Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jul 21, 2006, 4:23 PM   #11
E.T

malakaka wrote:
Quote:
I sent the 7Hi directly to Precision, where it sat for three weeks.* Then they sent it to Sony.* Apparently the spare parts are no longer available.

I'll update when I receive the exchange unit.* Unknown whether new or refurbished.* Unknown whether 7Hi, A2, or A200.* Personally, an A200 is fine, but I know a few issues with that camera you pros may not like.* I always prefer a metal body, which the A200 is not, if I remember.* I think the TIFF option is unavailable in the A200, again I may be wrong.* The A200 lacks the flash sync, which I would not use, but nice to have.* If it's important to you, you could probably press the issue with Sony, but I have not.
CCD used in 7-serie is such old that it propably isn't available anymore.

As for TIFF that's completely useless camera output format, it just wastes space, takes long to write and doesn't have any advantages over JPEG.
While A200 has few things better it's otherwise very strongly "point&shoothesized" compared to A1/A2. (plus lacks EVF sensor)

malakaka wrote:
Quote:
My repair ticket lists many things such as auto focus test, recalibration and alignment, software test and recalibration, return all functions to factory specs, electronic/mechanical corrections and adjustments etc.
That's natural because replacing CCD requires so much disassembling that if they would just put it back together I bet there would be big pile of wrong calibrations.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 12:48 PM   #12

I just want to update and I hope mikekeyw also writes his update.

I'm starting to get angry. Sony is the same as always. :P

Two weeks after they received the camera, plus the three weeks it sat at Precision, I got a letter today (no camera). They offer three choices: 1. Get my camera back as-is 2. If I have a receipt, they buy it from me for a "prorated" amount 3. Accept a "comparable" new or refurbished Sony DSC-H2.

If you are forceful and have time, you might get more, but I'll probably accept the camera and sell it. It was probably too expensive to give A2 and A200 to everyone.

This cheap silver plastic Sony DSC-H2 is definitely not comparable. What I see quickly: no TIFF/RAW, no articulating LCD/viewfinder, no flash shoe, no flash sync, no manual focus ring, no manual zoom ring, no metal body, etc.

As for ET's comments, there are always people with high number of posts on forums and I often wondered why. Now I know: they must comment on everything whether the words are meaningful or not. I am not a pro, but TIFF is the standard in graphics and printing, so why shoot in JPEG then to convert to TIFF? Why shoot the life's most important photos in a lossy format? Everytime I edit them, they are saved again and lose more detail. You may not like it, but it is far from useless. As I remember, the A1 allowed TIFF shooting as fast as JPEG because it had a large buffer, so I think you were wrong about that also.

If anybody has ideas about what to do, please post. Thank you.
malakaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 4:08 PM   #13

I talked to Sony. She quickly offered the DSC-H5, which I accepted to end the problem. I demanded a new camera, not refurbished. Plus a 512 Mb memory stick. Overall a long process, a cheaper camera, but I'm ok with it. I'll sell it as soon as I can and buy a used A1. If you try harder, you might get a better camera; I accepted her first offer.

(If you have a receipt, subtract 1/7 the cost for every year you had the 7Hi. Sony will buy it back for that amount, but who knows when you'll get the check)
Old Jul 29, 2006, 2:55 PM   #14
E.T

malakaka wrote:
Quote:
I talked to Sony.* She quickly offered the DSC-H5, which I accepted to end the problem.* I demanded a new camera, not refurbished.* Plus a 512 Mb memory stick.* Overall a long process, a cheaper camera, but I'm ok with it.* I'll sell it as soon as I can and buy a used A1.
Well, good luck for search.
It's quite sure that "A1s searching new owner" are as rare as honest politicians.

malakaka wrote:
Quote:
This cheap silver plastic Sony DSC-H2 is definitely not comparable.* What I see quickly: no TIFF/RAW, no articulating LCD/viewfinder, no flash shoe, no flash sync, no manual focus ring, no manual zoom ring, no metal body, etc.
And that was something what Sonyist touted to be comparable to prosumers of (Konica)Minolta when Sony bought KM's camera division...
You forgot menu surfing controls plus standard unwide angle.

