Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jan 10, 2005, 2:51 PM   #21

Me too - many pictures in quick succession - the next day, after 15 pics - DEAD!

I suggest filling the CF card with manual focus manual exposure smallest JPG shots for an hour or so before the warranty ends to test heat coold down reliability.

Maybe the magazine reviewers can try this with new cameras on loan - how hot does it get in continuous shooting and does it lock up or burn out? At 1 hour? At 2 hours? At 8 minutes?

I imagine they (factory and magazines) tested these with small CF cards, and now we are using 1gb and larger, so we do not change the card on a massive continuous shoot, and the larger the card, the more heat anyway, right? Hmm ... cooling fan time?

What do other people think? What warranty is left for any Minolta Dimage 7 except as sold used through a store? Any extended warranties from independent insurance companies? Any thoughts on thorough and exhaustive testing before the warranty's end?

Peter Blaise Monahon

Konica Minolta Photographer

[email protected]

http://www.peterblaisephotography.com/

http://www.kinicaminoltaphotography.com/
peterblaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 5:14 PM   #22

Duncan Paton wrote:
Quote:
I think that I have discovered the problem of the dead 7Hi's.
I received a replacement camera (from the shop where I bought it) after a problem with a missaligned CCD. This camera died on its second outing and I was given a replacement. Unbelievably, this camera died less than 24hrs after I had it and I am now waiting for my fourth camera. To cut a long story short, I reviewed all of the photos that I had taken with the 7Hi and found that the camera had failed after I had taken a lot of pics in quick succession (14 in 30 mins and 36 in 60 mins). These were the only instances where I had done this, all of my other pictures had been taken singly or in groups of two or three. This was the only difference as I had been using the same batteries etc. I concluded that there must be an incompatibility between the camera and the memory card which caused the card/camera to generate heat when the picture was saved. When a large number of pictures are taken in a short space of time, the card/camera did not have time to dissipate the heat and became hotter with each picture until it died. I put this to the shop manager, who contacted their technical department and they agree that this is the probable cause and have agreed to replace the camera and the cards ( with Sandisk Ultra cards). The original cards were oem cards with the shop's logo, so I could not find any info on them on the internet.
Luckily I bought the cards and camera from the same shop.
I cannot guarantee that this is the cause of the problem, however it seem to be a reasonable hypothesis. I am now looking forward to receiving my 4th 7Hi so watch this space..!
I hope that this helps

I had my 7Hi out on Saturday, and I shot about 300+ pics ALL in burst mode (of 3 or 5 FPS) in under 2 hours. I had no problems at all with my camera. . . It was about 0ºF out, so that would have kept the camera from overheating. I love my 7Hi:G
Hope that helps,
Max
KM_krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 5:30 PM   #23

Well...since it was 0F outside, that could definitely help to prevent heat build up. Good thing you mentioned the air temperature.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 7:56 PM   #24

Kenny_Leong wrote:
Quote:
Well...since it was 0F outside, that could definitely help to prevent heat build up. Good thing you mentioned the air temperature.
I was very impressed on how it did however, It got all those pics on only one set of 2300's. I just wish I had a faster CF card.

Max
KM_krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 1:19 PM   #25

Hi Max/KMKrazy and fellow DiMage-ists at Steve's DigiCams,

You give me hope that not every Minolta DiaMge 7 WILL fail the same way a few may have failed. I'd like to see the warranty repair reports!

I'm awaiting a response from http://www.keh.com/ on my return to them so I can use the 100% credit towards another try.

I want a Minolta Dimage 7 for 2 reasons:

1 - cheap since it's the oldest on the market.

2 - IR infrared photography since it's IR filter is milder than most of the more modern cameras.

... okay,

3rd reason is because it's a great camera, specification wise, and

4th, I love Minolta, and

5th, have remotes and flash units that immediately work with this camera.

NOTE: KEH sold me a Japan version (in the US) with

(a) NO warning, and

(b) NO software to allow me to open the RAW files!!!

That in itself is enough to return a camera for 100% credit as "not ready for sale".

What else was wrong with my Minolta DiMage 7?

The [QV Quick View/Trashcan] function came on all by itself, trying to delet my pictures (hit the shutter button to cancel, but it came back over and over again, hot or cold! Cracked circuit board?).

