Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old May 13, 2003, 2:11 PM   #11
Don

Look back about six or eight weeks ago and you will see that I had the same problem with my 7i, except that the data storage light came on when the camera was turned on, and stayed on for about 30-60 seconds. If I left batteries in the camera for a few hours they went dead, even with the camera turned off.

It took two trips to Minolta, at about $15 mailing cost each time, to finally get the camera fixed. This is not a new problem. I suppect it is related to the fact that the camera gets so how when in operation. That tells me that some of the internal electronics are getting very, very hot and something is burning out. The short battery live when using the camera tells me the same thing. The basic problem is probably bad electronics design.

All said, however, the camera can deliver fantastic pictures.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2003, 3:00 PM   #12

Don,
how much did Minolta charged ?, or is your cam is under warranty ?
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2003, 12:21 PM   #13
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCan
Don,
how much did Minolta charged ?, or is your cam is under warranty ?
The camera was in warranty and Minolta charged nothing. Unfortunately, even with an international warranty, I couldn't get the camera repaired in Thailand, where it broke. I had to wait until I returned to the U$A for repairs. The full report is at:

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...275&highlight=
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2003, 3:07 PM   #14

According to Minolta....bad power supply...$360 CAD. ouch! Only 1.5 years...it hurts man.
jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2003, 8:56 PM   #15

Hmm. I hope that's not related to what happened to me Saturday. I was at the zoo shooting animal shots---and the camera with new batteries, after just a dozen shots, died. I opened the battery compartment, took out the batteries, inserted them into different slots, and it worked. An hour later it died again. I repeated. It worked. And stayed working this time until I got home.

I haven't had more time to experiment--the batteries were 2100 mh.
monsieurms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2003, 12:52 PM   #16

Ouch Guys! Scared me out of my wits taking photos during a church service when the LED stayed on & on. Risked (?) and pulled the batteries out. So far no repeat of that. Was brand new at the time.
cald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2003, 10:10 AM   #17

I apologize up front about the length of this post, but the tale is in the telling, as they say..... Since my last post I have had a bad experience with Minolta's Tech Support. It went from frustration to "You ain't gonna believe this ____!" My camera arrived in NJ on Friday, May 16th. I called on the following Tues to see if they had any info as to why it had quit. I was told that my charge would be $208.48 for repairs, but they had no info on what had happened to it. They said a form was mailed to me that I had to return to them authorizing the repairs. I thought "Uh oh, more time till I get it back" and gave them authorization and payment over the phone instead of waiting for the form. I was told to check back in "a week or so" because the camera had not yet been assigned to a technician, and that the charges are a flat rate fee + tax. OK, I waited. The following Monday I checked again and they had no info yet. On Wednesday I was told the camera was fixed, AND shipped. Hooray! I thought.... It arrived on Friday the 30th, and as I was getting it ready to use, I checked the firmware to make sure I still had the upgrades installed and found A1v121e.A180, not the v201u that should have been there. e? not u? what gives? I concluded they had mistakenly loaded the europoean version of the firmware, so, I called tech support, got the normal script reading and after some debate, managed to escalate my call to a Supervisor level technician. He said I would have to wait until Monday to get some resolution of this since it was after normal business hours on Friday evening. Since I had no choice, I waited, again...... On Monday I retold the entire episode to another upper level Tech and she said..."they must have sent the wrong camera" and I said "The serial number is right" and she said...you're gonna love this...."Sometimes they swap cameras and change the serial numbers to keep your warranty records correct"........yep, my head exploded. The upshot is that I had to send it back again and she promised a one day turnaround on a US model. I did that Monday and am waiting for the return shipment. Any Thoughts on fraud?
fivewives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2003, 4:18 PM   #18

I've just found the same problem. I switched on the camera and the display showed a fully charged battery, after taking about 6 pictures the battery indicator went red and the camera stopped working. I inserted my spare batteries but the camera was still dead. When I went home I recharged the batteries and the camera still did not operate.
This is my second Hi, the first had a misaligned ccd which caused all of my pictures to be slanted by 1.5 degrees. The company where I bought the camera put me in contact withe Minolta, who told me that this was impossible. I maintained that it was happening and they asked me to send example pictures, which I did. I also sent a picture showing that the lens hood was not aligned with the camera and Minolta came back and said that I could exchange it. I have only had the new camera for a week and now this problem has occurred.
Perhaps Minolta should spend less on advertising and more on quality control.
Duncan Paton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2003, 11:29 PM   #19

I too have just had my Dimage 7i die on me. Only had the camera
for about a month, and now this. I will be calling Minolta on Monday, wonder if I will get the 'ol "never heard of that" saying.
Currently trying what NHL suggested but dont have much confidence that it will solve my problem. Will keep you posted...

Mike
odienia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2003, 8:27 AM   #20

I think that I have discovered the problem of the dead 7Hi's.
I received a replacement camera (from the shop where I bought it) after a problem with a missaligned CCD. This camera died on its second outing and I was given a replacement. Unbelievably, this camera died less than 24hrs after I had it and I am now waiting for my fourth camera. To cut a long story short, I reviewed all of the photos that I had taken with the 7Hi and found that the camera had failed after I had taken a lot of pics in quick succession (14 in 30 mins and 36 in 60 mins). These were the only instances where I had done this, all of my other pictures had been taken singly or in groups of two or three. This was the only difference as I had been using the same batteries etc. I concluded that there must be an incompatibility between the camera and the memory card which caused the card/camera to generate heat when the picture was saved. When a large number of pictures are taken in a short space of time, the card/camera did not have time to dissipate the heat and became hotter with each picture until it died. I put this to the shop manager, who contacted their technical department and they agree that this is the probable cause and have agreed to replace the camera and the cards ( with Sandisk Ultra cards). The original cards were oem cards with the shop's logo, so I could not find any info on them on the internet.
Luckily I bought the cards and camera from the same shop.
I cannot guarantee that this is the cause of the problem, however it seem to be a reasonable hypothesis. I am now looking forward to receiving my 4th 7Hi so watch this space..!
I hope that this helps
Duncan Paton is offline   Reply With Quote