Quote:
As for ET's comments, there are always people with high number of posts on forums and I often wondered why.* Now I know: they must comment on everything whether the words are meaningful or not.* I am not a pro, but TIFF is the standard in graphics and printing, so why shoot in JPEG then to convert to TIFF?* Why shoot the life's most important photos in a lossy format?* Everytime I edit them, they are saved again and lose more detail.* You may not like it, but it is far from useless.
TIFF is already lossy format because of its nature, it throws away considerable amount of data captured by CCD and to top of that result has been through incamera processing so quality of results is severely limited by processing power/used algorithms so anyone seriously wanting to make sure to have used full capabilities of lens/CCD combination would shoot in RAW.
Neither has incamera conversion/processing of (Konica)Minolta prosumers been above mediocre which takes lot of ground away under using TIFF for "better quality than JPEG". Sure it's better if you compare to tightest JPEG compression setting but againt highest quality JPEG it doesn't really offer any advantages. (except in some P&Ss of others which have too tight JPEG compression settings)

And don't tell me that you always continue from previously messed up picture instead of original which should always be kept unedited and used as base for making new "editions" of photo. If that's the case loseless format doesn't help anything because every adjustment you do to pic causes loss of data/change of it to farther from original.
For normal use TIFF is usefull inside editing process of one edition... and even then it would be better to use formats of image editors which can retain all adjustments done to photo in different layers. As final "presentation format" it's far from ideal because of big storage space requirement and more limited support than JPEG. (which don't really matter in graphics business and other special areas like that)
Also RAW gives much more freedom for adjusting pictures after they have been taken... correcting wrong white balance setting being fully harmless as one of the biggest advantages.

TIFF isn't buffered.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 2:12 PM   #15

My last post. I received the new Sony H5 today. So back to the topic: they fixed my A1 after 3 weeks, I was happy. They did not fix the 7Hi, but after 6 weeks they sent the Sony H5, so I'm not happy, but not angry.

I already sold the H5, so I'll buy a used camera soon.

ET, in the last 3 months I bought the A1, 7Hi, 7i, a Nikon 5700 among others, so I'm sure I'll find another. You obviously know much about cameras; I am just a beginner, so I cannot argue all your points. I only disagree with your original comment that TIFF is "completely useless". Yes RAW maybe best, but for me TIFF is also better than JPG.

Good luck with your cameras everybody!

Old Aug 4, 2006, 12:32 PM   #16

I sent my sony dscv1 to sony and they sent it to precision. after three weeks today the web site states camera is repaired. i was wondering how to tell if they really replaced the ccd, also is there a warrenty on the camera after the repair.

thanks for any input.
zeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 2:32 PM   #17

I just recently had to send in my 7D in for repair. Still under warranty with an additional 5 year warranty. Same problem that everyone else is having: shutter lock-up, anti-shake indicator flashing, 5 bars in the right side of the viewfinder flashing, no focus, grinding noise. PCR sent the camera back saying that it was not repairable. Did not indicate what needed to be replaced or even offer me a chance to have a non-warrantied repair done on the camera, just flat refused to repair the camera. I called PCR today and was told by customer support that they could not repair the camera because of impact damage to the viewfinder. I asked about the availablity of parts and was told that if there were no parts available to repair my camera if would have stated so on the workorder. Just that it was beyond repair. Would not tell me what was broken and needed to be replaced. I then called Sony, relayed my previous conversation to customer service and after alot of "Let me just check for andditional information" was passed on to the nexthigher level of support. This support personthe reason that PCR could not fix my 7D was because they probably did not have any parts and that Sony would most likely offer a buyback at a prorated amount. He took all of my information and phone number and said that he would get back to as soon as he had more information. I wait breathless for the call. I really am very disappoint by this situation since I have been a life long Minilta user. I still own several different Minolta cameras including the 7 and the A200 as well as accessories and lenses. If any one finds an alternate source for repair I would appreciate it they would let me know. I really love my7D and will not be able to afford a comparable DSLR any time soon.
mderossett is offline   Reply With Quote