The zoom ring plastic broke where the screws were too tight holding it to the zoom levers. Minolta KNOWS this is a weak inlk since they do NOT tighten the screws, merely applying paint to them to keep them "tight" and to keep them from falling out The paint has NO integrity against the pressure of constant zooming, so someone before me with this used camera must have remedied their loosening by overtightening the screws instead of somehow sealing the crack in the plastic zoom ring with solvent and also reinforcing the plastic ring with something, what, epoxy? Has anyone reinforced the zoom ring?

I LOVED the pictures from my Minolta DiMage 7. The camera, for me, was an odd combination between super high technology rapid fire bracket everything where I was shooting an average 100 thoughful, intentional pictures every day ... and on the other hand ... since the viewfinder and LCD are quite imprecise, I felt like I was going slowly and taking my time composing each shot and focusing as if I were working in MF medium format roll film cameras or even LF large format sheet film cameras - so I got the best of both worlds!

One picture I LOVE in particular is one I shot hand held in the moonlight at 200mm equivalent (actually recorded as 48.68mm = 192mm ... a clue that the plastic ring around the zoom mechanism was cracking and about to fall apart if it would only zoom to 193mm - you must pull on the lens to get it all the way to 200mm) and the EXIF data said f/3.5 - the LARGEST aperture, of course, for a dark shot illuminated only by moonlight, and I had set the ISO to 800, but, odly, the EXIF shutter speed says 0 seconds! It was a hand held shot with a l-o-n-g exposure! I'll try to attach a 400x pixel copy with EXIF data intact.

Also, I've gotten ISO 125 and ISO 160 in my EXIF data, and not all were bracketed exposures.

Has anyone else gotten other ISO setitngs than the specified 100, 200, 400 and 800? I imagine that 1/3rd steps inbetween the existing ISO are possible, but how to control using them?

Has anyone else gotten odd EXIF reporting, such as a series of shots all having the same EXIF data in spite of zooming between them to different focal lengths, yet the focal length change does NOT show up in the EXIF data in subsequent pictures in the series, and so on?

So, that's it with my camera -
Minolta DiMage 7 #17102777 v2.01j:
- dead
- zoom ring broken
- QV/Trash function engaged spontaneously
- no RAW software (a dealer problem)
- a Japan model in the US (a dealer problem)
- EXIF data sometimes wrong

I'll let you all know how the credit and replacement goes.

--
Click!

Love and hugs,

Peter Blaise Monahon
Konica Minolta Olympus Contax Yashica Pentax Canon Nikon Nikkor Vivitar Tamron Samyang Cosina Fujifilm Ilford Kodak
Agfa Adobe Hewlett Packard et cetera Photographer (have I left anyone out?)

[email protected]
http://www.peterblaisephotography.com/
http://www.minoltaphotography.com/

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...230390#p230390
Attached Images

peterblaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2005, 3:45 PM   #26

Someone found a solution for the 'died' Minolta DiMAGE 7 problem??

Harm

The Netherlands

Duncan Paton wrote:
Quote:
I think that I have discovered the problem of the dead 7Hi's.
I received a replacement camera (from the shop where I bought it) after a problem with a missaligned CCD. This camera died on its second outing and I was given a replacement. Unbelievably, this camera died less than 24hrs after I had it and I am now waiting for my fourth camera. To cut a long story short, I reviewed all of the photos that I had taken with the 7Hi and found that the camera had failed after I had taken a lot of pics in quick succession (14 in 30 mins and 36 in 60 mins). These were the only instances where I had done this, all of my other pictures had been taken singly or in groups of two or three. This was the only difference as I had been using the same batteries etc. I concluded that there must be an incompatibility between the camera and the memory card which caused the card/camera to generate heat when the picture was saved. When a large number of pictures are taken in a short space of time, the card/camera did not have time to dissipate the heat and became hotter with each picture until it died. I put this to the shop manager, who contacted their technical department and they agree that this is the probable cause and have agreed to replace the camera and the cards ( with Sandisk Ultra cards). The original cards were oem cards with the shop's logo, so I could not find any info on them on the internet.
Luckily I bought the cards and camera from the same shop.
I cannot guarantee that this is the cause of the problem, however it seem to be a reasonable hypothesis. I am now looking forward to receiving my 4th 7Hi so watch this space..!
I hope that this helps
hrijswijk is offline   Reply With Quote