also, I note that the minoltausa web site just doesn't work. I don't know if that is a probloem just now, or has to do with leaving the camera business. Is there another "safe" place to download the firmware upgrade?
Sorry. I thought I included the link. Here it is:

http://ca.konicaminolta.com/support/...ers/index.html

If no cards are working, including smaller cards (that are not formatted as fat32, since your camera is not compatible with a 32 bit fat), then I don't know what would be wrong unless a ocmponent has failed or your not making a good enough connection at the card contacts.

Have you tried another battery?

Old Jun 15, 2006, 4:22 PM   #6

I've tried a few different battery loads, both nimh and alkaline. I get the same response every way.

It seems that I already have version 1.02.

I even reformatted a 128 card, and it still can't use it--but it can tell when the card is locked, and gives me a diferent message ("Card locked").

It definitel used the 2G, though, the ver first time it went in, and correctly calculated the available space (judging by the number of pictures it ofered).

hawk, wondering if he needs a repair ship

Old Jun 15, 2006, 4:36 PM   #7
Administrator

Just make sure it's NOT formatted as FAT32 (FAT32 is not compatible with your camera). I'd make sure to try formatting a card as FAT under XP (and reformat it with the camera menus after that if it recognizes it OK).

Since you mentioned using Linux... When I've used cards with Linux to transfer files, I've ended up with problems before (cameras not recognizing a card).

Even though my primary OS is XP, I run SimplyMepis on my desktop from time to time, as well as Kanotix (I've got multiple partitions setup). My wife is running SimplyMepis on her laptop. When I used a card a while back to copy some stuff between the PCs, none of my cameras would recognize if for some reason (even though I didn't change the file system).

In that case, I needed to use Windows Disk Administration to get it working again.

Formatting it as FAT using format utilities that came with two different Linux distros didn't work (and neither did the FAT format using XP when I right clicked on the drive letter, selected format and selected FAT from the drop down list of file system types).

For some reason, the Windows Disk Admin tool corrected the problem when I reformatted the card with it (when nothing else I tried let the cameras see the card).