Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old May 8, 2003, 12:51 PM   #1

Default Minolta S414

Howdy Guys,

I am about to buy my first DigiCam, after reading Steve's brilliant reviews and looking through these excellent forums I'm about 80% sold on the S414. I have just three reservations left. Firstly, as the 4-way selector doubles up as the zoom control is it durable enough to last years of repeated use compared with other cameras with seperate controls? Secondly, is the eyepiece acceptle for Veri-Focal glasses or will I just have to use the screen all the time? Finally, as the lens starts at F.3.0 is going to be bright enough in bad light to avoid camera shake?

I would be more than grateful for any info you good people have
Andy
ANDY 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2003, 12:28 AM   #2

I can respond to a few since I own the predecessor to the S414 the S404. I don't think the mechanics etc have changed much.

I've had my S404 for about 2 years and taken over 6,200 pictures. The Zoom and four-way control still works fine.

Don't know about the use of Veri-focal lens with the eyepiece.

I really haven't had any significant problems with the use of the F3.0 lens with regard to shakes. You can do some work-around with the use of higher ISO settings and slower shutter speed if you put the camera into manual mode. I've generally found slow focussing in low lighting conditions to be more of a problem. But then again, many cameras in this price range and below have a similar problem.

Hope this helps. Aloha.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2003, 1:36 PM   #3

Default Minolta S414 4-way selector

Thanks Selvin that does help a lot and wow! thats a lot of pics from one camera but yikes! what are pixel hot spots that Tealblue had? and has anybody else had that problem?

Many thanks again for your help.

Andy
Old May 10, 2003, 3:23 AM   #4

Hot pixels are when pixels will always record a bright light in a certain part of the picture. All camera's have the potential for having hot pixels, and tealblues report is the first i've heard of it on the s414 (probably just a bad batch or something), so I wouldn't be too worried. Also, stuff like this is covered by the warranty and the camera store will probably exchange it or let you get your money back as well.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2003, 2:18 PM   #5

Default TO ANDY 7

Andy 7. I want to tell that the dealer fixed my camera.(remaped) the pixels and now i have no problem what so ever!!! Dont let that stop you from getting this camera!! It can happen and has on ANY brand of camera. The brand and price or size has nothing to do with it. And yes i would buy this camera again. Tealblue
tealblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2003, 7:17 PM   #6

Default Minolta S414

Thanks guys thats great info I'm learning loads from you all. I am now about 90% on the S414 the other 10% is on the Olympus C4000Z with it's excellent lens/image quality/price etc, but on the downside it has Smart Media which at 128mb max must be very limiting on a 4 megapixel camera compared with the Minolta's CF1 storage. Did any of you look at both cameras with same conclusion?

ANDY 7
Old May 12, 2003, 2:21 AM   #7

I also ended up ordering the S414 after looking at the C4000z (and Fuji Finepix 3800 or S304). It just seemed like the better package overall. I should be receiving it anytime now...

I also got myself a 128MB CF card (and have an extra 256MB one that I use on my pocket pc that I can use with the camera if necessary on extended trips) and you certainly are right 128MB IS a big limitation...
hkoyuncu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2003, 11:57 AM   #8

Default S414

Thanks Hkoyuncu

I will be interested in what you think of it when you have taken a few shots. Last year a friend took his G2 on holiday with us and then gave me a cd in which I printed them out on glossy photo paper at A4 size and that just blew my socks off so I am hoping the S414 will give simular results although I know the Cannon is a class above.

Andy 7
Old May 13, 2003, 4:52 PM   #9

My first 8x10" print I got back from my 404 just amazed me- color and detail were great- sharpness excellent- as good as any print I had made with my 35mm film equipment. I had it pro printed through an online service, but I'm sure those savy with their printers can get great results at home (I tend to forget to buy ink, or run out of good paper so I just pay a little more to have them done for me). I'm waiting for that shot is good enough to be worth the money to test at even bigger sizes.

I wouldn't mind the swivel screen and hotshoe for external flash of the G2 or G3, and I know on the rez chart tests it out performs the 404/414 by a bit- but seriously at 8x10" size these cameras do great work.
whittonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2003, 1:09 AM   #10

Andy 7
Got the camera on Monday and so far I have been very pleased with it. I am still trying to learn my way around it but so far the pics I took turned out quite good. I will be going on a three-day vacation this weekend and will be taking a lot of pics. If you give me an e-mail address I can send you the URL when I post them to ofoto.com for friends to see.
hkoyuncu is offline   Reply With Quote